Quantcast

Trips For Kids?

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
Hey just a shout out, last year I attempted to lead a trips for kids ride at Diablo in which I brought another guide, my son and 4 kids to diablo for a day of riding. Upon arrival we were all greated with great kindness including I believe who was mini mac giving one of the kids a free pair of fox gloves because that kids gloves were lost in transit between home and the resort. Well let's just say the kindness ended there. There was rudeness in the lines (mind you this was in september and there were 3 people max in line at a time). There was screaming from the lifts (we were on the trails and some of the locals were on the chair lift screaming down at us to get off the trails if we were going to be going slow). There was a confrontation between more locals and my son for wiping out on one of the wall rides (mind you he was 8 and the person yelling was in his early 20's) (he did the wall rides by the way just forgot to pull up coming off the end). And the final straw was when one of the kids came to a point where he wasn't sure of himself so he stopped to assess a trail before continuing where he was so graciously told to get the f*ck off the trails, if he didn't know how to f*cking ride then he shouldn't be there (and by the way this particular kid was in fact cautious but he did every drop that was at diablo including dom's denial, ON A HARDTAIL WITH A DIRTJUMPER 100 MM FORK). So needless to say I have contemplated on having another Trips for Kids this september (the 16th to be exact) but just wanted to get some input from the locals as to whether the atmosphere has changed at all or not. And by the way this is in no way anything against Diablo, when I had contacted administrations about the incidents when I returned home from the trip they offered me free lift tickets (which I declined, I don't expect anything for free) and gave a full apology and said something would be said to the group that was responsible (they had witnessed the incidence at the lifts themselves). So what does everyone think? is september 16th a good day for this, is this a bad idea? All the kids that will be attending with have moderate experience with mtb riding and dirt jumping but will be totally new to downhilling (except for my son). I can't say the same of any of the chaperones that will attend with the kids though. Let's hear what everyone has to say about this. Dave

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
is your son the kid with the ih and the purple bar ends?

and im sure no one will have a problom. if you warm them up on the easyer trails (otb, easiest dh rn, ect...) just if they dont do the wall ride please tell them to ride domboo, and if they dont do the jumps please tell them to take either triple drop or fire rode once you get to lower dominian.

other then that i would not hava a problom

Rob Munro

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
you ran into a very rare occurrence. this is the complete opposite of every experience I've had at Diablo for around 40 visits over 2.5 seasons. the vibe there is to encourage and teach the new riders, young and old. Are you sure you aren't confusing this with a snowboarding trip to Hunter?

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
it could have been the day the snowboarders were aloud to ride the lift and had some kind of rail jam across the street. only time i remember being yelled at from the lift by people i didnt know. take them down every trail but let them go first. if there are a lot of people on top of alpine tell them to go first. i have never been mad at someone who was slow and stuck infront of me, we all started somewhere.

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
we'll give it a shot, to answer a couple questions, no my son doesn't ride the bike with the purple bar ends, he rides a totally stock Norco 4X4, second question , yes it was a bike trip to Diablo we had all the problems with, and it sounds like as far as this group is concerned there should be no problems, I will see what the group is up for, after last year I know the 4 I took last year will not be up for it, but I may be able to get a couple of the others to go, besides it gives me a bargaining tool to get my wife to authorize me to make another trip all the way out to Diablo on a non-race weekend (besides platykill AMBC that weekend). See you all in a few weeks.

jimtsc

Chimp
Jul 28, 2007
Slow and cautious is a good thing for beginners but I'd remind kids to be aware of the surrounds. If they are find they are causing a log jam of riders behind them it would be courteous of them to pull to the side and let the other riders pass.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
the only problem i can see is if they were on alpine every run, not doing the wallrides... it doesnt bother me the first time but last year i got stuck behind people not doing the wallrides 3 runs in a row, that sucked.

i do think its a great idea although i recomend domboo.

good luck with it, its great that u can do things for the kids to keep the sport going

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
yeah it was probably the snowboarders the only time you would get yelled at is if you were giving attitude to a lot of people or blocking a trail for a long time if you werent hurt. but other than that its pretty hard to get yelled at somebody off the lift now. nobody could care less what the people below them are doing

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
i think its a great idea, bring the kids down. if you need help that day let me know, pm me. ill be happy to help you out. i like to see the little kids and girls out there it really shows that anyone can do the sport. usually whenever i come up on a slower rider i just tell them to take their time and not to worry. thats the last thing i want is someone to wreck in front of me.

dennis

Polish Rambo

Chimp
Aug 3, 2007
report anyone giving you a hard time on the trails to the office, if you pay for the lift ticket, you have as much right as any else to the trails.

nervous_john

Chimp
May 31, 2004
Right. Everyone should stay off of Alpine if they don't ride the wall rides. That also includes the doubles on Alpine and Dominion- if you don't do them then stay away. Oh! And if you can't make the turn after the progression drops without skidding stay away from that but don't think you can take the SRAM berm if you don't make it over the table between the trees. And most of all PULLEEEZZZ stay the hell off of Tempest if you don't hit the Anthem drop because nothing ruins my day worse than being behind someone who doesn't hit that. Hmmm. You can ride ...ummm...welll. In fact maybe everyone who isn't a pro should stay off of every trail. Honestly do you guys realize just how ridiculous "stay off of Alpine if you don't ride the wall rides blah blah blah" sounds and is?

