Quantcast

Trips w/ kids a success, great local talent

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
Hey just wanted to give a shout out, comment as you please. Today (sunday) even though the trips for kids trip to Diablo fell through I pulled together a small group of kids and a couple chaperones and did an unofficial trips WITH kids to diablo. Just want to say for the most part the mountain has taken a 180 degree turn since our last trip to there. All but one tiny disgruntled rider (our mistake one of our 12 year olds accidentally crossed onto alpine near the progression drops and slowed down another rider) but he was not vulgar in any way just informed them that it was a big mistake, no problems. Other than that things kicked off greatly. We had a 9 year old a 12 year old and two 15 year olds that came with us and loved every minute of today. On a side note I just wanted to give a shout out, this was the first time I was able to come to Diablo and break away from the group while they were taking breaks and let me tell you, some of the local talent is amazing. I had dropped in behind about 5 groups of locals throughout the day and I have to say there is some talented riders down there at Diablo. Without any local riding spots I am used to riding and waiting everywhere I go downilling and freeriding. When I followed in with some of the locals down there I was able to just let it hang out and enjoy the ride, no waiting as obstacles were cleared, no stopping for 5 minutes for the group to catch up, just crank it and ride. I think it's apparent I have to come attend a couple of the races there this coming year, I think the unfamiliar terrain will make for some great competition and even better racing. Anyways enouph for my rant, thanks to all that made the kids have a great day, and thanks even more for the groups that let me follow in and ride behind them, and to back up a past thread, the 160 mm 36 Talas and 7" rear travel of the Marin was sufficient, but after following a couple locals, those extra couple inches would have felt much nicer in the rock gardens at 20 mph. Thanks everyone.:happydance:

Rob Munro

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Just want to say for the most part the mountain has taken a 180 degree turn since our last trip to there.
glad to hear you had a good time. although I think the local vibe has always been great. your first bad experience was completely abnormal. you should expect to have this kind of visit every time.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
... All but one tiny disgruntled rider (our mistake one of our 12 year olds accidentally crossed onto alpine near the progression drops and slowed down another rider) but he was not vulgar in any way just informed them that it was a big mistake, no problems. ...
I'm playing a little devil's advocate here, but, I wouldn't even consider that behavior 'disgruntled.' He was probably pretty happy until you endangered his health and safety (along with the kid in question).

I had heard numerous past stories of douchbaggery concerning faster rider being slowed up by newer ones, but I agree it is no longer an issue at Diablo.

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
Disgruntled: Being slightly irritated or upset by someone or something unexpected

Yeah, by definition as I said it was our bad but yes he was disgruntled, and no I did not in any event put his or the childs safety at risk, it was a total accident in every way, the child was making his way from the rest area just before the progression drops to the smallest of the drops, he swung wide to get a straight shot at the small drop and in that instance a faster rider came down the trail, hit the jump and landed in the right hand berm before the table top to the right of the progression drops, it happened so fast even I did not see the person coming as they were not even in sight when the kid started his approach to the drop. Like I said I appologized that he got in the way and there was no vulgarity or anything of the such it was just as I had stated, one little incidence, no bad to anyone.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Disgruntled: Being slightly irritated or upset by someone or something unexpected

Yeah, by definition as I said it was our bad but yes he was disgruntled, and no I did not in any event put his or the childs safety at risk, it was a total accident in every way, the child was making his way from the rest area just before the progression drops to the smallest of the drops, he swung wide to get a straight shot at the small drop and in that instance a faster rider came down the trail, hit the jump and landed in the right hand berm before the table top to the right of the progression drops, it happened so fast even I did not see the person coming as they were not even in sight when the kid started his approach to the drop. Like I said I appologized that he got in the way and there was no vulgarity or anything of the such it was just as I had stated, one little incidence, no bad to anyone.

hey man dont sweat it. this stuff happens all the time. 2 weeks ago when i was there another rider came onto the trail from a different enterance and almost hit each other. no big deal the other guy slammed on his brakes and we kept goin. i wasnt mad or anything that stuff happens, what are you gonna do about it? all the "locals" and "nonlocals" have good attitudes when it comes to riding. ive had other riders offer me half their lunches before, not just once but 2 or 3 times.

you should really plan another trip for the kids next year or later this year before the season ends.

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
Another trip will definitely be planned, as I had stated, all that attended had a great time. This is just what I needed to get everyone convinced that this type of trip was possible again. It will probably be next year before we get back down. I will give it time for the word to spread on how great everything was down there, that way next year we shouldn't have too many problems with parents agreeing to sign all the paper work. I think next year My son and I will be visiting more anyways. I am in the works of reworking my race schedule next year to accomodate a few races down at Diablo. My son has finally gotten so that he can clear all the runs down there and I feel more comfortable letting him run the course without me. Sunday him another one of the kids did shuttle runs down by themselves for the better part of the afternoon. He got about 13 or 14 runs in throughout the day including a couple on tempest and one down BMW, although he had a few troubles down around the wall on stigmata, he had to walk a couple little spots nothing major, so expect to see more trips for kids next year, and I look forward to racing with you all.