Quantcast

***Tuesderp GMT***

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Anyone have any recommendations for a bike-mounted traffic cam? something like @Toshi has in his car(s)? I want something that'll record my commute, and I can erase when I get to my location if nothing's happened. Arguing with people is not productive. I found the only thing that is productive is calling the police to report an aggressive driver. I found they are usually willing to pay that person a visit, so long as I can identify the driver and the vehicle. They'll even put a note on the driver's file if its an egregious offense. I think If I have video, they might even be able to lay charges. I used to whip out my smart phone and take pictures, but given that it's winter and I'm wearing mitts, that's not really workable...

Last week I have an unpleasant interaction with an asshole driver that I reacted poorly to. I think if I had a camera, I wouldn't have reacted, and just sent the footage to the police, which is a much safer course of action. So I'm thinking of picking up a camera.

I'm not really a camera person, I kinda bums me out when people stop on rides to take pictures. I also think no one cares about my gopro footage. But... if I'm going to get an action cam, the household name is gopro... I watch Seth's bike hacks from time to time, and he seems to feel the older 4 is still the best model for mountain biking. But they're out of production I think... Any thoughts from the monkeys-gallery on cheap, easy to use, simple, sturdy action cams out there? I have a bunch of go-pro mounts already, for my bike lights...
if you lived in america, you'd be asking what gun to buy in this scenario.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Terrible head cold has finally subsided enough for me to get a decent night's sleep. Had to drag myself out of bed to make a 7:00 meeting. I was rather surly during said meeting as the organizer was late and unorganized. Drag me out of bed you better fucking have your shit together.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What sort of fantasy-world do you think we live in? :think: :D
There is a major lack of professionalism at this place that annoys the shit out of me. We have one engineer who has an image in their e-mail signature of a unicorn farting a rainbow. I was going to tell her to remove it but then some senior manager actually complimented it. This would be grounds for corrective action at any other company I have worked for.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
There is a major lack of professionalism at this place that annoys the shit out of me. We have one engineer who has an image in their e-mail signature of a unicorn farting a rainbow. I was going to tell her to remove it but then some senior manager actually complimented it. This would be grounds for corrective action at any other company I have worked for.
send in the bobs

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
here's a new one. The president of our little company stopped me and said I should fill out the exit survey honestly, or have a meeting with him or somebody I feel more comfortable with to give more info on why I'm leaving. I feel like that's a pretty good run-the-fuck-away sort of situation, eh?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
here's a new one. The president of our little company stopped me and said I should fill out the exit survey honestly, or have a meeting with him or somebody I feel more comfortable with to give more info on why I'm leaving. I feel like that's a pretty good run-the-fuck-away sort of situation, eh?
If you're not trying to burn bridges, yes.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
he has been a friend and might be the only person that is legitimately concerned that I was leaving, but nobody wants to hear that they feel like they do not have the ability to take a day off without retribution and that the 30 person company he helped build was the most vertically oriented, siloed structure possible.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
he has been a friend and might be the only person that is legitimately concerned that I was leaving, but nobody wants to hear that they feel like they do not have the ability to take a day off without retribution and that the 30 person company he helped build was the most vertically oriented, siloed structure possible.
sometimes the truth hurts.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
1* outside. :nope:
Hoody, puffy jacket, insulated shell, beanie, hood, glove liners, gloves, heavy socks, long underwear, and jeans. All on to clean the cars and driveway this morning. Still cold.

Subaru wouldn't start with the remote start this am. I had to get in and turn it over. So fucking cold.

Hannah back to the Dr today for follow up, but she's eating and breathing just fine. I'm healthy enough to function as a parent again and the helpful MIL is leaving this afternoon. Been one hell of a weekend .

Avoid raving and provide whatever constructive criticism that might help.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
clean the cars and driveway this morning
Clean out your garage already and park at least 2 of the 3 cars inside... I was actually thinking of your plight as I spent a few minutes cleaning off the front stoop, then re-entering the house and hopping into the car parked in our heated, insulated garage.

:D

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
if you lived in america, you'd be asking what gun to buy in this scenario.
yeah... I got kinda hot-headed last week. If I was in America, you might be reading about me in the news... Still, it's best to count my blessings I didn't go and get myself hurt, and quit (acting like a dumbass) while I'm ahead. I'm trying to avoid becoming a statistic...

