Quantcast

Trying to decide on a new XC race bike

andres611

Chimp
Jun 28, 2007
I need some help trying to decide on a new XC race bike. I could get pretty good deals on them so it comes down to which bike.

What I am looking at is on a SPecialized Epic, or a Stumpjumper HT, either a 26" or a 29".

Never really ridden a HT so makes it harder to decide.

THis will be a race specific bike. I have a 6" dual suspension bike that is what I love riding therefore what I ride everywhere.

Any pointers?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, consider the courses you think you will race.

I usually recommend a hardtail because of the lower weight and maintenance. But if the courses are super-choppy, then a 3-4 inch travel bike is cool.

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
I'd get a Spooky Darkside.

I only say that because I decided that's what I'd get if I ever wanted a bike like that.

(a spooky 29'er might get me off my cove stiffee)

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
If i was going to ride a hardtail, i'd go with a 29er. If it'll roll over bumps a little easier, maybe it wouldn't feel like i was getting punched in the taint every time i hit a bump. Plus, i think it would be a lot easier to keep momentum on a 29er hard tail as opposed to a 26 inch hard tail.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Really terrain specific. When I raced it was all hardtail as that was all there was but full suspension would have been a lot faster. Actually I did some racing on a full suspension bike and it was a lot faster on the Test of Metal than on a hardtail. If they fit 29er wheels will roll faster. If you will race on smooth buffed courses a 29 er ht is probably the way to go.

The bumps we deal with here on xc trails are larger than the 29er's decreased rolling resistance can overcome. But then maybe a 29er full suspension might be ideal?

andres611

Chimp
Jun 28, 2007
I test rode the HT, liked it but I am not sure my back or my kidneys can handle it. Trails here in the PNW are not smooth at all. Lots of roots and rocks. I know I want the Epic, because with the brain is like pedaling a HT but absorbs bumps, but is a huge difference with the HT in price.

fro biker

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
in the sticks
if you rarely ever ride a HT, then why would you consider racing on one? get a baller 3-4 incher and rage on. a full susser is a lot of fun, and with the current shock/suspension technologies, the only advantage is a little weight. and i think it would be better to just go out and train and with a little heavier gear rather than beat yourself up on a bike you don't necessarily know how to ride.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
In your situation, I'd probably recommend a FS. If that's what you're used to and comfortable on your current trails on, then why mess with a good thing. I personally have both and use which ever one is best suited for the course (bear in mind that I race 24hr. solos so having both is a great thing).

Last edited: