Quantcast

Transition Gran Mal as a race bike?

slowracer

Chimp
May 14, 2006
Hi monkeys just wanna know what people think about the gran mal as a DH race bike? The DH trails here are technical with nice rock sections and 10-20 foot jumps. The 3 inch stroke shock in the middle shuttle setting gives 64ish HA, 74 SA and 14.8 bb height, which looks good on paper. Anyone has practical experience riding the bike in a DH/race setting? Thanks in advance.

Motoking16

Monkey
May 16, 2005
Bend, OR
The Gran Mal is my race bike and it is sic! If i could only make mine a bit lighter i would be super stoked. I leave it in the shortest travel in the rear and run a 170 triple eight in the front. It has been perfect in anything from smooth to rock garden style. Its not the easiest bike in the world to manual, but who needs to manual an entire DH course... I cant discuss angles and bb heights and all that, cause i dont really pay attention to it, i just know it works, and thats all that really matters to me. It is super stable high speed and the rear sticks around everything!

Buy the gran-mal, call kevin at transition and he will get one shipped your way.

slowracer

Chimp
May 14, 2006
Thanks for the input guys. Another thing is that the suspension design is similar to a Kona Stinky, would the Gran Mal ride like a stinky? Any body with experience on both bikes?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
funkendrenchman said:
The geometry appears VERY similar to a VP free, so what besides the increased travel makes this a DH race bike as opposed to a freeride bike?
Generally a DH bike will be lower, longer, and slacker to deal w/ the high speeds where as a FR bike will have stiffer travel, steeper angles, shorter stays and wheelbases, higher BBs etc for north shore riding and slower tech stuff.

May 30, 2005
A$$pen
Bicyclist said:
Generally a DH bike will be lower, longer, and slacker to deal w/ the high speeds where as a FR bike will have stiffer travel, steeper angles, shorter stays and wheelbases, higher BBs etc for north shore riding and slower tech stuff.
Yea I know... so if the VP-Free and Gran Mal have the same geometry, why is one considered a DH race bike and the other a freeride bike?