Quantcast

Trainers

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've never bought one, or even looked at them seriously, because I'd rather suck it up and ride outside, even if the weather is a bit shit. However, I've broken my ankle and done some ligament damage in the process, and am looking at a couple of months of being able to bear weight, but not yet being back to full activity, so it seems like it might be time for one. What's good? What should I be looking for? I don't know much of anything about them.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I've never bought one, or even looked at them seriously, because I'd rather suck it up and ride outside, even if the weather is a bit shit. However, I've broken my ankle and done some ligament damage in the process, and am looking at a couple of months of being able to bear weight, but not yet being back to full activity, so it seems like it might be time for one. What's good? What should I be looking for? I don't know much of anything about them.
I got a spinner at cost from the very cool dudes at my LBS after my accident to help rehab my hip and pelvis. Loaned it to a friend after his wife blew out her knee couple years back skiing and it's been collecting dust ever since. I do not recall brand or much of the specifics off the top of my head, but I can look it up when I get home. If you want it, cover shipping and it's yours.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I, too, have one that I received as a gift... and I've never opened it. Because trainer.

I could get you details and send it to you if you'd like. It'd be nice if someone could get some use out of it then pay it forward when you're fixed up.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Me too, feel free to borrow indefinitely

Shipping will be pretty easy

It is a cycleops fluid trainer. Requires a bike with a Q.R.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Well you guys are all awesome.

No rush, I only had surgery yesterday. It's going to be a month or so before I can use it. I guess Westy's is easiest since we're in the same city. You sure you won't miss it for a month or two?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have been using the trainer since I had my arm ripped off. I set it up in front of the TV and just pedal away for 30 minute sessions. I hate it.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I found the only way to make a trainer session bearable was to watch Law And Order on tbs...soft pedal during the show, and do interval training during the commercials (60 seconds can feel like an ETERNITY).
I used rollers, though.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I turn on Hockey, Basketball or soccer and do an hour of spinning. some nights its just an easy spin session. low resistance moderate rpm and some nights I try and kill myself. 4 minutes of moderate high rpm in an easy gear then out of the saddle in the hardest gear I have for one minute of hard effort then back down for 4 then back up for one repeating the cycle for an hour

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I have been using the trainer since I had my arm ripped off. I set it up in front of the TV and just pedal away for 30 minute sessions. I hate it.
Seems there are some missing details here lads.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Seems there are some missing details here lads.
I was riding at very high speeds on icy trails. I hit a tree and careened at terminal velocity down a steep hillside. I am not sure how my arm got ripped off. Blood was squirting everywhere. I hallucinated demons were hovering over me. When I awoke they were gone thankfully. No worries my Brother, Jesus, and Saint John Paul II helped me reattach it. I carry a sewing kit and hemostats in my pack just for trail side self surgery. The hemostats also come in handy for other things.... I also had a trainer mishap after I broke my axle. I landed on the reattached arm....

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I was riding at very high speeds on icy trails. I hit a tree and careened at terminal velocity down a steep hillside. I am not sure how my arm got ripped off. Blood was squirting everywhere. I hallucinated demons were hovering over me. When I awoke they were gone thankfully. No worries my Brother, Jesus, and Saint John Paul II helped me reattach it. I carry a sewing kit and hemostats in my pack just for trail side self surgery. The hemostats also come in handy for other things.... I also had a trainer mishap after I broke my axle. I landed on the reattached arm....
Oh, well that makes sense.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Well you guys are all awesome.

No rush, I only had surgery yesterday. It's going to be a month or so before I can use it. I guess Westy's is easiest since we're in the same city. You sure you won't miss it for a month or two?

I haven't used it in years. I keep it around for situations like yours.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I haven't used it in years. I keep it around for situations like yours.
Sweet. I'll get in touch to figure out pickup when I'm a little more functional. The nerve block they gave me stopped working so I'm back in the ER to try to get the pain back under control at the moment...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Sweet. I'll get in touch to figure out pickup when I'm a little more functional. The nerve block they gave me stopped working so I'm back in the ER to try to get the pain back under control at the moment...
Is the ER some bar I have never heard of?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Is the ER some bar I have never heard of?
Heh.

The anesthesiologist followed up to see how I was doing, I told her that the nerve block had stopped working, and my ankle hurt like hell. She told me to go in, so I did. They concluded that the nerve block was, in fact, not working and took it out.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Heh.

The anesthesiologist followed up to see how I was doing, I told her that the nerve block had stopped working, and my ankle hurt like hell. She told me to go in, so I did. They concluded that the nerve block was, in fact, not working and took it out.
Oh shit. So this is some kind of constant drip?

I've had nerve blocks, but only in single shot form. Good for 6 hours or so.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Oh shit. So this is some kind of constant drip?

I've had nerve blocks, but only in single shot form. Good for 6 hours or so.
Yeah, I had a catheter in the back of my knee, with a constant drip that was supposed to last 3 days or so.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Yeah, I had a catheter in the back of my knee, with a constant drip that was supposed to last 3 days or so.
My wife had one of those after her second knee ACL reconstruction. She thought it was better than the pain management she got after her other knee surgery years ago.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
My wife had one of those after her second knee ACL reconstruction. She thought it was better than the pain management she got after her other knee surgery years ago.
It was great for the first 24 hours, while it worked. Then the catheter shifted off the nerve and it stopped doing much of anything.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
uh, my wife had one of those for her acl and hated it because it felt like her leg was missing. Cool idea though, localized pain relief rather than full body opiods, which can be fun in their own rite.

I have rollers and a fluid trainer. The trainer is a cheapy but it's great for the winter time, and it's nice because you can shift and it gets harder, without getting out of the saddle, once it's set up. Rollers suck. They are great for a challenge and for balance, but trying to get a real workout on them is quite a chore, as you have to focus the whole time and can't zone out like you can on a trainer.

There's a cheapy chinese spin bike on amazon I thought about getting. Spinning is a different sport but it's similar enough to be fun.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, rollers are a no-go. The whole point of a trainer is that my ankle is going to be weak and I can't risk falling on it. I want something where I can zone out and watch TV while getting some exercise.