Quantcast

Truck noob: tailgate pad options

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
So I bought a Tacoma, with a cap. I think a tailgate pad seems like the way to go for hauling >1 bike, but want some feedback on options. The Race Face one kinda looks like the nicest, with the foam spacer blocks that sandwich the down tubes. Any thoughts?

I also assume that the rear glass on the cap won't close properly with the pad in place. How annoying will it be to take the pad on and off on an as-needed basis?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
@Full Trucker has a Tundra with a cap and tailgate pad full-time. With the rear window open and gate down, we can load bikes then two people can lift the tailgate and close it, so long as you mind where your handlebars are.

The pads with downtube straps are solid. That's the best option, IMO.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Don't know about others or if you care, but put something between the pad and the paint. I've had a few friends end up with scratched tail gates.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Don't know about others or if you care, but put something between the pad and the paint. I've had a few friends end up with scratched tail gates.
And scratched downtubes.

I'm not in the "it's a mountain bike, it's going to get scratched" camp. I prefer to scratch my bike by crashing it on trails, not getting it to/from them.

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
I shuttle in the same places you're probably going to. The race face pad is the best among the types I have used fairly extensively (owned a Yakima and second gen dakine pad personally, used a soft ride and evoc as well on others' rigs).

The bumps are nice and the straps work. Put some harbor freight moving blankets under the pad on your tailgate. Win money go big.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I've got the DaKine one with cool print on it, pictures of Mooses and pheasants and shit, it works really well, but has been fading pretty fast. Holds 6 bikes if you're kinda crafty, 7 if you're really crafty. Shuttling 7 dudes in a Taco is suboptimal though, so there's that.

It's got fleece on the back side to protect your paint. I do wish is stayed in place a hair better, and they could have done a bit better job making it fit the taco tailgate. Really, why are these universal? 97% of mountain bikers drive who but the small DaKine pad drive tacos, dial in that fit brah!

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
I also have the Dakine pad with the fleece on the backside, and no issues with the paint on the tailgate. It holds the bikes great with the straps. Older models don't have the straps or the fleece. I do wish the pad was a little longer to cover more of the tailgate, but mines a full size one on a Dodge Ram. A lot of the new full size pick ups have a lip sticking out of the top back of the tailgate that doesn't allow the pad to go down as low as it could.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
I have a Tacoma and bought the Race Face pad this year to replace a worn Dakine.

The Dakine was fine, but I always ran a bungee over the toptube to an anchor point on the bed to keep the bike from tipping over. With the Race Face, just using the included strap on the downtube is all that's needed.

Both are fleece backed and were on my truck 24/7. Never had any problems with tailgate scratching. The part of the tailgate that my bike always sits on is definitely worn/compressed, so some pipe insulation or some kind of additional padding would probably be good if you care about that stuff (IDGAF).

The Race Face is just slightly bigger all around, and doesn't lay completely flat on the inside of the tailgate. Both are easy to put on/take off.

I've carried five bikes on the highway and forest service roads and the straps on the Race Face pad held everything securely and no bikes were scratched.

Both also cover your backup camera, if that matters (IDGAF, again).

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I have the RF one. It is really nice, doesn't move, and holds the bikes well. The only critique is that it faded like a motherfucker in just four months.
How hard is it to take on and off? Since it'll keep the back window from closing I think I'd ideally use it on an as-needed basis only.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Holds 6 bikes if you're kinda crafty, 7 if you're really crafty. Shuttling 7 dudes in a Taco is suboptimal though, so there's that.
It's a first gen extra cab, so 7 dudes would be REALLY sub-optimal. :rofl:

I have a Tacoma and bought the Race Face pad this year to replace a worn Dakine.

The Dakine was fine, but I always ran a bungee over the toptube to an anchor point on the bed to keep the bike from tipping over. With the Race Face, just using the included strap on the downtube is all that's needed.

Both are fleece backed and were on my truck 24/7. Never had any problems with tailgate scratching. The part of the tailgate that my bike always sits on is definitely worn/compressed, so some pipe insulation or some kind of additional padding would probably be good if you care about that stuff (IDGAF).

The Race Face is just slightly bigger all around, and doesn't lay completely flat on the inside of the tailgate. Both are easy to put on/take off.

I've carried five bikes on the highway and forest service roads and the straps on the Race Face pad held everything securely and no bikes were scratched.

Both also cover your backup camera, if that matters (IDGAF, again).
Yeah, I've used the Dakine one on other people's trucks and it's fine, but could hold the bikes more securely. The RF one looks better, but I am a little worried that it won't fit great, since it's a couple inches wider than the tailgate, even on the smaller size.

Don't have a backup camera though, so that's a non-issue. :rofl:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I'd honestly just get an actual rack. Like Northshore.

If you wanted to get crafty, I had always thought about adding buckles to my Dakine pad to make it quicker than just threading the straps though. My old Dakine pad was super janky and worn out and I tossed it and haven't replaced it. Just been using a moving blanket or putting it in the bed.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
God damn it. The RF pad doesn't fit well at all. It's both a little too wide, so you have to really work at pulling the sides in to get the tailgate to close, and it seems to be designed for a newer truck with a much thicker (depth wise) tailgate, so it's really loose and floppy.

Any other ideas?

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
IMG_1657.JPG
Just measured my Dakine and it's just under 52". It has a hole worn through on the side where my bike always rode, but it's yours if you want to pay shipping.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I would think a hitch rack would be the way to go. That way you don't have to mess around with itwhen you go camping, and can still have your sleeping set up when you carry bikes

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Mexican blankets. You fold them to work with the bike and tailgate to get a snug fit. They are cheap, become a moving blanket or keep you warm. Protect your upholstery with em, impress the ladies at picknicks and some much more.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Don't use moving blankets. You'll beat the shit out of your downtube on bumpy roads. I've seen a couple brand new bikes with REALLY messed up downtubes just from driving back and forth across LA with all the bumpy highways by doing this.

The newer Dakine pads have the felt lining on the inside, which actually does a nice job of protecting the tailgate paint. But be advised that they're narrower (left-to-right) and not as thick as the prior versions. That means there just isn't as much padding, and you could easily let a bike come off the side of the pad and ride on the tailgate on a full-size truck (Gen 2 Tundra is the example here). They come with straps which keep the bikes in place nicely, but I never use them unless there's a good reason to.

Taking the pad off isn't bad. Putting the pad on and feeding the straps up through the underside of the tailgate usually requires a pick or a snare of some kind to pull it through. Doesn't take more than a couple minutes to throw it on and cinch it up, but doesn't just slap on either.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
They are doing it wrong, fold blanket until it's 2-4 inches think and use it. One blanket per bike. No dented down tubes. I never use my Dakine pad anymore, just too hard to put on my f150. Maybe if I had five friends that mountain bike but I don't.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I'm doing the same. I have a blanket I use if need be, or I'll just put it in the bed. Kind of over the Dakine pad. It's pretty much in the bed or on a rack at this point.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
my two buddies have ford rangers, and we just pile the bikes in and have the bars hanging off the side.. wrap all the hard edges with thick blankets

obviously not the case for you because of cap

wagons for life bru