Quantcast

Turner DHR review

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
needs moar pages. is there a page devoted to Reach? sure hope so.
Not sure if you're serious, but the reach on a size L DW-DHR is approx 16.1". This is actually from Turner's website. The old Sunday size L had a reach of pretty much exactly 16". I'm coming off a L Sunday and at 6'2" ride the L DHR. If you want moar reach, go w/ the XL at 16.7".

I agree with all of woo's review. Most noticeably the pumping action. If you can get into a rhythm in the gnar and pump thru it, holy cow you will shoot out of that section like a rocket.

Also, it does not tend to stay in mid to later bit of travel on successive big hits like my Sunday used to.

I am still getting used to head angle. You gotta stay up on it, but man it holds traction in corners.

Chain slap does suck. Velcro is no match. That 3M stuff is better. I put one layer of it down and its still pretty loud. Maybe I should put 2 layers down (or 3?). My sunday was pretty sylent. :thumb:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Chain slap does suck. Velcro is no match. That 3M stuff is better. I put one layer of it down and its still pretty loud. Maybe I should put 2 layers down (or 3?). My sunday was pretty sylent. :thumb:
Honestly, my bike is pretty quiet. You need to cover ALL the exposed aluminum though. Top and bottom of 'chainstay', bottom of seat stay, and even the junctions on that yolk on the swingarm.

Spencer is someone I wish to heckle.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
compared to a demo overall?
If I weren't on this bike I'd be on a demo. That's the 'other' really low bike that I like. The newest model that I've ridden was set up a little loose for me (decent sag but I would have added some LS compression damping) but the Turner gets the edge on just having a really good, solid feel through big chop that helps keep the bike a little more level. I'm pretty sure you could get the same behavior or close with the demo with some shock tweaking though. Overall I'd say it has a lot to due the turner maybe being just a tad more progressive (and maybe 'earlier') and having a little bit different axle path. Both bikes are really good though. I wouldn't be crying on either one.

"Gucci suspension".

You're welcome.
I've been saying gucci since I was a kid in the 80's back when it meant something!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
By saying things like 'improved written' apparently.
I have a sneaking suspicion that after spending 4 years at one of the top engineering schools in the country (ie surrounded by smart motherfvckers) my impending return to the real world is going to be one hell of a shock to my system. :(

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Compared to the TR450? That's my current gold level standard so I'd love to hear how the Turner stacks up.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
To put it simply..... 'more refined'. That said I didn't get to spend time dialing in the suspension the way I would have if it were my bike. It reminded me a bit of a much more linear feeling square tube dhr with much better angles (you've had both of those does that sound right?). I liked it. The DHR (given MY bike that I set up) just seems to tighten up under pedaling a little better and have more pop with leg input while staying compliant where you want it to.

Buy a tr250 now so I can try it out.:D

Last edited:

Speedwa

Chimp
Jul 24, 2008
PNW
Great review Kidwoo! Yeah I bet that Spencer fool is just cursing his poor decision in bikes and should wait for your review before he buys anything in the future. Oh well the terrain where he lives probably doesn't even merrit a 6" trail bike!!!

Speedwa

Chimp
Jul 24, 2008
PNW
"There’s the obvious stuff, too, like riding a bunch of straight fall-line skidder junk in the pacific northwest proved how much more stable a slacker bike is, but you knew that already."

Favorite quote of the article. Trails are overrated up there. Please quit picking on shake-n-bake though.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
It reminded me a bit of a much more linear feeling square tube dhr with much better angles (you've had both of those does that sound right?). I liked it.
Hadn't thought much about it until you mentioned it but I guess they do feel sort of similar from what I remember. Thanks for the comparison, I gotta get a ride on one. I was hoping it would be yours but looks like we are heading to CO instead of your way this weekend.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Wow, great write up.

Got a few chuckles out of me as well. Especially, "I got lucky and happened to break about 13 bones in my back while mine was getting replaced, so it worked out pretty well for me!"

I just happened to catch Decline's review (free online subscription) of the DHR. It also made me lol: "The tires hook up well as we maneuvered around obstacles and corners."

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I like your reviews better than anyone else going right now- print or web.

I think someone should give Kidwoo a TR250, and probably also a Kona Entourage to try out, you know, for comparison.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Saw one of these up close an personal on Sunday. It's probably the nicest looking dh frame I've ever seen.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
nice review bud....i'm pretty much on board with everything you said here...i've been very curious to try the vivid air....

did a bunch of runs yesterday and was so stoked on this bike....it just plain shreds and feels so solid....i can just focus 100% on the riding and not think about the bike at all...it's great

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
agreed, I like your reviews more then all of the other tripe I've read. Actually socket has some good reviews on suspension sometimes.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Respect for not even touching the brake levers in this rockgarden!:thumb:

Nice review btw!

Edit:
Some news about the review pt.2 from nsmb?;)

Last edited: