Quantcast

Trail Work

Nolan

Chimp
Jul 30, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
So.. Dare i speak its name... i will be working on the trail tommarow (thursday), ill be up there around 3 o clock after class.

I have about a dozen 5 gallon water containers but i dont have any transportation for them. I know we will need a lot of water for the rest of the jumps/burms on the trail so if you think you can give me a ride up with them sometime, maybe this weekend give me a pm and let me know. I live in capitola over by new brighton.

Never seen anyone so upset over some ladders built, that apparently are hazardous with holes everywhere... Thoes holes are dangerous, especially someone that mountain bikes. Anyway... probably for the better i deleted the thread.

If you want pictures of this trail give me a pm, and for dirrections pm me, or go out there riding for a few days and find it yourself as one person suggested.. hint, its in wilder ranch somewhere.

GiantRider

Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Nor. Ca. Santa Cruz ,Mang
Its not the fact that people are pissed about the stunts being built or that they are too hard to ride ;the point is that for the most part all us old timer S.C. riders have been dealing with this type of thing for years and we have seen trails closed down because of stunts being built, and we would rather have a certain trail as is than not at all.Alot of people that have built stuff in S.C. that I know are college guys and they are only here for a few years so when a trail is closed down they dont even miss it.I do now and always have done trail work so keep it up just dont get to crazy out there.I would love to have more shore stunts here(i dream about building stunts in my sleep)but unless they are built on hidden trails we will always have problems.Sorry if i sound like everyones dad.

elderz

Chimp
Jul 31, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
while i see where you are coming from, i would like to make a couple of points.
1) Nolan and I have lived here our entire lives and are very invested in the area and biking as a whole.
2) This trail is closed, simply for us to be riding on it is tresspassing regardless of which way you come in.
3) Mailbox is what it is today because of people's work on it. True some of it has been bulldozed or cut apart in the past, but even the sharp little curves with burms are because people went out and spent time and energy enriching the trail.

just my input

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I agree 100% Elderz, the work being done is by locals, from different age groups, and riding disciplines. A few people need to quit the "I told you so" bitching, and apreciate the fact that a few people are dealing with the risks to build stunts for everyone to ride and enjoy. Stop worrying, and go do the one thing we all have in common RIDE YOUR BIKES!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
We didn't delete the old thread just to re-hash the same info again! Let's drop it and just do our thing out there...

I can deliver water/supplies most anytime but I really don't like driving out there so I'd prefer to do it at night.

Don't forget that no one is slaggin' your guys work! I guess it's just the "presentaion" on the WORLD WIDE WEB that is the perceived problem for a few people. lets try hard not to mention any specific trail names etc. in this or any threads, we all know where and what is being discussed so keep it vague for your own protection!!!

Thanks again for your hard work out there, it has breathed new life into a tired trail.
I will be out there this afternoon as well...

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
squarewheels said:
speaking of that new trail, anyone got poison oak as badly as me from being in there? ankles, back of my knees, elbows, and forearms. gah! i hate this sh*t!
Did you give Marz a return address with the RA#? If not you might want to, I shipped the fork monday...

dots of oak here and there but nothing too bad...

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
yeah, i gave 'em my address when i called. maybe i'll call 'em again tomorrow and double check. i gotta call romic too, see what the status of my shock is.

thanks again for taking care of that for me, sean. saves me a week of not being on the bike later on.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I haven't gotten any yet, and its scaring me, I'm waiting for the day I get it from head to toe.

Niiiiiice... Well, don't want to get into the middle of the "should these be here?" debate, but we rode in Sunday and definitley enjoyed the stunt. What a rush. At first I was sketched to even ride up and over the dang thing, but after my buddy Scott busted the drop on his Surly ht (man he is good...), I went for it and was surprised on how smooth it was. Three of us tried to do the two doubles after the downhill ladder, but could only manage to do the first one (we kept stopping before hitting the second one out of the birmmed turn, as none of us felt we had the speed).

BTW, I had my first good digger in a while on the "stump jump" down the trail - the one right before the smaller ladder drop. OTB, and hit the ground so hard it completely knocked the wind out of me. A big thank you to my full face for saving my face from getting abused. About 75% of the time that I hit that jump (on both my trail bike and DH bike), my back-end gets bucked high and I end up riding a nose wheelie on the landing. This time I couldn't bring the back down and went OTB. Something about that take off really sucks for me (and I always try to keep my weight back) - anyone else have that problem? Looks like people have been working on the landing (extending it out), but I think the take off needs to be made a bit less lippy or something...

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
mtbhead said:
BTW, I had my first good digger in a while on the "stump jump" down the trail - the one right before the smaller ladder drop. OTB, and hit the ground so hard it completely knocked the wind out of me. A big thank you to my full face for saving my face from getting abused. About 75% of the time that I hit that jump (on both my trail bike and DH bike), my back-end gets bucked high and I end up riding a nose wheelie on the landing. This time I couldn't bring the back down and went OTB. Something about that take off really sucks for me (and I always try to keep my weight back) - anyone else have that problem? Looks like people have been working on the landing (extending it out), but I think the take off needs to be made a bit less lippy or something...
It's because the lip is the actual tree trunk and as the dirt for the take-off tranny erodes away, the wood remains and becomes more like coping which is what casues your rear tire to pop up like that. That jump needs work...

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
Forum newbie here... just heard about this site from Chaz. Good meeting you and everyone else whose names I can't remember on Sunday! (I was the guy out there all day on the silver Enduro... with friggin' bar ends no less! :thumb: ). Great job on the trail. Hope it stays around for a while. I had a great time there this weekend hitting that stunt, and finally reached a longtime goal of hitting all the stunts on the trail (it helped a lot to watch others doing them). Looking forward to more, and helping out when I can!

Jim

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
Hey Rich, nice meeting you too - and thanks for the lift!

Unfortunately, I probably won't be out on the trails anytime soon, as I just became bikeless :mad: ... Please keep an eye out for my bike, and if you see it, kick the dude's ass who's riding it, THEN call me!

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
Rich - Thanks... definitely let me know if you have any leads.

Chaz - It was stolen off my car rack downtown (Chestnut and Squid Row), after sawing through a 1/4" steel cable, just this morning. More details here .

goin' medium

Chimp
Jul 31, 2003
Newark, CA
That sucks! Great riding with you, sorry about your bike. (I was on the big Norco) I will keep an eye out in the Fremont area. I wrote down the serial #. Very good description. Should make it easy to spot.

Scott

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Jim, this is Doss, I ride the single speed Planet X. that sucks about your bike, I will be looking for it! If I see it on the trail, I diffinatly get it back for you!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Bummer about the bike! I work one block from there, if I see it i'll grab it. I always use at least a solid steel u-lock or similar, cables regardless of gauge can be easily cut with a pair of dikes.

As far as trail work, I'm back in town and ready to get out there. Anybody planning to be there this weekend? Any new progress???

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
Thanks for the thoughts guys. No luck yet (but hey, maybe Friday the 13th is my lucky day!) Keep an eye out for it this weekend. I'll probably be patrolling the trails on a borrowed bike... Hey Doss, cool meeting you last weekend. Thanks for helping me get the nerve up to do the drop... it ain't the same on this borrowed bike though. Better than no bike though... :)