Quantcast

Transition TR450

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
What particularly do you want to know? I've had two now, the original model and the 2012 model. Awesome bikes, good geo, good suspension, simple to maintain with standard bearings on the pivots.

Only negatives I've found - the rebound dial on the RC4 is a pain to reach while the shock is in the frame and the chainstay chips on the new frame make wheel changes fiddly. I've only had the 2012 for a month or so now, but I rode the 2010 model for about 2 years and loved it.

Last edited:

the law

Monkey
Jun 25, 2002
where its at
How is the durability? It is a single pivot suspension design, right? So, how does it feel bump absorption-wise? It's been a while since I rode single pivots and I am curious about how they ride nowadays.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
The TR rides awesome, very lively does not feel like a 8" DH bike. Easy to get into the air. They seem bombproof. All of our testers liked the one we had.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I have a 2010 model, and toodles pretty much nailed it. I don't have a whole lot to compare it to, as the only other DH bike I've spent significant time on is a MkII V-10, but needless to say the 450 is superior to that bike in basically every way (IMO). It's a rate modified single pivot with the main pivot approximately inline with a 36 tooth chain ring, so it strikes a nice balance between pedaling efficiency and bump absorption. It's got a progressive stroke, so it ramps up nicely for good bottom out control, and overall I'd say it has a more playful ride quality versus just plowing. I certainly suspect there are several bikes out there with better square edged hit performance, but it's not a real problem in my experience. For me, it's a nice change from the old V-10, as I'm able to better jump/hop over stuff and change direction quickly.

To my knowledge, the frames are very durable, perhaps at the cost of overal frame weight, as it's not the lightest out there (say 11.3 lbs with shock). Since this is RM, I'd be stoked if it had a fender, but I actually was able to rig up an Spesh Enduro fender on there. But in the end, you should buy it because Transition has awesome trucker hats.

Last edited:

NwRider

Chimp
Dec 14, 2011
Bellingham, Wa
So I've been on my 2012 450 since April almost every weekend and absolutely love it. First off its a very comfortable feeling bike, very balanced and "natural", they nailed it on the geo. My first run and I felt at home. I came off a 2012 Wilson and the first thing I noticed was the TR's ability to change lines with ease and kind of hop around. The bike will really reward you the faster you go, it almost feels like it starts riding "on top" of the trail rather than "through" stuff once you hit a certain speed. Really a cool feeling. Seems like everyone has summed up its jumping capabilities, very balanced in the air. Every bike does have its downside, though the 450's is negligible. It is slightly rougher on square edge hits than other bikes such as V10, Wilson, etc. And the rebound knob is kind of annoying to get to as well. Oh, and its sexy as f*ck :D Hit me up with any other questions, i'll try my best to answer!

the law

Monkey
Jun 25, 2002
where its at
So I've been on my 2012 450 since April almost every weekend and absolutely love it. First off its a very comfortable feeling bike, very balanced and "natural", they nailed it on the geo. My first run and I felt at home. I came off a 2012 Wilson and the first thing I noticed was the TR's ability to change lines with ease and kind of hop around. The bike will really reward you the faster you go, it almost feels like it starts riding "on top" of the trail rather than "through" stuff once you hit a certain speed. Really a cool feeling. Seems like everyone has summed up its jumping capabilities, very balanced in the air. Every bike does have its downside, though the 450's is negligible. It is slightly rougher on square edge hits than other bikes such as V10, Wilson, etc. And the rebound knob is kind of annoying to get to as well. Oh, and its sexy as f*ck :D Hit me up with any other questions, i'll try my best to answer!
One thing I care about is turning. I really like feeling as if I am in the bike when turning. You know when the front or rear looses traction and its easy to get them back in line with body English. Conversely, I hate feeling like I am on top of a bike no matter how plush it is. Not sure if that makes sense, but I'd love to get some feedback on its cornering, I guess.

NwRider

Chimp
Dec 14, 2011
Bellingham, Wa
I know exactly what you mean, this is the issue I had with my Wilson, both frames were mediums but the wilson had a shorter top tube putting me in a more upright position (resulting in feeling "ontop" of the bike), where the 450 TT is longer allowing you to get over the front in a more aggressive postition to really whip it through corners. Like I said they really nailed it with the geo. Hope that helps!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog

Normally, you could only throw this kind of steeze on an AM/trail bike, but I can now pull this sh!t on my DH bike...Winning
from where i am standing it looks like you are cargo short 'steeze'ing' your way into a full blown nose dive flat landing on a bike that has nothing to do with the OP's post? but hey who am I.

