Quantcast

Tried two new beers

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
After our ride yesterday, we hit a pub and I tried two new beers (new to me, anyway).

Hoegaarden Belgian White
A very tasty white ale which was very crisp and refreshing on a hot summer night. It tasted a bit citrusy (orange?) with the first sip, and was quickly followed by the taste of various spices. I give this beer two :thumb: .

Stella Artois Belgian Lager
Should be called "Belgian Bud." :dead: I swear, this stuff had the taste and texture of Budweiser. I pounded it quickly so I could get it out of my sight and order something else. I am very disappointed in Belgium for this one.

Overall, I'd have to say beer is still good. :thumb:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i like both of these, but for different reasons. hoegaarden (pronouced HOO-garden, not HOE-garden, but it sounds goofy) is a very nice white ale, probably my fave of the genre. the golden lab pub at bromont serves 'em up in huge glasses. tasty post-ride treat.

stella is the drink of choice for peaty, so it's good enough for me. as belgians go it's decidedly non-interesting, but for a lager (which i tend to eschew) it's one of my faves. good hot weather beer, i'd say.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MMcG said:
We'll have to go back so you can try the others on tap!

I want to order a Newcastle like MBC did just so I can get that huge bottle! :)
Methinks the Wood N Tap makes a good post-ride chow place. :) The burger was good.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
narlus said:
tasty post-ride treat.
oi...i have to be in the right mood to drink that stuff. it's good, but it's not like i can just pop one open and swig it down at any given moment. i'm not really used to rich beers, though. wish i could afford to go out and buy some.

likwid

Chimp
Aug 1, 2005
Brooklyn Weisse.

Best post ride beer EVAR.

Don't pollute it with a lemon either, its gonna plenty of zip as it is.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
beer gets me drunk, which makes me hungover. feeling hungover right now.

started with st. pauli girl's moved onto becks, finished with good ol fat cans of fosters. blech

i dunno about this drinking stuff *i say this everytime

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I Are Baboon said:
After our ride yesterday, we hit a pub and I tried two new beers (new to me, anyway).

Stella Artois Belgian Lager
Should be called "Belgian Bud." :dead: I swear, this stuff had the taste and texture of Budweiser. I pounded it quickly so I could get it out of my sight and order something else. I am very disappointed in Belgium for this one.

Overall, I'd have to say beer is still good. :thumb:
Aaahhh Stella....they call it "wifebeater" in England. Says it all really.

Backpack1

Monkey
Mar 16, 2005
GNORKAL
valve bouncer said:
Aaahhh Stella....they call it "wifebeater" in England. Says it all really.
Heheh, nice bit of local knowledge. I gotta remember that. Personally, humbly, and FOR THE MOST PART, (not that anyone give a rat's ass what I think, but) I think beer-snobs are totally ridiculous and pompous namby-pamby milquetoast vermont trustfund wankers. I've been drinking hard longer that most of you have been alive and the only truly horrible beers I've had have been from these cutesy little micro-pisseries that add caramel to generic
ale and call it something quaint. Give me Stella, Tecate, F***ing Budweiser any day and I'm (in the case of the latter, anyway) getting a much more well-crafted and fresh beverage than that crap that sits on the shelf warm at Trader Joes and is sipped by wide-eyed neophytes who extole the virtues of the microswill online. When I want complex craft, I drink my local Anchor Brewery products, but for the most part, a good deal of craftbrew only tastes good one way: Free.
P.S. New Belgium Fat Tire is ghastly....it tastes like it was carbonated with Co2 and air from an old beach crusier's tire.
Word.

sorry...um, your thoughts?

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I Are Baboon said:

Hoegaarden Belgian White
A very tasty white ale which was very crisp and refreshing on a hot summer night. It tasted a bit citrusy (orange?) with the first sip, and was quickly followed by the taste of various spices.
One of my favorite wits. It's orange and coriander that you taste. I brewed up a 5 gallon batch that was a little spicier than Hoegaarden, but less so than Blue Moon. It came out AWESOME and disappeared in under a month. :) I'll definitely do that one again and maybe even put some aside for Monkeyfest 06.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Stella Artois is the nectar of the gods. Comparing it to Bud is punishable by death. Hoegarden is good too, but it gives me a badass hangover.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Yeah, I think you're being a tad harsh on Stella. It's not my favourite, but comparing it to Bud is just plain rude!

Hoegaarden is an AWESOME summer patio beer.