Quantcast

Trail gap at SST

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
Saturday at SST was as memorable for me as the day I broke my wrist at Whistler :ouch: ...but for better reasons.

Despite my pessimism, disbelief, theoretical improbability study and every other excuse I could come up with, my buddy Erick showed me that it was in fact possible to do the trail gap even with the missing 12 inches of take-off thanks to heavy rains (rough gues-stimate).

Here's a vid our trail gappage.

SST Trail Gap I recommend viewing in 640.

I'm still jazzed about it.:weee: :dancing:

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
That's my next thing to conquer out there. Although seeing the carnage over the weekend out there has really messed with my mind. Sooo many wrecks and hobbled riders. Must be the sun or something? People are throwin' down and goin' down...

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
i was throwin down all day...till....the very end....when i suddenly ended up on my face with a broken wrist and hand!!!! dude, props on the trail gap. it is awesome, and the hang time is something everyone that rides should experience!!!

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
Sorry about your wrist BigHit. I broke mine at Whistler last summer. It sucks, but I hear it's better than your ankle. You should be good to ride again in a couple months...in time for most of Spring and Summer!

The video shows me on the black bike, and if you slow it down, you'll see that I actually cased the landing. I almost screwed up my ankle on it. I kinda re-tweaked an old dirt jump accident on that landing. The first 2 attempts were great, but I kept going off a little slower at each attempt :nonono: :banghead:

It's all a mind game.

My buddy on the yellow bike actually went first, and showed how it should be done.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
I take it that the pic is BigHit756. I guess I expected to see him on a BigHit, not a Mountain Cycle. Nice one-hander!

I'd like to go back and try to get a picture from this angle:

Liquid10

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Bellingham, WA
That gap is fun, super smooth if you land just below the top of the landing. Here is a bad picture of me hitting it way back in the summer. I should go out riding with a good camera sometime.

Dan89

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
my ass
Big B said:
I take it that the pic is BigHit756. I guess I expected to see him on a BigHit, not a Mountain Cycle. Nice one-hander!

I'd like to go back and try to get a picture from this angle:

yea!!! thats me lol.

thats was one of the best angles imo.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
Jason, nice work. The video is awesome. That gap can certainly produce the hangtime. Well done.

The first time I did it, i didnt really know what to do with myself in the air. It was a wierd feeling. I had never been in the air for that long before. It was such a rush, I hit it again, and wrecked, which put me out for 2 months. This was back in the day, when the run-in was way more sketchy. Maybe I can use that excuse to muster up the courage to hit it again.

Ash

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
GrapeApe79 said:
That's awesome! Ok, I just moved to Issaquah and would be very interested to know where the SST trail is...any hints??? :eek:
Perfectly legal set of trails, no need to whisper. Take I-5 and exit on 200th in SeaTac, go straight for a couple blocks, then continue going straight down a big hill, at the very bottom take a left into a gravel parking lot, and follow the bike tracks or other bikers to the park.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
Netguy said:
Jason, nice work. The video is awesome. That gap can certainly produce the hangtime. Well done.
That's funny, it was kinda the opposite for me. After I hit it, I thought "wow, that was over fast". I think you can get about the same hangtime on the big gap on the table.

The little step-up after the drop is fun too.

The run in is much cleaner from what I've heard, but you still have to remember to hit the gas. Speed is your friend.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
Big B said:
Let me know if you need a crash test dummy help you gauge the speed. :looney:

I'd be happy to huck myself for a good cause.
Cool thanks for the invite. I look at it, each time I ride Seatac, and know I will hit it again sooner or later. I just dont need another injury right now, as I am doing some rehab for a lower back injury.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
Netguy said:
I just dont need another injury right now, as I am doing some rehab for a lower back injury.
I'd skip it. Live to ride another day. It's not like there's a Race Face sponsorship, $10k and free beer for year balancing on your ability to do a superman off the gap. :trophy_br

'bout the best you can hope for is a few atta-boys here on RM.

Besides, we all know your the shiznit!:D

Aug 6, 2005
can you guys tell me what its like landing it? do you need crazy speed, cuz it looks hard to get from the short run-up... is it even smooth?

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
bikingisbetter said:
can you guys tell me what its like landing it? do you need crazy speed, cuz it looks hard to get from the short run-up... is it even smooth?
If you hit the transition, it's super smooth. You could even do it on a hardtail. If you don't hit the tranny...well, it can get ugly fast. Think sprained/broken ankles and such.

The trail is curvy with some roots, and then it's a small, straight section to the edge. You have to keep your speed through the roots because speed is necessary. You can't have to much. There is a little bump 20-30' up the trail where we started from. Pedal like mad and DO NOT hit your brakes.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
Big B said:
I'd skip it. Live to ride another day. It's not like there's a Race Face sponsorship, $10k and free beer for year balancing on your ability to do a superman off the gap. :trophy_br

'bout the best you can hope for is a few atta-boys here on RM.

Besides, we all know your the shiznit!:D
I hear ya on that. I still have not done the big gap on the bottom table yet. I have not rode the bike now for about a month cause of the injury, however I am not to bothered about it, as I am moving to Whistler on May 1st for the entire summer.:love: I should be able to find a trail or two to ride up there! I will PM you my details, so you can let me know when you are up.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
Netguy said:
... as I am moving to Whistler on May 1st for the entire summer.:love:
umm...can we trade lives? I think I can pick up the networking thing.

Lets see...the phone cord looking thingy get plugged in the pc. ...and the other end goes in this thingy... Hey, why doesn't this thing work! It's plugged in!

Ok, where'd I put my Verizon starter kit instructions?

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
Showa was hitting that gap up on Sunday but we forgot the camera(gah). He also was flyin high on the double at the end of the flow park (kicker)w00t!!! Ya but me i suck w00t landed flat on my back doing somthin stupid got taken out in an aid car it made for an interesting day

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
uh, for the trail gap, all you gotta do is pedal maybe twice up top before the roots, then maybe one more and then just coast...speed is not really a big factor...you dont want to land flat off it!!!!! its a really easy gap though to clear.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
BIGHIT756 said:
uh, for the trail gap, all you gotta do is pedal maybe twice up top before the roots, then maybe one more and then just coast...speed is not really a big factor...you dont want to land flat off it!!!!! its a really easy gap though to clear.
I would love to see you do that gap with just 3 pedals.:rolleyes:

If your going to give someone advice, at least error on the side of caution.

...and there's no chance of flat landing that gap.

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
ive shown a ton of people how to do that gap, and so far ive only had one person mess up, and thats only cuz he pedaled TOO much before it and landed too far after the tranny. you cant pedal more than two to three times before the take off. i just want people to know not to pedal too much before it cuz it sucks landing flat.

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
Figure it out yerself its all about the rider, every rider is diffrent so some may say you need more pedal strokes than others, but the only true way to know is to go and try it!

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
haha...im not trying to be better or something, im just saying i only pedal like 3 times then coast...i mean some people do it differently...and thats cool!! at least people are doing it and letting everyone know that its not a huge and impossible stunt...its just intimidating!!!! if you are a pretty good rider, and you have pretty good control on your bike, and in the air, and you got some guts...you got the trail gap. and once you get it, you will do it again and again and again!!!!