Quantcast

turned a hardtop bronco to a convertible in 10 minutes [chop shop style]

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Try that with a Subaru. Bet that'd be a pain in the ass!
We worked a wreck on hwy 9 in the Santa Cruz mts where a WRX missed a turn at 70+ mph went airborne over the edge got slowed up and turned upside down as it plunged though some large oak branches finally landing on its roof some 100 feet below the roadway.

The roof line was 4" above the doorsill and the two guys were mangled but alive. using the spreader it took less than 5 minutes to pop the doors off and then a few more to cut the "B" pillar and seat backs off so we could pull them out and send them to a trauma center by helicopter.

our tools cut though cars quite well. even the side impact steel door rails will cut really quickly with a rescue blade in a sawzall

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I've heard stories from resue personel that cutting a non-compromised Subaru B-Pillar is a monumentus task.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
I've heard stories from resue personel that cutting a non-compromised Subaru B-Pillar is a monumentus task.
it really depends on which tools you use and how old they are

older hydraulic tools don't have enough power to snap the steel in the pillar on some vehicles. The newer tools are much better and a sawzall with a rescue blade cuts reinforced steel fairly fast

it also depends on if you are trying a straight across cut or a "v" cut at the roof that goes around the pillar instead of through it...

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
10 minutes is a really long time....... If I were sitting in that thing with my head cracked open and bleeding, I hope you could do it quicker!

Looks like fun though :thumb:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
mike unless the car was a big crumpled wad we would usually just have to pop a door to get someone out. keep in mind that the medics would have craweled it to start treatment at the same time as we start cutting and prying [again unless the car is a big crumpled wad of sheet metal]

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
mike unless the car was a big crumpled wad we would usually just have to pop a door to get someone out. keep in mind that the medics would have craweled it to start treatment at the same time as we start cutting and prying [again unless the car is a big crumpled wad of sheet metal]

Yeah, I was involved in a large scale crash a long time ago, my mom was driving. our car was a "big crumpled wad of sheet metal" and they had to cut the roof off and peel it back to get her out. We were in a late 80's Volvo station wagon. Joker, if you think its hard to cut up a Subaru Try a Volvo! The rescue workers were taking care of my mom the whole time, but kept saying how hard it was to cut the roof off of a Volvo, and that if it hadn't been a volvo, we would probably all be dead, but my mom would definantly be.

So Eric, I know where you are coming from, I was just on the other side of things.