Quantcast

training for triathlon and need first bike

edward

Chimp
Mar 6, 2005
Hi, I want to start training for a triathlon and need to buy my first bike. I was going to buy a road bike that I could also use in the triathlon. I'm 5'9" 175lbs. and live in San Diego. There aren't too many hills here to climb. I was thinking about buying a Tirreno Razza 2.0. I can get a great deal for a 2004 model at Performance Bike. Any thoughts on that bike or any other bikes that I should be looking at in the range of $500-1000? I was told to get a bike w/ at least shimano 105 or better, aluminum frame w/ carbon forks. Double or triple drivetrain? Aluminum vs steel frame? What about the Fuji Roubaix Pro? Alex ALX-3000 wheelset? Forte carbon fork and seat post? Hutchinson Excel tires? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Eddie

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The most important part about buying a bike, particularily for a newbie, is the shop which you buy it from.

There is a Performance Bike and a REI with 5 miles of my shop, and I get their business all the time. Bad bike fittings, poor repairs, and generally bad customer service brings customers to our shop.

Cleat fitting and stem length are critical to a good fit. If either one is incorrect, you could have knee or back problems. Ask your salesman about both, and see if you are satisfied with their response.

I looked at the Fit Kit website, a computerized fitting system, and list Black Mountain Bikes as a dealer. Go in there and ask them those same questions and see what their responses are. Also, the Allez Sport and Allez Elite are good values at $800 and $1100.

You could will probably get a better deal at Performance. But unless you are prepared to service your own bike and be sure of the right size, a real bike store is better.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Wow... I am surprised only sanjuro has taken the time to answer your question. This forum used to have a lot of active roadies and triathletes.

Engh. Twinkies will do that to you.

Before you go dumping a lot of money into a tri bike I would get a few under your belt before you go whole hog.

Shimano 105 on a sub 20LB bike should be your goal - for my money I would find out what size you need and then go shopping for used on ebay or in the classifieds of your local tri club. Quality used tri bikes are a dime a dozen because so many guys are willing to buy a new bike every year if they think the latest and greatest will give them the edge.

Anyhow - I ise Hutchinson XL for my training tires and would hate the thought of running those toads in a race. :blah:

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
edward said:
Hi, I want to start training for a triathlon and need to buy my first bike. I was going to buy a road bike that I could also use in the triathlon. I'm 5'9" 175lbs. and live in San Diego. There aren't too many hills here to climb. I was thinking about buying a Tirreno Razza 2.0. I can get a great deal for a 2004 model at Performance Bike. Any thoughts on that bike or any other bikes that I should be looking at in the range of $500-1000? I was told to get a bike w/ at least shimano 105 or better, aluminum frame w/ carbon forks. Double or triple drivetrain? Aluminum vs steel frame? What about the Fuji Roubaix Pro? Alex ALX-3000 wheelset? Forte carbon fork and seat post? Hutchinson Excel tires? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Eddie
What type of triathlons are you thinking of? Sprint, Oly or Iron distance?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
edward said:
Edward

There are tons of Triathletes in your area.
Talk to the guys at the San Diego Tri Club, Post on Slowtwitch.com which is Tri-bike tech geek heaven or send me a PM and I'll hook you up with some of my contacts down there.

Eric Drew
Vice President
USATriathlon SW Region [CA, AZ, NV]
USAT CAT 2 Referee

edward

Chimp
Mar 6, 2005
At this point, I am planning to only do sprint distances. Hopefully by the end of the summer, I will advancing to olympic distances if my knees hold up.

buck

Chimp
Jan 26, 2003
poolesville/clemson for school
I would say just get a standard road bike then slap some aero bars on it for triathlons. Some people also put forward facing seatposts on or move the saddle up. I guess it simulates the steeper seat tube angle of tri bikes. I have a 2002 Cannondale R700 and just put aero bars on. Also it helps a lot if you are a strong swimmer for triathlons. Always seems like you can pass a lot of people in the swim. I would do some bricks too before your first race. Bike+Run=Ick. Helps get the muscles used to switching from riding to running. I always feel horrible at the start of the run, legs feel like jello.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
I'd suggest going with a road bike with clip on bars. True Tri geomtry bikes aren't the greatest bike to just ride around outside the aero position. Slowtwitch.com is a good place to start they have very nice reviews of some of the bike. Alot of friends I've had get into tri have had good luck with Giants...either a TCR or OCR, it looks like alot of companies have nice value bikes this year. Another good place to check out since your in SD is Nytro cycles...nytro.com...they are a tri specific shop and have a good selection of entry level stuff, plus they are very helpful people in my experience.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
edward said:
At this point, I am planning to only do sprint distances. Hopefully by the end of the summer, I will advancing to olympic distances if my knees hold up.
Olympic distance takes years of training. Ouch.

Sprint distance is a good start... any serviceable bike within your budget should do nicely.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
edward said:
Ahh ok well just go for a normal road bike than. No need for a TT bike. I'm going to be doing a few half-ironman races this year if I get my leg back in shape which should be not to hard. Going to be using my Giant TCR 2 with some clip on bars for those.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
JMAC said:
Ahh ok well just go for a normal road bike than. No need for a TT bike. I'm going to be doing a few half-ironman races this year if I get my leg back in shape which should be not to hard. Going to be using my Giant TCR 2 with some clip on bars for those.
I would have to agree. A true tri bike vs a TT bike has a 76 degree seat angle vs a normal (for road) 73 seat angle.

The higher seat angle allow tri's to achieve a more forward aero position, but more importantly allows them to use more quads and less hamstrings during the bike section, saving the hamstring muscles for the run.

Alot of tri's use plain old road bikes. They are easier to find and have better handling. Even those with speciality tri bikes use regular road bikes for training.