Quantcast

Trail/short travel play bike.....again

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
I know pretty much exactly what im looking for after borowing a RM slayer, im basically looking for somthing shorter travel than that, allitle lighter, but with adjustable agressive geometry that i can realy work the trail on but wont feel sketchy like conventionsl xc bikes also jumping is important. The prophet MX seems perfect but i cant get that through my sponsor so that means extra $ so any other suggestions? The only other two are the sc blur 4x, but id be woried itd have alittle too little travle (looking at about 5) or after seing a vid on here im concidering the mkIII but it lacks aboit of adjustability.

Any suggestions arround that price mark would be good.

:cheers:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I second my bottlerocket i ride in for DH around here in the east, but just did epic xc rides in fruita on it...It is a versatile tool if you set it up right. I really like it for trail riding with the dhx air/36/mavic crossmax xl set up...

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I second my bottlerocket i ride in for DH around here in the east, but just did epic xc rides in fruita on it...It is a versatile tool if you set it up right. I really like it for trail riding with the dhx air/36/mavic crossmax xl set up...
Are you runnin dual chainring up front? If not then what kinda gears are you running?

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
not that the bottlerocket isn't a great frame, but at 9lbs you could find a lot lighter for trail/jumping.......double?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
That's my opinion on the BR as well, for 5" of travel, there are a LOT lighter frames out there.
I'm running a Special-ed Enduro Sx that I fitted an Avy shock to. It now has 6" of travel and feels like a DH rig...I'm thinking about putting it back down to the 4" of travel via air shock. Just don't know about the 66 RC2X. It would be too much fork then, but I love it...

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
sxt is a great bike but can come in on the heavy side 38lbs, some guys are claiming 35lb but that going tubless and single ply tires. I could never get away with that riding at Diablo.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Are you runnin dual chainring up front? If not then what kinda gears are you running?
I am running a single ring 32t with an e.13 guide 34t cassette in the back. Keep in mind i am a XC rider as much as i am a dh'er so im not used to pedaling huge bikes around and i still feel this thing pedals well for xc...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
That's my opinion on the BR as well, for 5" of travel, there are a LOT lighter frames out there.
I'm running a Special-ed Enduro Sx that I fitted an Avy shock to. It now has 6" of travel and feels like a DH rig...I'm thinking about putting it back down to the 4" of travel via air shock. Just don't know about the 66 RC2X. It would be too much fork then, but I love it...
I see your point, something like a 5 spot would be nice but you just have to realize it's alot lighter and more brittle bike. Just depends on what you need, i wouldnt want to use the 5 spot as a dedicated jumper.

I was riding in fruita and moab with a buddy on an sx, he took the br for a pedal and felt that it pedaled better than his bike. We were both running DHX shocks.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I would not worry about travel nearly as much as geometry.
That is more important than anything.
I rode a Turner 5 spot for two years, and now have the SX with 4.2 inches of travel. The 5 spot was a GREAT xc trail bike, it was downright perfect for what it was designed for,
BUT it handles nothing like the SX.
When it comes to a bike that you can DJ, rail trails, and feel totally comfortable on even fully pinned for DH, the FS slalom bikes are incredible. Just make sure you get on with a long enough top tube for trailriding. I know the SX and the Blur 4x have this, and I am sure there are others as well.

sAFETY

Chimp
Mar 5, 2007
Earlier this year I was looking for a shorter travel play bike that I could use as a backup when my DH rig is out of commision, ride on some of the less insance north shore trails, and even do some light XC (at the beginning of the season I always think I'm going to ride some XC but never do).

I picked up a Brodie Zealot:
http://www.brodiebikes.com/2007/2007_bikes/zealot.php

So far it hasn't disappointed. It pedals great, handles the local DH trails without complaint (though at much slower speeds), and isn't too bad in the air either.

They make a similar bike for 4cross/slopestyle that might suit you if you're looking for something less all-mountain (I'd be on one if they made one in my size).

http://www.brodiebikes.com/2007/2007_bikes/dissident.php

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I would not worry about travel nearly as much as geometry.
That is more important than anything.
I rode a Turner 5 spot for two years, and now have the SX with 4.2 inches of travel. The 5 spot was a GREAT xc trail bike, it was downright perfect for what it was designed for,
BUT it handles nothing like the SX.
When it comes to a bike that you can DJ, rail trails, and feel totally comfortable on even fully pinned for DH, the FS slalom bikes are incredible. Just make sure you get on with a long enough top tube for trailriding. I know the SX and the Blur 4x have this, and I am sure there are others as well.

