Quantcast

Trip Report: Mapping Trails and Riding in Nicaragua

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
This last December I had the opportunity of a lifetime, an all expense paid trip to Nicaragua for 10 days to GPS map current mountain bike trails and give a site analysis for building new trails on a 2700 acre resort on the pacific coast. I'm fortunate enough to be good friends with a retired World Champion mountain biker and was asked to assist her husband to the resort and help map and consult for their trail building company.

I was lucky enough to bring my own trail bike, but I did get a little nervous when our driver showed up and said we were going to have to put the bikes on the roof. The ride from the airport in Managua to the resort on the coast was over 100km, up and down some volcano roads, 120km speeds, and some very bumpy unpaved rutted roads.

Thankfully they stayed on the whole trip.

The driver stopped a couple km from the airport so we could get some road beers.

Prix, The Nicaraguan 7-11

Many a Tona were drank during the trip, especially at 75 cents a beer

To enter the Resort, Rancho Santana, you crest a huge hill that gives you your first view of the Pacific.

We got settled into our villa and walked over to the club house and grabbed a beer just in time to watch the sun set. It was pretty cool to leave the east coast at 4am and get there just in time to see the sun set over the pacific. I'm not usually a sentimental person but the sunsets were awesome.

The parent company that owns the resort is based in Baltimore so I met a lot of gringos from my hometown. One of which is a huge cyclist and sponsor of various clubs and trail building groups here in MD, he owns a villa and a lot in at Rancho Santana and travels there so often he has 2 high end mountain bikes that he leaves at the resort. He and a local Nica that rides showed me some of the existing trails (which weren't very good by US trail standards). He has a vested interest in seeing this trail project come to fruition so he was more than helpful.

The highest point in RS

Only the steepest roads in the resort were "paved" so cars can get up them during the rainy season. This picture doesn't do justice to how steep this road is, my limited 1x10 gearing was no match for some of the climbs in Nicaragua.

In addition to having mountain bikes at the resort, our friend also let us use his Rhino for the week. It was a huge help to Map the more tedious parts of the resort, all the main roads, service roads etc.

We used the Rhino for play as well

The surfing was awesome.

More on the next post...

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Local wildlife

The Bacon was very fresh...

Watermelon delivery

You never need to mow the local baseball field

These were everywhere, half sheep half goat

At a local Taco Joint, he's jumping to try and steal my camera

Howler monkeys were all over the resort

More Geep

Stables on the resort

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Scouting trails and other scenery

This is a protected beach where hundreds of sea turtles lay eggs. There was a 24/7 guard to make sure poaches don't steal eggs.

At the local Gas Station/Bar

local clinic/pharmacy

Every Road ends at the beach

I'll post more pics tomorrow.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Awesome the places some monkeys get to go. Will need to have pictures of you renovating a kitchen to get the views you deserve but beaut nonetheless. How was your personal safety there, not dodgy?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
That looks terrible. :nope:

One of the things that always blows my mind about central america, is how steep the roads can be. Obviously, they don't get a lot of snow.

Last edited:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Awesome the places some monkeys get to go. Will need to have pictures of you renovating a kitchen to get the views you deserve but beaut nonetheless. How was your personal safety there, not dodgy?
The views were amazing, the developer of the project designed the placement of the lots so that 90% of the 300+ lots have ocean views.

Wasn't dodgy at all, the resort has security and guarded gates to make the gringo's feel safe but even when we were off of the resort in the local towns I never once felt I was in danger. All of the beaches in Nicaragua are public so that meant even though we were on a resort the beach was filled with locals and surfers from all over the world. The resort has 5 separate beaches, but the one we were staying at had the best waves, it was a stop on the World Surfing Tour this last summer. I met one guy from South Africa that planned on surfing there for 7 days and he's now been there for 4 months, with no plans of going home. The last day of the trip we were in the city of Managua and I walked about 8 city blocks by myself to get fried chicken and beer from a local place. It reminded me of "Los Pollos Hermanos" from Breaking Bad.

I felt more safe in Nicaragua than I have in some places in the US.

That looks terrible. :nope:

One of the things that always blows my mind about central america, is how steep the roads can be. Obviously, they don't get a lot of snow.
What I learned is that the road builders just follow the fall line because that's what the cattle and wild animals would use to get up and down so it's easiest to build the road where there is already an established path. Unfortunately the "trail builders" followed the same formula so most of their already established trails have miserable climbs that are ridiculous grades and the descents are usually a straight path of least resistance. The previous trail consultants on the project were a retired elderly couple from West Virginia that did nothing more than hike the property and flag 12 foot wide sections of the forest and later had a bunch of laborers come in and grub out the brush. Needless to say the "trails" were pretty awful.