Quantcast

Trail Bike Wheels

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I'm going crazy here looking at all the different wheels for my new trail bike. I can't really figure out which I like better, so I thought I'd throw it to the cloud.

Trying to keep my bike light, but mostly durable. Going to run tubeless one way or another, ghetto tubeless is an option. I will go on long XC rides, light downhill and everything in between on this bike. I'm 200 lbs... none of this matters though because my question is this:

If you could have any trail bike wheelset, what would it be?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
If I had my choice for a build, I'd probably go with XM819 rims, DT spokes and King hubs (or other equivalent high end choice). The 819 I have on the back of my Prophet has been awesome: UST makes tubeless easy, super strong for the weight and pretty light.

For pre-built, I have't tried a lot of the stuff out there, but if it were my money, I'd probably go for the new XT or XTR Trail wheelsets. I've heard good things about the XT wheels. Both are tubeless, pretty light and Shimano stuff is usually very durable. Plus, the XTs are not that expensive for what you're getting.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Any wheel set would mean DT Swiss 240 hubs with ENVY carbon rims. Second choice Easton Haven Carbon which are UST tubeless, well built but their hubs are no the best. I have regular Haven's and I am not impressed with the rear hub. Comes loose and I have had to replace some bearings before a year was up. Heck I think I replaced the bearings at 6 months. Stan's Flow rims might be a good choice for you. That way you get to choose hubs of your choice. Chris King, DT Swiss Hope, I9 all have good reputations.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
819s are great rims, but they are pretty narrow. If you are an aggressive cornerer you will feel them roll tires.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Yeah, I actually have 819s crossed off the list. Used to have them front and rear, but it always felt like I was about to blow a bead. Ended up obliterating them on some local trails, so I was thinking a bit wider would be better.

So- carbon, carbon and stans. This is all you guys got? geez.

I.van

Monkey
Apr 15, 2007
Australia
I have ZTR Flows on Hope Pro II's with DT revolution spokes, which seem to work pretty well.

But if money wasn't a problem I would go Easton Havens.

WHEELSET WEIGHT 1650GR

Last edited:

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
I am also 200lbs and Have had great luck with I9's w/ Stans Flows. I rode 240's on Flows before that and the stiffness from the I9's was a noticeable difference.
If cash wasn't an issue, I would buy ENVE's.

RideDirty

Chimp
Mar 7, 2011
Seattle
Im running crossmax SL and couldnt be happier on my Heckler. The complete bike is 29# with talas and rp3. Im also a fan of the UST compatability.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Fulcrum Red Metal XL
They are tubeless, light, wider than a 819 and very durable. They also take every axle configuration.

I have been using I9 enduro's with a Stan's Flow rim for a little over 2 years. They have been amazing too.