Quantcast

Transition TOP vs Blk Mrkt Riot

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
Anyone ridden both and can compare the two? I've spent some time on a MOB (same geo as the riot) and love how it jumps. The geo between the TOP and the riot seems to be very similar...

the only thing I didn't like about the MOB I rode was the cramped feeling (It was the smaller of the sizes). If I went blk mrkt, I'd get the larger one (I'm 5'10). Any input? The price is very close, and both are made by sweet companies.

Also, I'm on an '03 P2 right now, and it's a jack of all trades but master of none. I want a bike that is strictly for the DJ's and park.

Links:

Riot

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Personally I like the Riot a lot better, I like the way it looks and I like the more streamlined design. Both are good bikes though.

AvidGuy

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
Lurking.
Black market for two reasons.

Better quality( there made by S&M or were.)
Its weight(its 5.75 as the top is 6.5)
Both are burlier enough, and why not save weight...

ps..if your concerned about market value when you sell..go mob.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
From my understanding is S&M is still making the Black Mrkt frames. Talking with one of the reps I gather that the Riot frame is built overseas and is the reason why it's cheaper than the Mob frame (US built). Other than that they're identical.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
Yea, I was emailing carter as soon as I heard a budget MOB was coming out, asking about pricing and differences, etc. The Riot is made overseas, and uses Reynolds 725 tubing while the MOB uses True Temper Super Therm. Riot is less than 3/4 lb heavier than the MOB, not a big deal to me.

So can anyone comment on the actual ride of the TOP compared to the black market?

Jul 19, 2004
Jax
I havent ridden a mlk mrkt but I ride a TOP and it's one of the best frames I have ever ridden. Looking at the geomatry for both frames they are pretty similar the tt on the TOP is just a little shorter which is what made me buy it, but since everyone here is all for the blk mrkt I have to say might as well follow the heard is they love the frame. :cheers:

The seattube being reemed to proper diameter is a problem I have experienced on a few customer bikes, infact one had the seatpost completely stuck even though it was properly greased and everything because the tolerences were too tight. I just got my TOP, and cannot wait to build and ride it

karmapolice

Chimp
Nov 3, 2007
Marietta, GA
I have the riot and haven't had a single issue with it and love it, also I have a small and I am 6'5 lol. I also have some friends that have tops and love them too they both have smalls ones 5'10ish other is probably 6'2 maybe taller. Either way you can't go wrong both are great companies and people.

was it the blk mrkt seat tube that was being used when there was tolerance issues or a diffrent company?

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
honing a seat tube is something any competent bicycle shop will be familiar with and able to do... no reason to waist time sending a frame back.

a flex hone is a common tool in any decent shop.

theTOP and Blk Mrkt geo is pretty similar.... you could get use to either/or.

I like the integrated headset, seat tube length (standover), tubing choice, drop outs, stay bridges, tube shapes, and overall the look of the black markets much better.

If you feel like you just like one or the other better, I say go for it..

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
I debated for a while on the same 2 choices. I have had 4 Transition frames and still have 2 FR/DH bikes. My reasoning for the Riot was that I liked the look of the frame with no derailler tabs. That and a little less weight.

I could not be any happier with the Riot..

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
i've had both... although they ride really similarly, the riot manuals and spins a lot better due to the short chainstays. the riot also has a little bit lower top tube, which if you do no-cans is definitely a plus. the integrated headset is also a nice touch giving the bike a little bit steeper HA.

-overall, i like the riot more... plus the price is right, and it's lighter

also, on a side note, while running a 33-14 on the riot i was able to run a kmc chain without a half-link and still had the wheel in the very front of the dropouts with perfect tension.