Quantcast

Truvativ Hussefelt DH crankset question...

Jan 24, 2006
Groom Lake
The crank arm bolts on my Hussy 1.1 crankset keep coming loose. This crankset has the external bottom bracket assembly (like a Saint) but it still has the 8mm bolt that secures the crank arms onto the spindle.

I can't fully tighten the crank arm bolts onto the spindle because it puts a bunch of pressure on the bearings and the cranks won't even spin.

I'm sure this is a user-error but I haven't found any answers in the tech sheets on the Sram/Truvativ site. I would think that maybe there should be some sort of a spacer or something that allows you to fully tighten the crank arms without putting any pressure on the bearings at all. But I didn't end up with any 'extra parts' during the assembly so I'm kind of at a loss.

Anybody want to lend a hand to a stooped (but hopefully not stupid) rider?

Thanks in advance.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I've had similar situations with square taper, isoflo, and isis. From what I've experienced, it's a problem with the crank arms themselves. If the spline receivers on the crank arms are worn, tweaked, or out of alignment somehow, the retaining bolts would work themselves out. If its just one crank arm that's working it's way loose, try swapping it with the other side. I know it sounds funny, but take the chain rings off, swap the arms (left to right) and bounce around. If it's the same crank arm that keeps working it's way loose, then there you go.... my $0.02......

btw... I'm not familiar with that crankset, but I am familiar with hussies.

benjaminj

mr. amy
Mar 21, 2007
so. tahoe
The crank arm bolts on my Hussy 1.1 crankset keep coming loose. This crankset has the external bottom bracket assembly (like a Saint) but it still has the 8mm bolt that secures the crank arms onto the spindle.

I can't fully tighten the crank arm bolts onto the spindle because it puts a bunch of pressure on the bearings and the cranks won't even spin.

I'm sure this is a user-error but I haven't found any answers in the tech sheets on the Sram/Truvativ site. I would think that maybe there should be some sort of a spacer or something that allows you to fully tighten the crank arms without putting any pressure on the bearings at all. But I didn't end up with any 'extra parts' during the assembly so I'm kind of at a loss.

Anybody want to lend a hand to a stooped (but hopefully not stupid) rider?

Thanks in advance.
I've had that happen on 2 different Hussefelt cranksets and I'm convinced it's the crank design - basically the only thing holding on that crank arm is that small bolt and it fails from hard riding. I have one on my DH bike right now and the left arm needs to be tightened after every ride. I used to have one on my trail bike and that would do the same thing. Once it loosens up while riding the bb and crank is shot. This is a low end crank set and simply doesn't last long. The only solution I have come up is the replace the one on my trail bike with an XT crankset (works great and much better design lighter) and replace the one on my DH bike with a single ring Saint crankset.
If anyone has a better fix let me know...

yamaguy01

Chimp
Jun 2, 2008
Fussa, Japan
Does anyone know if this effects the Holzfeller OCT cranksets? I recently purchased one to put on my Yeti build but have yet to install it since I am waiting on my bottom bracket to arrive. Any info would be great.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

ElTacoNegro

Chimp
Dec 10, 2008
this may sound like a bad idea, but i put some red loctite on the threads and the bolts have yet to come out. Before, they would loosen after about 3 minutes of cranking.

I do think that the splines on my bottom bracket are worn a bit b/c the crank arms will rotate a very small amount w/ repspect to one another but the bolts hold them on fine axially. Now all i have to do is heat everything up to 500 degrees before the loctite will break down and allow the parts to separate...LOL!