I have been riding a TR250 for the past 2 seasons and absolutely love it. It's really a no nonsense abuse handling machine with very easily attainable parts. I have mine set up low/slack/long travel so it's basically a 450. Riding wise I ride east coast rocks, flowy bike park stuff, whistler, highland...kind of all around and no complaints at all. Well the comment about shock adjustment is valid...Other than that go for it...

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
I have had my 2012 TR450 since march-April time. I love it. Built with dorado, Sunringle add expert, saint, formula, minions. The works mainly. Sick build. It's weighing in at 38. It's Deffinatly strong and beefy. No way your braking them. I am 5'9 and riding a small this year. Granted I hit a major growth spurt this season but its still awesome. Really little and flick able. I raced mine and its plowed rocks and ate up everything. It's jumped awesome and soared in the air. Ate big bumps as well. Cornered really well and pedaled amazing. I wouldn't ride it XC, but it hauled on flat sections. I love mine
I have a full review typed up

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I should mention that I've owned an Ironhorse Sunday, Intense M6, Turner DHR as well as done a few runs on a couple of V10 carbons, Demo 8s and Glorys. I really didn't like anything else as much as my TR450 and I'm not just being a fanboy here. I'm a complete bikewhore and I like trying new bikes so new bikes really appeal, but there wasn't anything I could find that I liked more. I was going to try the new Scott Gambler or Evil Undead but the pricing on both was crazy high over here and I couldn't justify taking the risk versus something I knew worked.

In the end, you buy what you like but I doubt you'd find a problem with the TR personally.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I have had my 2012 TR450 since march-April time. I love it. Built with dorado, Sunringle add expert, saint, formula, minions. The works mainly. Sick build. It's weighing in at 38. It's Deffinatly strong and beefy. No way your braking them. I am 5'9 and riding a small this year. Granted I hit a major growth spurt this season but its still awesome. Really little and flick able. I raced mine and its plowed rocks and ate up everything. It's jumped awesome and soared in the air. Ate big bumps as well. Cornered really well and pedaled amazing. I wouldn't ride it XC, but it hauled on flat sections. I love mine
I have a full review typed up
Yet you're selling it you little gear w***e!

;)

I keed, I keed.

But you are selling it!

:P

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
If memory serves, the main differences are the adjustable chainstays and it's supposed to be a little lighter.
Yes. 2011 frames saved about 0.5lbs from 2010 frames. The 2012 frames went from 17.5" chainstay to 17.25" chainstay with an adjustment +/- 0.25". We also lengthened the front center by 0.25" to keep the total wheelbase the same in the middle setting.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Toodles nailed it, I have had mine since June and I love it.
What particularly do you want to know? I've had two now, the original model and the 2012 model. Awesome bikes, good geo, good suspension, simple to maintain with standard bearings on the pivots.

Only negatives I've found - the rebound dial on the RC4 is a pain to reach while the shock is in the frame and the chainstay chips on the new frame make wheel changes fiddly. I've only had the 2012 for a month or so now, but I rode the 2010 model for about 2 years and loved it.
friend is thinking of getting a 2010 tr450. remind me what the changes were for 2012?
geo chips are the main change.

My bike has made me feel much more confident in jumping, and skipping, and hopping and turning and pedaling, and all sorts of other good stuff.

I'm not really fast, but the bike makes me feel faster. I really like it.

I am shopping for a small sized tr450 for my fiance now.

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
Toodles nailed it, I have had mine since June and I love it.

geo chips are the main change.

My bike has made me feel much more confident in jumping, and skipping, and hopping and turning and pedaling, and all sorts of other good stuff.

I'm not really fast, but the bike makes me feel faster. I really like it.

I am shopping for a small sized tr450 for my fiance now.
I have a small TR450

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I had a 2010 frame and loved it. Never managed to dent it or do anything bad to the frame and I will probably get another one, once I am done college.

Like noted before, the only pain on the bike is reaching rebound adjuster on the shock. The only other thing that I noticed was that water likes to sit where the bearing covers are, so its a good idea to wipe up excess water after washing it or else the water will seap in behind the covers.

The other bonus of owning this bike is that Transition has great customer service.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I've ridden a 450 since the beginning of the summer. I figure I have 45 or so days of riding it hard.

I'm a big man. 240# of man goo. Only damage done to the bike was in shipping on an airplane by homeland security taking the bubble wrap off the frame before it went in the airplane. The paint was chipped.

I love how it rides. Outrides my old 303DH in my opinion.