Quantcast

Try a Sunday?

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
While I've had a quick pedal on a few over the years I've never actually had a Sunday....and I've been offered a nice deal on a brand new frame (world cup with vivid). Its not that far off my current ride in angles, just a little lower in the BB. Would any of you consider going back to a sunday as a race bike? I tend to be fairly fanatical about trying things out with my bike so I think offset reducer cups/cane creek headset and cutting up the link to fit a RC4 are possibilities in the future. I'm also fairly fanatical about having something that isn't "ooh aah look at how much money I can spend" so that part definitely fits the bill...
So if anyone has some opinions they'd like to share it would be grand.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
go for it
I own a sunday for 5 years now.
with a 63 HA and the original DHX5.
its the best race bike ever

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
Why not. They have great geo and most people would not be able to out ride one. I own one and to be honest an upgrade to the new Pivot seems like a nice idea but lots of $$$$ for not much gain. It's so easy to get caught in the "must have the latest and greatest " trap.

DO IT :thumb:

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
As long it fits size wise go for it. I've had mine now for 3 seasons, feels really good with -2 angle cups and the only reason that i am gonna sell it is because it is starting to feel to short.

PS and they wont fold as a tin can after one season.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Go for it...the worst part about the bike is the goofy-ass shock tune, but otherwise it's stout and has great angles. Get your shock sorted and ride for years...mine is an 08, raced on the WC level prior to me and it's still solid. I got my shock sorted with the appropriate tune and spring rate and it's actually pretty great. I'm sure somebody will contradict me, but I don't think a whole lot has changed from the Sunday to the more modern DW link bikes besides the leverage ratio and maybe a few super subtle intricacies that you won't be able to detect on trail.

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
Interestingly enough, a friend of mine got sponsored this year and was given the 09 Sunday after having ridden a taiwanese catalog bike for two years before (Poison brand to be sure). He told me lately, although he rode many races this year, that he never really got accustomed to the bike, and he has missed the extra 2 inches travel the Poison had. I know he's a talented rider but likes to hit stuff hard, so he just probably needs a bit more travel.
As for me, I've owned frames with 6" to 9" travel in the past and none of them made me particularily faster. But then again, I'm not nearly as fast as my friend is.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I think that you will love that bike with a 1 degree to 1.5 degree Cane Creek Angleset and an RC4. It's almost like the RC4 was made for the Sunday..

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
I run my sunday with some angled reducers, gives it 63.5 HA and around a 13.7BB, Im going to get my Vivid pushed, and i cant see myself needing a new frame for at least 2 years!

richgardiner

Monkey
Aug 19, 2008
If you get one, make sure you stock up on spares!
Ive luckily got hold of an 09 front triangle and a bos dw link for £250 so i should be pretty sorted for the next few years with the exception of bearings/bushings running out.
Ive got -2 degree cups in there and it feels great.
In the next few years im either: get my dhx pushed, avy dhx hi/lo tune, push mx tune, bos shock, but for now its absolutely fine!

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Good deal on a brand new Sunday wc frame = no brainer. I loved my '06 and wanted another one, but couldn't find a deal on a large (contrary to all the talk that everyone was gonna dump them b/c of IH's demise). I did put a big dent in my bb shell, but apparently did affect anything, and the frames's a tank, durability-wise. Not sure why you'd have to stock up on spare parts even. I also dig my Canfield, but would have to say it doesn't pedal quite as well. I do give the Jedi the win on square edge hits, though.

Last edited:

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
DW. (or anyone who knows...)

is the rc4 really a better shock for the sunday then the DHX5 ? why?

thanks

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
Great responses, thanks. I've organised to do a few runs on one on the weekend and then I'll make up my mind early next week. Nice to see that no-one said "save the money till you can get a ....." looks like it'll either suit me or not. At the price (1/3 of an evil/etc here in Aus) I guss its probably too good an opportunity to pass up - and my old frames very tired.

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
One of my friends is gonna be getting a milling machine soon, i will be having him making me a few new DW links for sure!

ldw222

Monkey
Jun 16, 2009
Rochester, NY
I'd say get it! I've been on an 07 Sunday frame for 3 years and it really has been the best bike I've ever had. I'm eventually going to have to give it up when something breaks and I'm not looking forward to it. It really sucks Iron Horse went under...they were on top of the world for a while there. If they had kept it together I bet they'd have some great bikes out right now...

jules

Chimp
Aug 3, 2010
have a brand new sunday sitting in a box and waiting to be built up for the next season... looking forward to it!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
DW. (or anyone who knows...)

is the rc4 really a better shock for the sunday then the DHX5 ? why?

thanks
Im not sure what Dw has to say about it but the RC4 is a progressive shock(wasnt sunday designed around the 5th?), add to it that you can always ramp it up a bit at the end and it works very good with the degressive end of travel on the sunday.

btw. Wouldnt elka fit without any grinding? You can get it custom tuned so it should work good with the bike.

