• Truvativ Hussefelt

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • FSA Pounder

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
Anyone have any riding time on these cranks? They are both well priced, tryingto decide which on might be better. The FSA's will probably be stiffer/stronger, but also alot heavier, and about $15 more.

I've got kick ass deals lined up on both of these, just not sre which one to go with as I haven't heard much about either of them.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Go the FSA. The amount of problems I've heard about (and experienced) with Hussefelts has put me off buying any Truvativ product ever again.

They're soft, bend real easily, and depending what model, you either strip/mash the pedal threads, or have a nightmare of a time with the crappy steel thread insert.

FSA all the way ;)

Chutney

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Tacoma, Wa
I have Hussefelts on my IronHorse, and they have given me no problems and are plenty stiff, but then again i havent put them through an entire season of DH yet.

On my trials bike i have a set of FSA VDrive cranks. I stripped out the pedal threads couple weeks ago and sent them into FSA for warranty. I had them back at my house in 3 days flat, no questions asked even though i had to file the cranks down to fit my oversized granny guard on.

So i guess what im saying is that if you want longevity the FSAs are probably the way to go, but im not gonna vote since i havent actually used that crankset.

-Jon

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
Here is my 2 cents. Cromoly cranks are overkill unless you are a big guy (180 lbs or more) or a hucker who breaks stuff and needs the extra strength. Aluminum cranks that use pipe spindle axels are the best choice for racing bikes, because who needs more weight to a 37 plus pound DH rig.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
hey get the fsa V-drive extreams. they are light, strong and have only hear of one small problem also they are inexpensive. i ride them on a hardtail that i do everything on from dh to urban to dj'ing on and i have had no problems.

btw i weight 240lbs and i'm very hard no parts

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by Transcend
3 seasons on truvativ cranks for me
Holz or Husse?
Holzefellers don't have any of the issues I've encountered with Hussefelts, as they're made out of 7000 grade alu, not butter...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by Rik
Holz or Husse?
Holzefellers don't have any of the issues I've encountered with Hussefelts, as they're made out of 7000 grade alu, not butter...
1 season on hussefelts, with no issue and 2 on holzefellers. The hussefelts are still rockin on my msisle now.

yellowfox

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
Akron OH
I bent the hussefelts about 2 months after i had them and i only weigh 155lbs. I'm a smooth rider too. I won't get another set but that doesn't mean they aren't good i guess. I'll stick with Bmx crank sets.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Originally posted by yellowfox
I bent the hussefelts about 2 months after i had them and i only weigh 155lbs. I'm a smooth rider too. I won't get another set but that doesn't mean they aren't good i guess. I'll stick with Bmx crank sets.
So you're light, smooth, killed them in two months, but that doesn't mean they're not good? Well, at least you're optimistic! :thumb:

yellowfox

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
Akron OH
Originally posted by thaflyinfatman
So you're light, smooth, killed them in two months, but that doesn't mean they're not good? Well, at least you're optimistic! :thumb:
thats correct! just because they sucked for me doesn't mean they won't be great for someone else. I coulda got defects, who knows. haha

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I bent my Husse'es send em in for warranty and get a new pair, and bend those in a week:dead: I weigh under 160 pounds, those cranks are forged Land 'O Lakes BUTTER!:D

The FSA's have to be better than that.

yellowfox

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
Akron OH
zark, did they give you a hardtime about warranty and how long is the warranty on them? I ran them on the p2 when i first got it and have them on my xc bike right now but are so bent. I'd like to send them back and get a new set...

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Warranty was painless, Truvativ sent out arms, I had em in 3 days. That part was cool, bending 4 days later on the FIRST ride on em:angry:

See if they'll upgrade you to Holzfellers, they should be better.

CraigH

Chimp
Jan 15, 2002
Vancouver, BC Canada
Killed the non-drive side Hussefelt a couple of weeks ago (first day at Whistler this season, which made for a suck-full day.)

Same issues as others, pedal thread stripped out and the Isis spline was stretched so that it came loose quite often.

The dead crank is now a paper weight on my desk.

I replaced it with a set of RF Diabolus, we'll see how they last.

B

bighitfsr

Pounders are pretty much the lightest Cro-mo cranks on the market as most other cro-mos use the super heavy 19mm profile type axle.

For me the most common problems with cranks are stripping pedal threads and rounding out/dammaging the spline interface on the crank arms. Steel is vastly superior in this respect because its much harder and more fatigue resistant than alu.

The strength of the actual crank arms has never been an issue for me (I weigh ~ 170lbs). I've never managed to bend or break a crank arm (I've rounded out the splines on 3 sets of cranks including a set of profiles). On a full suspension bike its very unlikely you'll bend or snap a crank arm IMO.

The other major advantage with the pounders is they work well on bike trailors common at races where you slide the non-dirve side crank arm into a slotted steel tube (steel cranks barely get scratched and alu cranks get messed up pretty quickly).

If you want to save some weight get FSA v-drive extreemes they are reasonably beefy and super cheap. They wont hold up as well as the pounders but they are lighter and so cheap that you can replace them more frequently.

Husslefelts are the worst cranks out there. The secret truvative alloy is total crap (very soft). My housemates husslefelts lasted about 2 months before he stripped the pedal threads and shortly after rounded out the splines.

If I was buying new cranks I'd get either pouders, vdrives or saints.