Quantcast

Turner DHR vs Iron Horse Sunday

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeah well I heard the Sunday and the DHR are really the same bike, and both are made by Jan Karpiel, who has been going around telling everyone his name is Dave Weagle, and whose friends will come chop off your fingers if they catch you braking too much in the turns.

That's what I heard anyway.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
VERY few companies make the frames themselves.
Turners are also made in Portland by another company.
I would venture to say that 75-80% of high-end US made alum frames are made in one of those 2 factories in P'land.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
-BB- said:
I believe that everyone here that has commented has actually ridden a Sunday and a DHR (As have I).
How can your comment not be specualtion when you have not ridden one and this is a totally different bike than SGS?
That's like saying that a 2005 Toyota Tacoma won't be durable b/c you had problems with your 2002 Carolla.
Is the same manufacturer thats why i can comment. I have been around IH bikes for like 6-7 years. On the older models the builds weren't so hot. IH is trying to up their image and that is fine. The SGS was a big step in the right direction but i witnessed first hand that it had alot of the same problems other bikes at that price point had.......

So now the Sunday.
and I am not questioning the design.
I am just interjecting some caution. It's a new product on the market
and some guy is looking to spend his money....

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
OGRipper said:
Yeah well I heard the Sunday and the DHR are really the same bike, and both are made by Jan Karpiel, who has been going around telling everyone his name is Dave Weagle, and whose friends will come chop off your fingers if they catch you braking too much in the turns.

That's what I heard anyway.
just wait till DW gets that huge pile of money from Miramax... it buys a LOT of plane tickets.

<knock knock>
Yeah?
Hi, do you post as Magnolia Fan?
Sometimes, why?
<DW delivers beatdown>

renegade999

Monkey
Jan 6, 2005
New bikes are fun, but so is buying a home and having a retirement fund. Save your pennies kids. Ride old DH bikes.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
Sapa might make a few parts for Foes, but all the frames that have any monocoque work are built start to finish at Foes (other than paint/ano). I'm pretty sure the FXR is totally Foes built as well, that picture is probably four years old of a bike they don't even make anymore.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
James | Go-Ride said:
Sapa might make a few parts for Foes, but all the frames that have any monocoque work are built start to finish at Foes (other than paint/ano). I'm pretty sure the FXR is totally Foes built as well, that picture is probably four years old of a bike they don't even make anymore.
I think their paint is done up here at Maas Brothers Tech Coat

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
James | Go-Ride said:

All the frames are made at the foes shop. The only work foes doesn't do inhouse is paint/ana, cast peices for the shocks, and large hydroformed peices, they don't have the equipment to form the larger ones. Smallers stuff is formed in house. It's actually a really little place, I was amazed when i first went there.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
The sunday doesn't come wit cool moto stickers, but it does come in that green....----dante i know you pounded that thing at plattekill, diablo, and reading how did it hold up after the season and was there anything u didn't like about it?

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
James | Go-Ride said:
Sort of, it's more like saying you'll have problems with your '05 Tacoma because about 1 in 4 people who owned a Toyota made form '01 - '04 had problems. The issues the SGS bikes had, as far as the repair bikes we've seen, were partially due to shortcomings in the design (some of the material wasn't burly enough for hard DH use IMO), but mostly it seems like the slop people were experiencing was from a lack of regular maintanance. So I guess the best analogy for this argument would be expecting the '05 Tacoma to suck because you never changed the oil in your '03. But who would say a Toyota is going to have problems? You'd be crazy.

LOL... That's why I have a Tundra. :thumb:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
acair422 said:
The sunday doesn't come wit cool moto stickers, but it does come in that green....----dante i know you pounded that thing at plattekill, diablo, and reading how did it hold up after the season and was there anything u didn't like about it?
the one I had was one of the very first prototypes that was done to test out the suspension, so my main complaints about it were due to the fact that none of the geometry was right. A little too steep, a little too high, and the TT was too short. Oh yeah, and frame was HEAVY. Thankfully all of that is completely different for the production model.

Frame held up fine all season, it had been thrashed last fall/winter before I got it, and was still solid when I stopped riding it in Oct.

would go on and on about how it rode, but honestly you really have to throw a leg over one and see for yourself. i was switching bikes with friends at diablo and MC and telling them to try pedaling through certain sections. if you're just coasting through the rough stuff it pretty much feels like any other bike, but if you consciously try to throw down pedal strokes you'll see you can get it to hook up through just about anything. now I just have to get in shape so that I *can* pedal down the whole run w/o dying this year... :rolleyes:

let me know if you have any other questions.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
i rode it in the parking lot at diablo durin the US open you probably remember me from diablo i was there about everyweekend (15yr old, silver m1, gold boxxers) how did it jump and corner?

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
dante said:
the one I had was one of the very first prototypes that was done to test out the suspension, so my main complaints about it were due to the fact that none of the geometry was right. A little too steep, a little too high, and the TT was too short. Oh yeah, and frame was HEAVY. Thankfully all of that is completely different for the production model.
I remember when i rode your bike in a parking lot test at mt. snow it was tiny. DW's was better, if i remember right he had a newer prototype than you

sn0wboarder

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
NJ
some people need to back their reasons up like "DHR is the best in the world....yea"

anyway im in the same boat as acair422. any reason to choose one over the other, other then geometry.

konahucker43

Monkey
Jul 18, 2004
central NY
id get the sunday only cuz the one i rode was by far the best petaling bike i've ever riddein, never ridden a dhr but i would issume you could really improve to much over the sunday

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
awwwww....****....I just had to step in on this one...

OK...

I would ride either bike, and they are both insane DH bikes. I think for the first time, it's getting to the point where I would be splitting hairs if i considered one over the other...I know one thing for sure though...My turner holds up to whatever I throw at it...If the Sunday hits the market, holds up over time under the stress of jonny ****stick, I would recommend the bike to anyone as well...As far as I'm concerned, they are both amazing, and the biggest difference between the two is that one has a reputation to uphold, and the other has a reputation to earn....Turner has a rocksolid rep. and fantastic customer service...While Iron Horse has made leaps and bounds of improvements, they are nowhere near turner...those guys are behind their **** 100% and it's been that way for over ten years...

If you're buying a new bike now, and dropping major coin, get the turner...you won't be let down....you know you're not taking a gamble...