As for the deal - Id get it. Sunday is a great bike, with offset cups I doubt it will be any worse than the current gen of dh rigs.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Check the sunday megathread...there's a reason it's 60+ pages long...

You can't run an Elka on it without grinding. You can run an avy chubie or whatever, a vivid or a dhx5. You have to grind for a bos, elka, rc4, or anything else besides a fifth.

I imagine the rc4 is much like the DHX but with low and high speed compression and less "boost valve" nonsense, though the boost valve does a good job of pretending to be a progressive ramp. I may look into an avy DHX tune now that they supposedly exist...or I'll just ride it!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Check the sunday megathread...there's a reason it's 60+ pages long...

You can't run an Elka on it without grinding. You can run an avy chubie or whatever, a vivid or a dhx5. You have to grind for a bos, elka, rc4, or anything else besides a fifth.

I imagine the rc4 is much like the DHX but with low and high speed compression and less "boost valve" nonsense, though the boost valve does a good job of pretending to be a progressive ramp. I may look into an avy DHX tune now that they supposedly exist...or I'll just ride it!
Its very different in feel from a dhx. Dhx worked really silly with bikes that are linear mid to late travel, rc4 works great in that area. Really 2 different shocks.

Also if avy chubie works - Id try that ;)

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
I think that you will love that bike with a 1 degree to 1.5 degree Cane Creek Angleset and an RC4. It's almost like the RC4 was made for the Sunday..
dw, interesting to hear you say that, I'd considered some angled cups for my 09 Sunday but thought, well, it's been designed around this head angle so I don't wanna mess up the handling in some way. You reckon a 1 degree reduction would make an already awesome bike that bit better?

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Mark do you overthink absolutely everything? The angled reducer cups rock, completely sold on -1 deg version compared to standard and really want to try -2.

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Mark do you overthink absolutely everything?
Yes. :)

Seriously though, I'd toyed with the idea but the bike copes amazingly with Ft. Bill, Alps, steep stuff as it is, so I forgot about it. Just thought it was interesting when a guy who had a major part in designing the bike suggests it.

Mar 14, 2008
I've been running reducer cups for a while now, and I'm super happy with how they transformed the bike. I first ran -1*, and decided I wanted to push it more, so I bumped it up to -2*. The bike is now longer (47.25" from 46.25" stock), lower (13.6, with 8.3" showing in the stanchions) and is a blast to ride.

Would love to try a RC4 tho...

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
does the rc4 need a special tune for the sunday?

thanks
Nope, I ran an RC4 in my Sunday last year and it was great, until a super heavy bottom-out taught me that I hadn't actually ground quite enough of the lower link away and I smashed the HSC/LSC adjusters. It rode well though. If you're willing to grind away the (fairly substantial) amount of material from the lower link, the RC4 works very well with the Sunday, it's a bit more progressive than the DHX as well as less sticky and more adjustable. Run it with high pressure (170-200psi) in the boost valve, maximum bottom out resistance, and tailor the LSC/HSC/rebound settings to your liking. With that kind of setup and some angled reducer cups you'd have one of the most bombproof bikes around as well as something with excellent geometry and good suspension.

ATO - the RC4 will not fit without significant amounts of grinding, it doesn't even come close with the stock links.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Nope, I ran an RC4 in my Sunday last year and it was great, until a super heavy bottom-out taught me that I hadn't actually ground quite enough of the lower link away and I smashed the HSC/LSC adjusters. It rode well though. If you're willing to grind away the (fairly substantial) amount of material from the lower link, the RC4 works very well with the Sunday, it's a bit more progressive than the DHX as well as less sticky and more adjustable. Run it with high pressure (170-200psi) in the boost valve, maximum bottom out resistance, and tailor the LSC/HSC/rebound settings to your liking. With that kind of setup and some angled reducer cups you'd have one of the most bombproof bikes around as well as something with excellent geometry and good suspension.

ATO - the RC4 will not fit without significant amounts of grinding, it doesn't even come close with the stock links.

What about with the BOS links?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yeah sunday + angled cups = awesome.
Yep. I loved the feel of the Sunday with the offset cups. Along with the Pike, the IH Sunday frame is one of those things that should never have been discontinued.