Quantcast

trail riders: handlebar length

crkt

Monkey
Nov 5, 2008
In the woods
I just started bmxing a few months ago, I cut my bars down to 23 because thats what I was used to running on my mountain bike and I liked the feel for barspins and x ups

now I pretty much only ride the bmx and 90% of the time I ride my trails so now im looking for something a little less twitchy. how long do most of you run your bars? im not struggling by any means but birthday money is coming in soon and I think its about time I invested in some longer bars

any suggestions would be sweet too, I have no idea what to look for in handlebars

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
All personal preference. I used to ride 26" wide bars, slowly drifted down to about 23" and am now back to 26". If you have wider shoulders typically it works best to have wider bars. You get more leverage regardless, not to mention the trend right now is to have wide bars.

On another note, be sure to look at the angles of up and back sweep on your current bars. Bars that have less are uncomfortable to me, they might be fine for you, but I'm a little picky in that area (I hate the way slam bars feel bent, and a lot of companies copy those angles, but then again a lot of people love slams).

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
imo it's all about personal pref, but a guy I know that has been riding bikes for ages swears that your bars should be roughly as wide as your shoulders; works for me indeed.
off course there's also trend.. seems to me that since some years wide bars have been trendy, but I really can't say I've seen riders improve greatly when switching to superwide bars, it just made some of them look more ridiculous (picture teenagers with small chests running mega bars, looks awkward)

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
im lovin the way these look, there anything you dislike about them?
absolutely nothing. by far the best bars i have ever ridden in my life. i want to get a pair of custom solid bars with gt santa ana specs just to try it out (10x28-29"). i've heard the actually feel surprisingly good. but definitely get lumberjacks man. they're like slams but better

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
question for wide bar riders: for barspins, do you swing it from the end of the bar (with your hand on the grip) or do you choke up on the bar a lot?

mdowney

Chimp
Jan 5, 2009
St. John's Newfoundland
you should hold your bars as far to the end as possible. say you have full 28'' bars but hold them in 2 inches from each end you might as well just cut them down. the reason for wide bars is more control so it only makes sense to hold the bars as wide as possible for the most control.

as for barspins they are tricky with wide bars but it teaches you to keep your knees back and throw real quick.

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
Mutiny glam bars baby! 29 inches uncut!!!! wide bars are better, narrow bars are for kids that cant ride anything but a factor x.

crkt

Monkey
Nov 5, 2008
In the woods
i have small shoulders... 17 inches, you can see in the picture my tiny ass bars are even wider than my shoulders already but they still feel waaay too twitchy. im going for the lumberjacks, chances are il cut them down a little bit but still a worthy investment

newrider3

Monkey
Oct 13, 2007
Colorado
25.5 here, because anything smaller feels like trying to ride with your hands in the middle of the crossbar. And plus, 28" bars feels like you're driving a bus.

crkt

Monkey
Nov 5, 2008
In the woods
grom-dom thanks so much for the lumberjack rec dude i just took them out for the first time on a little street mission, i can feel a huge difference in control already. cant wait to get back out riding the trails after diggin is dun

giffels

Chimp
Nov 4, 2007
I ride the new fmb big ape bars 28.5 wide and love it, i used to ride narrow ass bars but sooo much more control with wider bars, You really notice the control difference in dh, htus my dh bike has 31in wide bars :)