Quantcast

Trouble in bikeland, warning to SS monkies!

animal 52

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
Just took my good wheels off the old frame and I've got some problems. I'd had it set up SS for awhile, just spaced out the cassette and used one of the cogs. Super bad idea. The cog has eaten into the freehub body after a few months of riding. Only about a millimeter, but the whole thing is of course all seized up now. I think I'm going to have to dremel or hacksaw the cog off, then I'll see how bad the damage to the freehub is. The worst thing that could happen is that I need a new freehub body, but that's way more of a pain in the ass than I wanted. So if you are going to go SS, don't just space out the cassette. You'll just end up ****ing up you're super smooth nice ass ringle hub that you wish you were riding instead of a crappy ball bearing hub that comes stock on the P1.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
w3rd. you can use something to push down the area of the cassette body sticking up, that's what i did (King freehub body). that is, after i strained every muscle in my body trying to get off half a Gussett 1'er conversion kit.

and make sure to use a King cog, Boone cog, or a hopefully-soon-to-be-released Surly cog. they all have wide bases.

J

JRB

Echo said:
I love the simplicity of my $80 Surly singlespeed disc hub... just thread on a $10 BMX freewheel and ride :thumb:
:stupid: 'cept mine is a van dessel for $45. The chain line ain't perfect, but it's pretty quiet.

SlackBoy

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
if ya space it out with old casssette spacer that you've ripped apart, kep the on cog that has the threads in it, get the bolts and thread them through. sure ya get a spacer look that looks dum cos there's this extra unused cog, but the pressure get spread over the whole freewheel body more evenly

Strakar

Monkey
Nov 17, 2001
Portugal
the Inbred said:
w3rd. you can use something to push down the area of the cassette body sticking up, that's what i did (King freehub body). that is, after i strained every muscle in my body trying to get off half a Gussett 1'er conversion kit.

and make sure to use a King cog, Boone cog, or a hopefully-soon-to-be-released Surly cog. they all have wide bases.
So that means that not only the Gussett 1'er conversion kit is afterall a bad idea, but that shimanos DX cogs will eat into the freehub as well?

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Echo said:
I love the simplicity of my $80 Surly singlespeed disc hub... just thread on a $10 BMX freewheel and ride :thumb:

There's another advantage with a SS hub. Less or no dish means even tension on both sides of the wheel and it is able to withstand the stresses of SSing better.

Mike

Showtime

Chimp
Aug 6, 2003
Seattle, WA
I have been running a Gusset 1er setup for 8 months now with no problems at all, however, its on a steel freehub. I have heard of other people having problems with AL freehub and getting their cog stuck. If you have an expensive hub with an AL freehub, I would worry about it, otherwise, ride away.

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Asheville, North Carolina
the Inbred said:

Tell me about the surly cog...do you have a link?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
they mention it here: http://www.surlybikes.com/surlyblog.html

"Cogs- if you have not already heard, we've redesigned our track cogs, added some sizes, and are making a splined cog for singlespeeding on Shimano-type freehub bodies. 13-22 tooth in all models. These have taken a bit longer than normally expected due to circumstances you most likely don't care about. At this point, we cannot put a timeframe on their arrival, not even a guess-timate. In addition to the track cogs, the lockring has been redesigned to have more thread engagement."

since you're in the biz, maybe you can convince them to hook you up with a prototype. the first run was supposed to be out in october, if i remember correctly, but something went wrong, and i believe Surly rejected the whole batch. now who knows when they'll be released.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
'bout $20 - $25, i guess. when you can find them. steel ones sell out quickly, and that's the one you want. QBP is out. has been for a while. sucks. i need to get 2. you might find some on Ebay, if you're lucky.

Boone Ti cogs are $2.-- per tooth.

I've delt with this before and every hub manufacturer always says te same thing. "The cog will pull into the cassette body about 1.0-1.5mm but not any further."
This still leaves the problem of getting the cog off when you want to.
What I do is take off the lockring, and the first set of spacers, then slide an old cog on the body. Grab two chainwhips and us them to pull the driving cog backwards so it lines back up with the body-slots. Then the drive cog slips off no problem.
It isn't ideal, but when you gotta make do with what you got...it works.

animal 52

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
Hey internal14, do you happen to work in a bike shop in davis? I spent a summer working at Wheelworks, right after Steve bought it. (yes, I know I'm hijacking this thread completely).

Also... that's a good idea with the cogs, but I can't bring myself to do willing damage to my rear hub, even if only 1-1.5 mm of damage.

I'm having a bike shop check on the King cogs for me. If they're available, I can post the price and availability if people are interested.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
another option:

one bmx cog of your chosen size.
two smaller size cogs from a freewheel, or whatever.
a couple c-clamps or something similar.
some jb-weld.......

get the idea? works very well; the stress of driving the bike isn't going to pull the cogs apart. i did this a while back to make a wide based cog on the cheap. ran with it on my ss for a long time before i finally got a king cog.

just be sure to have everything (the splines of the cogs) lined up nice and straight, and have the cogs cleaned up so the stuff will bond well.
then clamp them nice and tight, clean off the excess epoxy that leaks out the sides, and let sit for a day or two.

you could also drill/have a machine shop drill through all three cogs, and bolt them together.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
Spicer makes a big, thick rear cog out of Ti, but it's like 65 bucks, and sizes are limited. But this thing will not eat into any freehub....

Attachments

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
the drilling and bolting would be cool, but i don't have access to that kind of machinery, and have a feeling it would screw up the bits i have on my little drill.

i've been waiting on Surly for a while, but to see that Endless is releasing some made my day. and at $30...awesome.

ZEDMAN

Monkey
Nov 19, 2003
S.F. California
zedro said:
that goes for for even full casettes where you have steel cogs on Ti or aluminum freehub bodies.
yeah i noticed that my hope bulb body had little notches in it. it wasnt a problem getting off but i was concerned about it.

animal 52

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
I'm surprised this thread surfaced again. So the cog was easy to get off with a chainwhip and cassette tool. A little filing and the cassette is as good as new. King cog for me next time though...

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
stiksandstones said:
A singlespeed is like eating with chopstix...there is just no point.

and all this time i thought i was riding my SS (and the geared bikes) to have fun.

hell, now that there is no point to it, i guess i'll give it up. :rolleyes:

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
stickman, i think we've finally found your failing :D
it's really the other way around, geared bikes are like chopsticks :D

anyhoo, i'm looking forward to the Endless cog, i know Marshall's got his **** together so it should be pretty good.