:imstupid: he said what i meant but better...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
sxt is a great bike but can come in on the heavy side 38lbs, some guys are claiming 35lb but that going tubless and single ply tires. I could never get away with that riding at Diablo.
Mine weighs 37 with a 66 RC2X, Bombshell Fatdaddy rims, Diablos cranks, 2 rings, and DH Nevegals. An air shock and some single plys would easily put it in the 34 range, I could see less VERY possible.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
except with the commencal the seat angle is pretty slack. between the mk3 and the blur, i'd say blur because i know from talking to a bunch of people that the geo is pretty much dialed, and it also has a nice burly tubeset that will handle everything. if you want a really responsive ride that will react to your every pedaling movement, the blur is a good choice because the vpp really responds to pedal pressure.

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
id just like to clar a few things up the sx trali is far too much, what i was saying about the slayer, its a great bike but its 6" back and front and about 33lbs(?) which compared to my new sunn at 36.5 lbs with just over 7" isnt allot of difference so i was looking for somthing that has the geo which makes me more comfortable on the slayer but with the ability to work the trail more and with that it should be quicker untill the suspention limits me so thats why im looking more at 30/31 lbs 5" bikes or justs under. I do like the sx(4.2") but i dont thisk its avaliable in the uk. MkIII i know very little about how it rides downhill asa ive only just started thinking about it, i also dont know a huge amount about the profet even though a few days ago (untill i found i couldnt get it from my sponsor) i was deffinately going to get it because it seems so versitile and its been used sucessfully for 4x so it must jump etc. well.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
My arrow DS3 was a neat bike for jumping and pumping, but the low BB was too much on trails. I had 24's on it, so that had a lot to do with it, but the geo was spot on. I used it for DH a couple of times.

It didn't pedal well, but if you PUSH the shock it might not be too bad. Something to consider as they aren't that expensive and build up pretty like.

Avent had the Arson or something like that that looked small and tight, and was relatively cheap as well. I'd love to check one out but I have no mooooooney.

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
I'll speak for what I own.
Heckler ("wife's bike", HA!) is pretty damn light. Adjustable via diffrent shock i2i. Maybe an air(trail) and a coil(DH) option ? Can be had cheap and durability speaks for itself. 30#+-
I love the Bullit (can't bring myself to sell it) w/ adjustable geometry and <6" travel. Maybe has the edge on DH vs BR. Comes in @ 35#
The Bottlerocket however is just amazing as a one bike. 35# Gets the nod on stiffness, jumps, cornering and climbs.
The 3 frames are all winners.
RFX ? Dunno but I hear very good things on them. Deals are out there on 06's

skerb

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Clemson,SC
i can hear the dualing banjos from here
i guess i should stop taking pics in front of my room mates beer pong table...hes from OHIO and i guess he wants to be southern...he painted it on there...

i think i get more comments on the beerpong table than my preston:D

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
have a look at the Transition Covert as well.......looks like a solid bike.....slightly slacker but with real nice seat tube angle...

....according to worthless internet banter they are supposed to be a solid company to deal with.....for whatever that's worth....

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
i have 4 rides now on my transition covert, and the geo rules. carves turns better than any 5 to 6 inch sub-8 lb bike i've been on. my size large frame, with RP23 float and seat collar QR, weighed 3400 g. so the size medium should weigh just around 7.1 - 7.2 lbs.

only negative is that my large volume rear tire could hit the seattube on a bottom-out, based on taking the air out of the RP23. so i'm looking for a UST tire with a 2.2- 2.3 inch tread width that has a relatively low sidewall height. any ideas? thinking maxxis and kenda....

another bonus -- you can get 'em for under a grand.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
i guess i should stop taking pics in front of my room mates beer pong table...hes from OHIO and i guess he wants to be southern...he painted it on there...

i think i get more comments on the beerpong table than my preston:D
nice bike:thumb:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I was looking for the same thing on a budget of ~$1500 for everything. Found a '05 cannondale prophet 1000 that I liked, it ships out to me on thursday.

I also looked at the heckler and covert, one of the things that really sold me on the prophet was the adjustable geo. You can change the shock position on the swing arm to give you either a 67.5* HA or 69* between that and availability within my price range I couldn't really go wrong.

The other bike that looked like a sweet fun bike was the Orange Patriot XCEL. I was only able to find one within my price range and it was a medium. If I had a bit more cash, I think i'd probably pick one of these up instead.

capt.crispy

Monkey
Apr 18, 2006
Farmington,New Mexico
I think the blur 4x or a heckler are a great idea.The blur feels alot more plush than the travel would lead you to believe.
The heckler is a great all around bike and feels really confident,great bike.Although I would love to own a bottlerocket.