Quantcast

Trade my Uzzi VPX for a Socom???

Nov 16, 2007
Socom vs. Uzzi VPX???

Basically I'm an ex-bmxer and mainly rode dirt and a little bit of street. I've worked in a badass bike shop in the past for about 5 years which grew me into mtb'ing...particularly DH & FR. Having a BMX dirt background I'd like to say that I'm pretty smooth and don't go hacking and smashing into everything. I had a Santa Cruz Bullit a few years ago but sold it off for several reasons. I now have an Uzzi VPX which I picked up for a great deal (see build below)...

I'm now getting back into it and am super excited about it. I've ridden Diablo a few times now and love it! The bike has felt great so far and I've been riding pretty damn well for the few times I have since getting back into it, and I've ridden basically everything on the mountain. Most of my riding will be at Diablo Free Ride park and Platekill.

With that being said, I can upgrade to a Socom for very little out of pocket $$$ if I wanted to and being I have the chance to right now I was wondering if I should. Would the Socom suite me even better and be even more confidence inspiring???

The build on my Uzzi is as follows:
(Same build will be on the Socom if I do choose to go that route)
- '08 Marzocchi 888 ATA WC
- Hadley hubs laced to Mavic 321/729 rims with DT double butted spokes
- Hayes Mag 8"
- Maxxis Minions F & R
- E13 SRS
- FSA Gravity Light crankset
- Welgo MG1's
- XT shifter, Ultegra der., XTR cassette XT chain
- Gravity Light handlebar
- Cane Creek flushmount headset
- Thomson post, not sure on a saddle yet

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Depends if you want to ride north shore kinda stuff or faster more DH kind of trails.

The geo on the Socom should provide some confidence on faster trailers

Personally, I'd go the Socom regardless. Its a killer bike.

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
Go with Socom if you want to do more faster trails or want to race. Stick with Uzzi if you do more technical trails or Northshore type of riding or if you want to pedal back up the fire road w/ 2 ring setup. Or look into getting M6 if you want to go even faster.

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ
Go with Socom if you want to do more faster trails or want to race. Stick with Uzzi if you do more technical trails or Northshore type of riding or if you want to pedal back up the fire road w/ 2 ring setup. Or look into getting M6 if you want to go even faster.
I wouldn't say the Uzzi is better than a Socom at more technical trails.

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
I wouldn't say the Uzzi is better than a Socom at more technical trails.
Shorter wheelbase, less slack head angle, more upright seat tube angle, generally shorter fork/shock, etc. More trail bike like setup. Plus most riders use Totem or a single crown fork on an Uzzi vs. a Boxxer or something similar on Socom. On tight technical trails where you need to turn fast on switchbacks, I rather be on an Uzzi than a Socom (better yet a 5.5 or another trail bike).

Nov 16, 2007
I'm not really worried about the durability of the Socom, but more so wondering about the geometry itself and how the bike will handle everything.
Will the Socom feel at home everywhere on the mountain and just want to rip all over the place??? Would it be the better overall bike???