Quantcast

!@# Tuesday GMT Thread #@!

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Sponsered by the Dept. of Redundancy Dept.

Can't sleep, up well before the sun. It gets me wondering what the trails are like around here at 4am. Probably full of animals. I should stay here where it's safe and drink coffee.

And you?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Worked 14hrs yesterday.
Dumped $500 into the truck swapping all the fluids and filters.
Barely had time to eat and get annoyed by the kids before my wife sent me to bed.
More of the same today, followed by a ride tonight.
Start the long weekend with a few days on the Cape end of the day Wed.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Morning. Summer is really winding down here and I am trying to figure out where the past 2 months have gone :( Oh well. I'll be packing the kids up soon and heading to the grocery store and then tonight I'm hitting the trails for a ride.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

'Round these parts the streets are full of animals @ 4am. On my ride in I've seen raccoons, skunks, coyotes, owls, and been chased by more loose dogs than I can count.
Strava says second best commute time this morning. Not bad considering how much I've slacked on the bike lately.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
It gets me wondering what the trails are like around here at 4am. Probably full of animals.
all the times i went camping and hiking with a friends dogs i would watch i never gave it a thought.

so why am i now all the sudden worried that all the places i want to visit this fall are in bear country...

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
all the times i went camping and hiking with a friends dogs i would watch i never gave it a thought.

so why am i now all the sudden worried that all the places i want to visit this fall are in bear country...
Because they're in bear country.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Sponsered by the Dept. of Redundancy Dept.

Can't sleep, up well before the sun. It gets me wondering what the trails are like around here at 4am. Probably full of animals. I should stay here where it's safe and drink coffee.

And you?
I've done a few pre-dawn rides, but always had somebody with me, and the sun was up within 15min. Not sure I'd do a 4am in Golden.

Work. Ride this afternoon. Prep for trip to SF.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Mornin! Up with the sun here in Des Moines, though it was more like up with the dog. Off to Nebraska today, our last stop before we get to our new home. It's killing me to see my bike on the back of the car and not be able to ride it.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Mornin! Up with the sun here in Des Moines, though it was more like up with the dog. Off to Nebraska today, our last stop before we get to our new home. It's killing me to see my bike on the back of the car and not be able to ride it.
hit up kung fu tap and taco before you go.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Worked 14hrs yesterday.
Dumped $500 into the truck swapping all the fluids and filters.
Barely had time to eat and get annoyed by the kids before my wife sent me to bed.
More of the same today, followed by a ride tonight.
Start the long weekend with a few days on the Cape end of the day Wed.
:rofl:

Morning, fvcknuts. Nothing on this end except work, work, work and soccer, soccer, soccer. :mad:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I was reminded of an idea a friend shared with me when I moved here; it was a pack you wore when riding or hiking and if you encounter a mtn lion or a bear you'd push a button and the pack fires sausages in the other direction, distracting the hungry beast and giving you time to make your escape.

:D Going to make millions, BRB ...

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
something about getting up to go to work while it is still dark out that really sucks. Opened a fresh bag of coffee beans this morning. Nothing like a steaming hot cup of freshly ground coffee to start the day ( ok waking up to a BJ would be way better...)

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
****, all this talk about bears and mountain lions..... Try a pissed off moose, or pussed off elk or deer..... I have a MUCH higher chance of a foul encounter with those here this time of year

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
description from an old family member from maine...

"trying to hunt moose is like trying to shoot a stalled truck"
It's true.
Getting killed by a moose from any means other than hitting them with a moving vehicle (you will die) takes a special kind of retard.

Came across a dude that smacked a moose at high speed on his sled a few winters back in maine.
His body was basically ground beef inside a Ski-Doo team wrapper.

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
I was reminded of an idea a friend shared with me when I moved here; it was a pack you wore when riding or hiking and if you encounter a mtn lion or a bear you'd push a button and the pack fires sausages in the other direction, distracting the hungry beast and giving you time to make your escape.

:D Going to make millions, BRB ...
so like this, but with sausage?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
It's true.
Getting killed by a moose from any means other than hitting them with a moving vehicle (you will die) takes a special kind of retard.

Came across a dude that smacked a moose at high speed on his sled a few winters back in maine.
His body was basically ground beef inside a Ski-Doo team wrapper.
I love when people say this, a moose this time of year, specially a bull, will get very teritorial, and defend with a lot of aggression. ............ They will in fact eff you up quicker than you know what happened

Moose, elk and deer are not always a gentle creature, they can snap and do...... People get seriously injured and killed from all three.....

Also see my original statement, this time of year... They are starting to rut, not a good time to be caught in the eyes of a moose

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
When I was about 12 years old, a moose escaped from a zoo (I believe) and walked along train tracks for some crazy distance and eventually made it to the town I grew up. Sure as sh1t, the thing walked right through my backyard as my brother and I were playing outside. We did the smart thing, filling our super soakers and blasting it.

That is the extent of my interactions with moose. Other than watching Rocky and Bullwinkle.

Edit - can't believe I found a link. Apparently I was 9.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-8329800.html

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I love when people say this, a moose this time of year, specially a bull, will get very teritorial, and defend with a lot of aggression. ............ They will in fact eff you up quicker than you know what happened

Moose, elk and deer are not always a gentle creature, they can snap and do...... People get seriously injured and killed from all three.....

Also see my original statement, this time of year... They are starting to rut, not a good time to be caught in the eyes of a moose
Have you ever even seen a live moose let alone one during rut?
I grew up in moose country and they were far from an every day sight.
A herd of several hundred elk wander past my moms house west of denver all the time.
Even during the rut they give no fvcks about anything but the elk scamming on their bitches.

Yes, both 'can' kick your ass.
Statistically, not much of a threat.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
A herd of several hundred elk wander past my moms house west of denver all the time.
Even during the rut they give no fvcks about anything but the elk scamming on their bitches.

I grew up where DM currently lives and the moose were a greater threat than bears. You go a bit south and it is not all that uncommon to see them.

I've also been in the middle of a heard of several hundred elk. It's a pretty wild experience. Six dudes on motos and very few fvcks given on the elk's part.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005

Yes, as a matter of fact i have, watched one charge another group, bout a two foot diameter pine tree in its path was no match..... Again with the size and shear intensity these animals have... I will take an encounter with a bear first