Quantcast

Trail repair?

adarmiento

Monkey
Mar 15, 2007
Just wondering why the dirt jump after the sram berm was cut down to nothing .A few weeks ago the first jump was removed and now the other one was cut in half which really makes it more dangerous you don't have enough air to clear the little gap now . Also after doms denial at the berm to the rail road ties theres a pile of rocks thrown in the trail so now if you don't slow down and forget there there you will go o.t.b .I thought it was fine before they put the rocks there you did not have to brake ,you could flow on through the hole section it was sweet.

sweetbabyd

Chimp
May 20, 2007
Bucks County, PA
Ant,
i haven't been to the mountain in over a month, so i'm not sure what happened to the jumps, but i know what you mean about the rocks around the water bars below Doms.
it was nice when you could actually take the line right off of the top of the bars, but then that was taped off too. that whole area really is a bit of a mess now.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
There's no reason at all that they aren't working on the trails there. At $38 per ticket, there's no reason they can't hire some full time workers. I haven't been down in 3-4 weeks myself and what you're describing was there for over 2 months now. As always though, they put in one new "picture perfect" feature and clear the trails for opening and let it go for the rest of the season. What do I mean "picture perfect"? A feature that everyone wants a pic of them hitting or the credit of taking that one awesome pic. Dominion one year, then the Flume and deck, Anthem and Doms, and this year the Cannon. Great work on putting these features in, don't get me wrong. But once the first couple weeks go by, the crew seems to disappear.

In another thread, someone mentioned doing voluntary trail work. Let me tell you about voluntary trail work... EVERYONE says they'll help, but when the time comes, no one shows. Maybe 5 people will show today (out of the 60 that said they'll help), but one guy wants to work on Alpine, someone else on BMW... You know how much work actually gets done? Next to nothing! Even if 5 people showed up and worked together not much would get done the correct way. There are plans to follow, water needs to be routed correctly, ditches cleared, rocks left where they are and others moved...

The crew follows IMBA's rules to a good extent. But they don't maintain after the trails are built. EC

Last edited:

G30RG3ryan

Monkey
Feb 24, 2002
Sparta, NJ
After Dom's Denial - rocks were put there to help stop erosion. That hill would have gotten destroyed within the next year or so if nothing was done to help erosion control.

The wedge "pro" jumps, have been downsized because the wood supports that were holding the dirt in shape had collapsed.

adarmiento

Monkey
Mar 15, 2007
Hey george are they going to rebuild the little step ups after the sram berm? just wondering they were alot of fun.

Dayum!! I noticed the first cheese block gone a few weeks ago and I go today and the bigger one was knocked completely over and just a little hump/roller and that darn little water bar remained. almost treacherous!!

like stated above: ANY chance these will be put back or something similar put in it's place??

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
i agree its tough to hire voluntary trail crew for some work...BUT things like weed wacking, rock picking, sweeping trails (not literal term) and things like that are brainless you don't need to be IMBA certified to do that. Also if a manager or qualified trail construction worker went and showed these volunteers EXACTLY wat was desired, even if that took an hour which would provide ample time for a very detailed description of the work you would think that the end result wouldn't stray much from the desired product. But i gotta say i align my opinion not too far from electric city's...wat happened to the construction of the new DH trail that was scheduled to be done before opening weekend....i'll stop there...

AtomikMan

Chimp
Nov 12, 2007
United States of America
1) I also noticed the TWO "cheese wedges" turned into ONE earlier this season; Yeah, one wedge WAS good......but one roller? Nah, not so good.

2) When something collapses why not FIX it? Morning Wood, Evil Bob, Waterboy, and now the Cheese Wedges........is everything on the mountain going to just fade away when it breaks or gets washed out? Case in point: for two years, the step down from Tempest into (what remains of) Waterboy has eroded into nuffin.

3) Don't get me wrong, I love the Diablo crew.......however, many of the complaints people have, could be fixed even with a skeleton crew. Unfortunately, the way things are going, "Triple Roll" might once again become Triple Drop, Dominion might eventually become the whoops that Dennis wants, and Salvation will surely be something only Kris Holm will be able to bunny hop onto. :)

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
If i *and i will literally do this* make a ladder, can we put it on top of the doms denial steps that whole section is a disaster and from what i hear now you cant go around the stairs to the left? I ride flats with 510s and i am still terrified to ride down those, ill even make the ladder if i get permission to, that section is a disaster, And i agree that its bull**** diablo wont fix anything, how hard is it really to rebuild 1 bridge on waterboy for a fallen tree, its a real shame what that mountain is turning into if u do not feel like riding dominion to alpine.

And flume drop, Move the tape and its a perfectly ridable trail, sure there is a little notch on the bottom of the tranny, but i think it would be really fun to kinda hip off the drop

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
i don't think flume can be re-opened due to ski stuff on that slope, i could be wrong but if thats the case can't really blame them for keeping it closed....it seems like this is the beginning of a power shift in regards to "dominate mountain" on the east coast as other resorts are really stepping up their efforts...

....top of the doms denial steps that whole section is a disaster and from what i hear now you cant go around the stairs to the left? I ride flats with 510s and i am still terrified to ride down those....