Every trail has features some people are comfortable with and others that they are not. I'll challenge anyone to ride EVERY feature on EVERY trail. It's not going to happen. Saying stay off is as insulting as it is ignorant and elitist. People have to learn somehow and that somehow is by being exposed to things until they are comfortable enough to attempt them. Last time I checked no one was getting paid to "hot lap" a trail on a non race day. The least anyone can do is ease up for another rider beginner or otherwise in front of them on the trail (never mind that IS actually a rule to yield trail to the rider in front of you). The lift is fast there will be plenty of other runs.

My advice to the guy with the kids group is do it again. Ride wherever you want at whatever pace you want. If someone gives you an exceptionally hard time -complain. That goes doubly so if they attempt to pass on the trail because that's outright dangerous. Most folks are polite, helpful and kind at Diablo but as is usually the case a few self aggrandizing meatheads give everyone a bad rep. I think it's fantastic to get more kids involved in the sport and I think we all can commend you for doing so.

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
thanks for the comendation, I am going to attempt another trips for kids, I have spoke with a couple of candidates today as well as their parents. There is great hesitation from many of the parents after word of last years trip has spread in our little town. I really do believe last years incidences were an isolated case in which a group was just riled up and ready to cause conflict with whoever got in their way. I had talked to someone in charge last year when the issue first arrose and they informed me that they knew who it was that was giving the issues and that it had been taken care of so I feel confident that it should go smoothly as long as I can get consent from the parents. By the way, you challenge someone to clear ALL obstacles on ALL trails. Is there money involved in this challenge or just a right of passage challenge. Either way, I'm up for the challenge, I haven't seen anything yet I won't hit, why not try down there. But I hope you have more than RTN, Anthem and Dom's Denial, I did all those on a hardtail:banana:

Rob Munro

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
I really do believe last years incidences were an isolated case in which a group was just riled up and ready to cause conflict with whoever got in their way.
they sound like a bunch of hacks making themselves feel better by picking on beginners.

But I hope you have more than RTN, Anthem and Dom's Denial, I did all those on a hardtail:banana:
the drops are just the tip of the iceberg.

FreerideHI

Chimp
Aug 24, 2007
Waimanalo,Hawaii
If my first time at Diablo is anything like yours, I'd end up swinging. I just don't understand why jackasses have to be like that. Good luck with your trip, maybe I'll see you out there.

Fall Guy

Chimp
Sep 4, 2007
Hey Dave, I ride pretty much every weekend at Diablo. I think introducing kids to mountain biking and downhill is an excellent idea and helps insure the future of the sport. I would say as long as all the kids are very capable mountain bikers there should be no problem.
I have been there when there were groups of kids (might have been you) and they were riding Alpine all day and people were yelling from the lifts (not me). The problem that day was that Alpine was jammed all day because that seemed to be the only trail they were riding. It seems like most riders stick to the front side of the mountain and all the trails wind up at Alpine. There is Domboo which is a little lame and Ripper which is one of my fav’s but again, I don’t run into many riders there either.
My point is this; Diablo doesn’t seem like a place that most 8 year olds would be able to handle. If you have a group of young riders that are the exception, then you have every right to be there like every other paying customer. Since most trails are double black diamond “Expert Only” including alpine and if you were to bring kids that are not even close to being Experts then that might be a different story.
I would say that your responsibility would be making sure that they move swiftly through sections as a group and give faster riders a chance to pass. If they are stopping to eye up obstacles then someone should keep an eye out for approaching traffic and when it is spotted everyone should quickly move out of the way. This is something I see a lot of people guilty of so I'm not singling you guys out.
Since you bring up the subject, Diablo might want to consider a Kids Day only during the week so that more people could bring kids. I'm sure there are many other riders out there with kids that would love to bring them but afraid of having the same problem.

FastBandit

Chimp
Jul 4, 2007
Northern, NJ
Right. Everyone should stay off of Alpine if they don't ride the wall rides. That also includes the doubles on Alpine and Dominion- if you don't do them then stay away. Oh! And if you can't make the turn after the progression drops without skidding stay away from that but don't think you can take the SRAM berm if you don't make it over the table between the trees. And most of all PULLEEEZZZ stay the hell off of Tempest if you don't hit the Anthem drop because nothing ruins my day worse than being behind someone who doesn't hit that. Hmmm. You can ride ...ummm...welll. In fact maybe everyone who isn't a pro should stay off of every trail. Honestly do you guys realize just how ridiculous "stay off of Alpine if you don't ride the wall rides blah blah blah" sounds and is?

Saying stay off is as insulting as it is ignorant and elitist.
I agree 100 percent.

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
Good news and bad depending on what angle you look at it. If you were one that was affraid of being slowed by kids the news is good for you. If you were one that wanted to help ensure the future of the sport the outlook is bad. The trip for kids trips has been CANCELLED. I myself will be there with my son but I was unable to convince the parents of the kids that the same would not happen this time around down at diablo. There was great concern that confrontation would happen with their children (not that they worry about their kids any other time, but that's a different matter) so they were not willing to sign the release forms. I feel this is a great strike against us all, I appreciate all that had tried to comfort my concerns and help with the situation but it was to no good. I have resceduled the trip to a different location a different weekend. THanks Dave