I'm hoping having a camera mounted to my handlebars will remind me to chill out....

So... any thoughts on the cheap chinese gopro knock-offs? Will they survive the daily abuse of being used on a commuter bike?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Tell him:
Point 1: I don't feel being exceptional, just a normal dude doing his job (well)
Point 2: 90% of employees leave their current job because of their manager

He don't need to hear any more. ;)

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Tell him about the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the wise

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Clean out your garage already and park at least 2 of the 3 cars inside... I was actually thinking of your plight as I spent a few minutes cleaning off the front stoop, then re-entering the house and hopping into the car parked in our heated, insulated garage.

:D
It's a depth issue. Prior owner built the shelves too far out.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
So... any thoughts on the cheap chinese gopro knock-offs? Will they survive the daily abuse of being used on a commuter bike?
There are some engineers here who have zip tied some cheap ones to robots in our facility. They seem up to the abuse so far...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Came here to comment on the weather, too.

57F, raining and 90% humidity. I'm kind of excited for this donkey bike ride tonight. It should be sloppy and wet, and thus there should also be very little human shaped pylons on the path to dodge.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Came here to comment on the weather, too.

57F, raining and 90% humidity. I'm kind of excited for this donkey bike ride tonight. It should be sloppy and wet, and thus there should also be very little human shaped pylons on the path to dodge.
which donkey bike did you get again?

and forgive me for being daft, but regarding the gopros on the robots in your factory... can that really come close to the daily abuse of commuting year round on the bike? Being out in the elements, put away wet, sometimes not being put away at all, just left out there in the wet?!

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
which donkey bike did you get again?
A 2017 Giant Revolt 1. It was cheap and has been good so far. I mean, as good as one of these bikes can be. :busted:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/revolt-1-2017

I'm doing one of the 240km Ride to Conquer Cancer rides in June. Debating whether to just swap tires on this thing or see if I can "rent" a road bike from my shop for a month. The fender on the downtube isn't very aerodynamic and it might look dorky without it. :brow:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Had an interview Monday last week and was supposed to hear back. Have not yet, but haven't given up. Snowaggeden has the city on lockdown.
Try it now?

Waiting sucks. My experience, from both sides of the equation is that this kind of thing falls to be bottom of people priority lists and always takes longer than expected. It was 3 months between my interview and offer for this job, thankfully I didn't need a job at the time.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
thanks, I'll look into it.
I have one and while OK on a moto helmet, I think it is a bit too heavy for a daily use on a bike. I am looking at the GoPro session - small factor FTW.

Btw. I just got almost run over on my ride by a twentysomething white trash asshole on the only lights I had to take between back roads and more back roads. Asshole in a decommissioned Vic cruiser had to pass me 20ft from the lights only to park in the right lane waiting for the green light, and buzzed me by like 4 inches for no apparent reason other than to show me what he is thinking about bikers. For about 2s, I was toying with the idea of pulling him out of the side window by his hair, only to quickly cool down and realize he is not worth the impeding deportation, so we just yelled at each other until he got green light. Drivers in Mass fucking suck their mama's dick.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I have one and while OK on a moto helmet, I think it is a bit too heavy for a daily use on a bike. I am looking at the GoPro session - small factor FTW.

Btw. I just got almost run over on my ride by a twentysomething white trash asshole on the only lights I had to take between back roads and more back roads. Asshole in a decommissioned Vic cruiser had to pass me 20ft from the lights only to park in the right lane waiting for the green light, and buzzed me by like 4 inches for no apparent reason other than to show me what he is thinking about bikers. For about 2s, I was toying with the idea of pulling him out of the side window by his hair, only to quickly cool down and realize he is not worth the impeding deportation, so we just yelled at each other until he got green light. Drivers in Mass fucking suck their mama's dick.
i suggest carrying old D cell batteries.

one through their back window should get their attention.

i suggest carrying old D cell batteries.

one through their back window should get their attention.
When I commuted in Cambridge, I locked the bike with a chain and padlock. When I rode, it was around my waist. Instant weapon, used it two or three times, generally show of force was all that was necessary. Also did a ride-by shooting with a Wrist Rocket once...