• Muc-Off

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Effeto Mariposa

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Okay, so I've looked a bit on this forum and couldn't find much on those 2 questions:

-What is your favorite tubeless sealant, or the one you found the most effective ? (I made a poll if you don't feel like writing)

-How long does sealant stays "good" if it's unopened? I bought some 2021/11-made Orange Seal yesterday (regular version) at MEC and I was wondering if it's still going to be useable this summer (and ideally, next summer too). It's still very liquid and looks homogenous without rubber balls or stuck residue (just a bit at the top of the bottle). They were 5$cdn/8oz (I bought 4 bottles) so my thinking is that at worst, I could just strain the biggest pieces if there are any, but all the bottles seem very liquid. Does the effectiveness disminish with time? Like after 5 years unopened, would it still seal if I get a puncture?

Edit : I used to like WPL's eco sealant, but they changed the formulation and it seems to never dry and leaves my sidewalls wet (enough that I need to clean the floor each week).

Thanks!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I've been using Orange Seal, but haven't really had a lot of punctures to really test it. I seem to always get large holes that need multiple tire plugs and just don't seal. :disgust: Though, my tires have always sealed nicely on the rim and it lasts for the summer season at least.

I don't have much to compare with, no real reason to switch away. It's always easy to get at MEC and its usually priced fairly well.

I did start using the endurance stuff the year before last and it does seem to last a bit longer.

I did have one large bottle of the regular stuff possibly go bad. All the solids floated to the top and developed a sort of puck in the bottle. I used it anyways, after poking through it.... :rolleyes:

I have read that keeping it indoors, ie not frozen in your shed helps with storage life. Also keep the bottle well sealed and possibly store the bottle upside-down.

Girlfriend uses mucoff sealant. I don't think she has had a flat to really test, but it smells nice and its pink. It also makes a horrific mess if it sprays all over your wheel.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
@canadmos That's exactly what I was wondering. Thanks!
@sethimus I've never used or seen milkit around, I'll have a look. They also say that it can last 5 years even if opened, so that's nice.

I'm looking for something as eco-friendly as possible, but it's hard to find msds info or real constitutens. Even WPL don't say anything about their materials used. They mention it being bio-based, but that doesn't mean anything by itself.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Efeto mariposa is the worst I ever used. It's barely good enough for sealing porous tubes :(

Recently I got stans race and there was some precipitate/stone in it. It did nevertheless seal the tire to the rim...

When I was doing ghetto procore stuff, I inflate the tyre by piercing it with a needle on the sidewall. The Orange endurance stuff was best at sealing closely followed by the old WLP eco. Then stans race worked kind of ok too.
I did not try any of the other listed sealants.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Efeto mariposa is the worst I ever used. It's barely good enough for sealing porous tubed :(

Recently I got stans race and there was some precipitate/stone in it. It did nevertheless seal the tire to the rim...

When I was doing ghetto procore stuff, I inflate the tyre by piercing it with a needle on the sidewall. The Orange endurance stuff was best at sealing closely followed by the old WLP eco. Then stans race worked kind of ok too.
I did not try any of the other listed sealants.

Stan's race is just regular stans with pearlite. Pearlite is basically styrofoam of the rock world. In theory it should help plug larger holes. while not adding much weight.

1709932380132.png

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I never flat on my regular trails (no sharp rocks) so was using Orange Endurance for the longest time. But it leaves a really obnoxious film/webbing inside the tires which annoyed me when swapping tires regularly. And I feel like it was dissolving rim tape adhesive. So I switched to regular Stans last time I had to restock.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
On the note of the film/webbing that occurs when the sealant is no longer liquid, what are the thoughts on this?

Usually I end up picking at it and ripping it out, maybe for no other reason than its satisfying and if part of it rips off, I can't leave half the tire coated and the other half not.

But perhaps, that film might aid with clogging holes? I mean, its quite flexible and is usually stuck right on the rubber. So if you got a flat, could some of it be forced out of the hole by the air pressure? Kind of like a run flat tire on a car?

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
You didn't vote though. Mine is the only vote for regular Stan's.
Indeed. But seems to me that the Stan's from 20 years ago is not the same formula as today's version. Need to try to find a sealant that ACTUALLY can plug a puncture.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Back to Stan's after getting tired of the sticky mess Orange Seal leaves. Both seem to work for sealing, but OS turns all sticky and nasty for me when changing tires.

Tried something once that had little bits of glitter in it, I believe it was from Maxima, not impressed.

Want to try some WPL due to the fact you can just dump some water in when it starts to dry out and it will be rejuvenated (supposedly). Sealant tends to dry out really fast here due to the altitude.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Stan's race currently. Would not say favorite, but what I have atm.

It does sound like you have gravel in your tire though not noticeable when riding...but give it a spin and it sounds like a Mountain Cycle coming down the hill.

No idea on punctures, but sidewalls still weep on occasion. EXO+.

Something else next i think.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
E13 i was suprised worked well in sealing their porous tires. Must be good to seal them
Copy that. Bought it once at a local shop and was surprised by its performance. Bought 3 1l bottles since and it has been delivering all the time. Seems to stay liquid for quite some time too.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i don’t use it, but a bunch of kids in North Carolina are sponsored by “black ox” sealant.
It’s fun to ask them if they like “black ox”!
tried it because local. would not recommend. clumped up/dried out really fast in the bottle. didn't really seal punctures well. their valves sucked too. funny story-found out one my wife's nurses when she was in the hospital was the owner's daughter. didn't tell her that her dad's products sucked...

stans or orange for me.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
tried quite a few brands (but weirdly only 3 from your POLL)... always end up returning to Stans. It just works... lots of others just don't.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I'm still using whatever Tune's sealant is, I bought it because it said the usable life is 9-12 months, that's a bit of a stretch.
I doubt it would be much good to seal holes as it has such a low viscosity.

I'm going back to Juice Lubes Tyre Juice after this runs out, only because I'm lazy and I find it the easiest to clean out of a tire.
Stan's and Orange seal can get fucked, lasts no time and is a pain to clean.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I use regular Stans because it's common and has always worked. I don't get punctures or have any other tire problems so I don't need anything better.

The funny thing is how easy it is to make your own Stan's. No one else seems to be able to do better than a visit to a hobby store.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I've used Stan's a log time ago, when I first started running tubeless. I then switched to my home-brewed sealant for well over 10 years, with great success.

I have recently purchased some Stan's sealant again. I agree the 2024 Stan's seems quite different for the original version.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Thanks all! Seems like I'll try the Orange seal for the E13 tires I have and continue using WPL for the Continentals.

My Kryptotal (Enduro casing) with WPL sealant is still holding air since last october and the bike hasnt moved since then. I guess the problem was the E13 tires then. Once I'm done with my spare E13s I'll probably just stick with Conti anyway.

As a side note, on the latest Vital podcast, Gwin said that he has switched to E13 tires for 2024. VEE already made E13 tires anyway, but he seems to like the E13 versions even more.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Gwin would switch to Kenda tires if they paid him enough. :rofl:

might need to check if he did that in the past or not..