Are you talking about the stairs before IX??

There is tape closing the left hand line and rocks on the right edge. But if you're careful and have a little bit of momentum; the stairs are totally rideable. I feel better bombing those steps than to ride the left line around the stairs. The only "problem" with the stairs line is it puts you directly in line with that little box-ie drop/jump thing at the bottom....so you have to take the drop/jump or bank hard around it.

But I agree...........the trial guys do a good job.....but there still shouldn't be so many issues with a full time paid trail crew.

I think the trail crew has been spending too much time on race courses and the IX and the new drop lines( pipe line et al) and need to space out some time for the rest of the mountain.

I'm not a big air guy and I noticed the lips on dominion are a little fuzzy and some trails have giant brake ruts that are totally fix-able.

and the run into Domboo's ladder is down right SCARY.....and that's a "green: easiest way down" trail...wow!

I have to drive almost 2 hrs and drop 40 bux.....and I'm sorry to say this but....I expect a little more tlc. JM2C

with all that being said.......I know that trail work is back breaking un-sung work and I do appreciate the work being done......on the whole!

so.......THX....i guess!:eek:

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
In defense of TM... We did have a LOT of rain this summer. But I do agree, some things could use some love.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
The stairs before indyX aren't a huge issue to me. There's a little bit of dirt just to the left of the stairs so I usually just hit the first two stairs, then ride just to the left of them. It's not a fast line or anything but it works. Besides, that whole section is just an intermediary to get you to indyX or lower ripper.

Are the trails really in way worse shape than they were August of last season? I feel like everything gets a bit haggard by this point. Maybe we just forget.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
The stairs before indyX aren't a huge issue to me. There's a little bit of dirt just to the left of the stairs so I usually just hit the first two stairs, then ride just to the left of them. It's not a fast line or anything but it works.
Yup...

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I hate to be the one who says it... but even Platty has been seeing more regular maintenance and trail/race course construction this year.

But then again Diablo is normally blown out by this time of the season so what do we really expect?

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
also you can jus gap off the first stair to the left of the stairs and its smooth dirt...I'd just like to see some more work on other trails besides dominion and even a little trail construction. What I would especially like to see (even though its a rather large under-taking) would be the construction of a 100% beginner run for after greenhorn, to cover the part of the mtn that alpine/domboo cover. XC riders and rental riders destroy alpine/domboo with skidding etc and really don't seem to comfortable on either trail, i think a easy, pure dirt no jumps etc trail that's super mellow would help curtail traffic off these 2 main trails and help maintain the trails' condition...but hey what do i know

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
George was saying that they were going to make a line on domboo that insead of heading right and making a left onto the death bridge, would stay straight and pop out under it, it would cut out a small portion of what we ride on domboo now, but seemed like a great idea, my guess is lack of time or money.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
I think domboo should be re-signed if anything. I think we can all agree that it's not a "green" trail. Domboo easier than upper breakout? Please...

There's a number of other trails on the mountain that are mislabeled in my opinion.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I think domboo should be re-signed if anything. I think we can all agree that it's not a "green" trail. Domboo easier than upper breakout? Please...

There's a number of other trails on the mountain that are mislabeled in my opinion.
Perhaps most of the Diamond trails need to be re-labeled Blue as well. recent forays to other resorts left me with this realization.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
yea those tables on pipeline are definitely on the tricky side i just hope diablo gets their **** together cuz honestly the numbers don't lie, when they started domination series they'd have over 100 riders in the am men category, now even including am jr i highly doubt they're even close to 100 riders....

jbro

Chimp
Apr 13, 2007
There is what looks like part of a berm just between doms denial drop and the go around for it, Stop just before the landing of doms and look to the right of the launch. The berm looks almost complete and it wouldnt take to much work to renovate it. If that berm was completed that section would be smooth and fast.

illflip

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Newark, NJ
There is what looks like part of a berm just between doms denial drop and the go around for it, Stop just before the landing of doms and look to the right of the launch. The berm looks almost complete and it wouldnt take to much work to renovate it. If that berm was completed that section would be smooth and fast.
i think you're talking about the berm they use for the Open. not the one in front of IndyX, but right after crap chute. another trail feature closed for races.

Perhaps most of the Diamond trails need to be re-labeled Blue as well. recent forays to other resorts left me with this realization.

Hell Yes!! After riding some other spots.....these trail markers seem soft for it's "grading".

No Sh*t!! DOmboo is way harder! and looser which equals scary! I watched some dude on a rental yesterday almost bit it hard on that bridge....he did a track stand at the very top and was able to land himself on the right( read: top not bottom) of the "death bridge". Yeow!! That would hurt like hell!!

To add a question:

What do you all think the reason is some trails receive a double black and other don't?

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
What do you all think the reason is some trails receive a double black and other don't?
I'm pretty sure the rule of thumb is any trail with a man-made stunt feature (wall-ride/table/double) gets a black or double black. Deviant and Ego Trip are the only exceptions that I can think of.

