Quantcast

Transition Syren vs. Bottlerocket?

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I havent heard many reviews on the Syren yet, more specifically from riders that have ridden a Bottlerocket. So I thought I'd see if anyone has any first hand experience?

I'm curious as to what the comparison is, and if the Syren rides well with that funky linkage. (Since we all know many are happy with the bottlerocket)

P.S. Feel free to post the pic of your Bottlerocket or Syren, I always like to see build pics.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
what exactly makes a bike a girls bike?

Low standover? -nope, dudes also appreciate that, probably more than chicks

Shorter effective top tube? -That's more a rider height thing than rider gender

Different geometry? -What is chick geometery? Shorter or longer cs? steeper or slacker ha?

Matching rims, hubs and pink cable housing? -AH hA!

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
I rode the proto-type large for a run down dirtmerchant - aline and its a fun bike Its slacker then my bottle rocket and jumps exceptionally well.

the linkage is one thing that makes it more of a girls bike. the bike is designed slightly regressive so it will actually use its travel and drive the shock into its travel. which is ideal for a women's bike because of their lighter weight. basically gives it a very plush ride.

the bike pedals well and is light and lively. but its a women's bike there is no doubt about it.

It is not a light bottle rocket!! they are very different bikes, designed for different riders.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
top tube vs downtube length, Handlebar width and sweep, Crank lengths, Lever reach ETC...Not necessarily all of those on everybike...... With all that said, not all women need a WSD bike, And yes, some men fit better on them. Mostly WSD designs from all Manufactures just offer a different fit to a given bike.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
the bike is designed slightly regressive so it will actually use its travel and drive the shock into its travel. which is ideal for a women's bike because of their lighter weight. basically gives it a very plush ride.

the bike pedals well and is light and lively. but its a women's bike there is no doubt about it.
Thanks for clearing that up- I had always wondered what the heck the true difference was as just different length top tubes always seemed like a cop out way to call something a bike designed for a woman.

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
Thanks for clearing that up- I had always wondered what the heck the true difference was as just different length top tubes always seemed like a cop out way to call something a bike designed for a woman.

ha ya dispite what people think a lot of design work goes into transition's bikes. and the syren works really well. a girl can run a standard weight spring that actually takes advantage of todays shocks adjustments. without just running a stupidly light coil that will completly blow through its travel.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
they are both cool bikes...i like the looks of the syren alot...

you asked for pics...so here is my eye candy taken last season...

AA_Freeze

Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
Ferndale,Wa
just another example of a Syren. The Leverage ratio is 3:1, so that doesnt qualify anything as a womens specific bike. They based the bike on Size as the #1 priority in defining this bike, especially the small as it was meant for people 5'2" and under. The head angle is a bit steeper than the Proto, which makes the bike feel a ton better..quicker, and more flickable IMO. You will definately see guys rocking this bike. Someone on another forum mention they got theirs right from Transition..so Im not sure if that was a true statement, but it is going to happen.

Jun 11, 2004
I'm curious as to what the comparison is,
Don't know anything about the Syren. But I have had my BottleRocket for a little over a year now and have been VERY HAPPY.

I have it set up with two rings up front......climbs well and descends great! Thing is a beast too......I'm not one to do maintenance and the only thing I have had to do to this frame is tighten the pivot bolts recently.

Here is a pic of my original build.....some parts have changed since, but you get the idea:

Jul 7, 2007
Bothell
SYREN!!! what makes it a girls bike anyway? only cuz transition advertises it as one.

bottom line... i'd rock one over any bottlerocket