Quantcast

Traveling with a Bike

DroppinaNorco

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Sac Town
Hey Everybody. Im traveling to Colorado this summer a im looking for any advice people can give me about traveling with a bike. Such as how to take it on the plane, or alternate ways of getting it to the destination. Also im lookng for a good mountain bike traveling case, if anyone can tell me which ones are best that would be great. Any tips and tricks for taking a bike with you would be sweeet! TRAVELING CASES! HELP ME OUT PLEASE!

DroppinaNorco

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Sac Town
By the way, i have a Norco Fluid 2, so i would want a case that will fit that without having to take off the fork if possible. Also one that would fit a Kona Coiler would be sweet too.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I have experience with the Trico Iron case. Some shops rent them, so its worth checking out. If you have a DC fork, you will need to remove it. My experience is that different airlines charge VERY different rates for a bike, so research ahead of time. If you have a destination, UPS is much cheaper. Fugure on the airline charge being $40 min. And it helps to look for the attendent who appears clueless. The wait in line will be longer, but it is not unheard of to have a new employee forget to charge you. Some of my friends have gotten away with totaly disassembling their bikes and packing the parts in suitcases to get all of their bags below the max size and weight, but that is a royal pain. I know some people who have gone so far as to have stickers made up that say stuff like "Industrial Lighting Equipment" or "Trade Show Equipment". I am not aware of any law that says the labeling on a case has to match what is inside, but if they ask, lying will get you a stay at Guantanamo Bay. Also check the max weight the airlines allow.

You ahould post this in the Lounge.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I have travelled with a pair of bikes both internationaly and nationally, and Repack's experience matches mine. International flights are easiest, you're allowed 2 pieces of baggage on most airlines, and it seems to be normal that both have to be under 32Kg. This is easily most bikes plus all the tools, pads and crap you could want. Internals are a bit worse as they sometimes charge, and sometimes don't. I'd never thought of using FedEx, although that seems like a good idea internally in the states.

However when I travel I use a BWH Koffer 'Touring Bag' which is a halfway house between a box and bag, has an internal size -adjustable frame which your forks and rear droput clap into. Google for 'BWH Koffer' and take a look. I totally recommend this bag - although apparantly the other way to fly without getting damaged bikes is just to turn your bars sideways and wheel the bike into the airport. This way the baggage handlers (hopefully) won't just throw it on and off and instead roll it on and off the plane.

Spec8in561

Monkey
Mar 12, 2004
I packed my bike frame, fork and stuff in a body board bag, wheels in a separate...did not have to pay the $80 each way charge...