Last edited:

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
One day I was standing at the new 13' drop waiting for my buddy to hit it. I ran into one of the trail guys who said he was going to close pipeline(7' drop). There was about 5-6 other riders there and asked what else was planned for this year. I asked for more DH stuff and was told that they were working on a new Deliverance or something on that side of the mountain and that it would be opened in a week or two. I believe this was within the first 3 weeks of them being open.

So... They didn't open that did they? The most used trails are falling apart. The fun tech stuff that some of us love doesn't get repaired or maintained in general...

Demo9, this isn't directed at you. I'm just using your line. "my guess is lack of time or money." Are you kidding me? The email I got this week says that they had over 500 riders despite the heat. Lacking money? I don't think so. Even if ther were all season passes. Do the math and tell me they're low on funds. Plus the USO! Where's this money going? EC

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Not defending diablo at all but for what its worth, that lift costs a TON of electricity, and on the weekdays when i go, i see 5-10 people, most having season passes, i am not saying that diablo is going bankrupt, but ive heard that lift is ridiculously expensive, and im sure insurance isnt cheap either.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
Everyone is complaining because diablo is all they ride. If everyone rode other things, maybe they wouldn't complain. Normally by this time in the season I like to ride a lot of dirt jumps, because they are in the shade, and I enjoy dirt jumping a lot. This is the east coast. sketchy happens. But as for the closing of evil bob and morning wood. Inexcusable. Those aren't even trails, they are water run off with drunken gorilla wood work. Whats there to clear either than the piece of red tape blocking off the trail.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
I agree with TheTruth....

I haven't been to diablo in over a month because i'm kind of bored with Diablo.... But, that is not Diablo Freeride Park's fault... that is my fault... i go there so much.... i guess i over exposed myself to diablo....

Instead, i took a month and change off and should be back riding in September...

There are other parks some folks should try out... I been to Highland... AWESOME place... Platty is great, i wanna try out Seven Springs, although it's small i heard it's fun....

I think we all forgot what DH is all about.... c'mon guys, this is DH with 9inch travel bikes... F@ck Groomed trails.... If i wanted to ride groomed trails i'd get a road bike and ride the streets..... :-)

With that said... Lets F@cking ride...................

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
Sounds like a reasonable answer. But how do "you" account for Deceit, Utah, BMW, et al???
Those are difficult trails, so obviously they would be labeled black or double black. I was talking about the non-natural DH trails.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
I think we all forgot what DH is all about.... c'mon guys, this is DH with 9inch travel bikes... F@ck Groomed trails.... If i wanted to ride groomed trails i'd get a road bike and ride the streets.....
In fairness, nobody here is saying that they WANT to ride a groomed, mellow top to bottom run. However, I think it doesn't make sense to have Greenhorn/ego trip/deviant all basically covering the same part of the mountain...and all funnelling into Domboo, which is a LOT more difficult. It's a question of consistency. If there's a commitment to building beginner stuff, I think it can be done in a more cohesive way.

At the end of the day, do I really care? No, I hate riding greenhorn and really only do it if I feel like taking the salvation kickers.

This is all just for the sake of discussion, which is sort of irrelevant by definition anyway, since the Diablo administration doesn't even read/post here anymore because of their new pinkbike sponsorship.

Bikezilla

Chimp
Dec 4, 2006
Some quick thoughts:
Please sweep the marbles out of the berms on Alpine and IndyX.

The kickers to Salvation and the box on upper Doms aren't sufficient unless you know you need to hop up to avoid casing the leading edge of the feature. I've seen MANY people buy the farm on Salvation b/c they case the ladder getting on and panic before getting to the end. They usually end up skidding off trying to stop. This isn't a necessary difficulty IMO.

The turn and steps after Denial are sketchy w/o interest. It's more neglect than challange IMO.

As for Volunteer days... IMO having paid $$$ for a season pass, it seems a lot to ask for people to come in and help keep the park up. BUT

I think a decent compromise would be to offer $75 off of the pre-season pass price for people who join a work crew for 4+ hrs. Then plan weekly maint days, close one trail for one day a week and have the park crew and volunteers work it from top to bottom, everyone who's there at the end of the day (as verified by park crew) gets a discount on the season pass. Maybe people can come more than once and be allowed to apply the discount to a friend, family member or significant-other.

Whadya think?

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
Some quick thoughts:
I've seen MANY people buy the farm on Salvation b/c they case the ladder getting on and panic before getting to the end. They usually end up skidding off trying to stop. This isn't a necessary difficulty IMO.
They need to go faster and not panic. It's not the feature's fault.

Fall Guy

Chimp
Sep 4, 2007
Some quick thoughts:
Please sweep the marbles out of the berms on Alpine and IndyX.

The kickers to Salvation and the box on upper Doms aren't sufficient unless you know you need to hop up to avoid casing the leading edge of the feature. I've seen MANY people buy the farm on Salvation b/c they case the ladder getting on and panic before getting to the end. They usually end up skidding off trying to stop. This isn't a necessary difficulty IMO.

I agree that the little kicker onto salvation should have a slightly larger lip. I catch my rear wheel on that occasionally which sketches me a bit because last year I watched someone else do the same thing and they fell off the end.