Quantcast

transition double vs......

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
I get $2000 from my dad as a gradution present. for almost a year, I had my heart set on a mt. cycle rumble or mob w/ a 36 talas.

I want a bike that would be good for urban/skate park (loading docks, stair gaps, wall rides...) and the very ocassion trail/park (lift acess) runs. Thats why the 36, because it has 100-160mm of travel, and the rumble is good from 80-160. I was pretty set on a hard tail (its replacing my kona scrap), because of lightness, response, simplicity, price, pedalability etc... however, as said transition came out with these two bikes. On my scrap, with larger drops and such on to cement, it really hurt my wrists, knees and ankles (I know I sound like a pussy...). I now pretty much have my heart set on a double (because I want the hard tail but like the idea of the 3.5" to take the edge off). I threw the bottle rocket in the mix b/c I read 3 review that said it was a great bike for urban dirtjump and scate park, and my friend has one and it is awesome (I'm not sure I want that much travel though).

I have a freeride/downhill bike, so I don't need a do it all bike. Also, no matter what I get, it will have a 36 talas on it.

Sorry for the long winded post, I'm looking for any suggestions (frame wise).

[edit]*oh an trevor, this was written b4 your message, but my internet was down and it wouldn't post, and the bottle rocket is out of the running

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I would say get a hardtail since you already have a fully, but if you have your heart set on a short travel DJ Geometry frame then the Double would be My first choice. The only other frames I can think of are the Tazer, but thats really just a MTX frame. What about the Mtn Cycle Battery, I havent really seen too much on it since the Interbike photos but thats the only other bike I can think of.

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
I looked at the battery, but with mountain cycle where it is now, I'm not sure it is a smart option. Also, the shock mount looks kind off week (on the top side). It will be a bike taking some large hits to flat (loading docks, stair drops etc). It looks like a slope style bike meant to land w/ nice trannys.

The double looked like a street full susser. The double looks like its able to take abuse, and not rob me of any energy (the shock will be very stiff, because there is only 3.5").

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
I got to test the Double. That's my choice for what you're looking for, but then I'm not a hardtail purest.

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
it sounds like the Transition Double is for sure the way to go, the 3.5" in the back will make all the difference in the world, taking the edge off those harsher landings your feeling in your body, yet the bike will still feel like a hard tail, and pretty much give you the snappy response you want. and if you plan on hitting any lifts your gonna want some love in the back for your ride down. and as you said earlier the Double is built to take a beating, and if by chance you do beat it, you have a nice warranty and service to fall back on.

Attachments

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
Check out the planet x splitail, killer pricing and really fun to ride. Also, adjustable travel/geo with the shock stroke and mounting options.

Splitail

Freerider697

Monkey
Jun 16, 2005
I would say the double, it is a killer ride. Also, what about the norco 4x? Im not sure how tough it is but it seems really snappy and versitile

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
I just call transition and talked to them about what type of riding I want to do, and how I want a double w/ a talas 36. They said they almost all of them want to try a double w/ a 36 (and have been planning on building one up), and that it would be one of the sickest bikes. I think thats what I'm going to do.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
that thing is a total turd compared to what is being discussed above...
Are you kidding? Do you know anything about this bike? It has 4" of travel, and is pretty much a copy of the jack flash geometry. The Jack, by the way, is a dj/street bike. So exactly how is this thing a turd? Have you ever ridden one?

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
damn, definately post your goods once they come in. i'm loving this whole short travel bike thing, and i think that something like the double or another short travel rig with a 36 talas could very well be my dream bike right now. i'm thinking mini DH/tech trail/DJ/4X bike all in one.