Quantcast

turning to the bright side...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
as opposed to the dark side...

strange as it sounds to me, i think i'm gonna buy a roadie...it's been well over a decade since i've even been on a road bike, but have been thinking about getting one for a little bit now, and a good deal popped up on a used frame/new kit to which i couldn't say no.

looks like i'll try to eke one more year out of the ageing DH rig. :rolleyes:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
roading is totally different from the dirt... you're on a bike, but that's where the similarities end.

I love it.

Oh, and that's cool that you're looking at steel. I ride a steel frame and think it's perfect for me. What grade steel?

J

JRB

Is Serotta local to you, narlus???

If you can't find a good deal on a group and want to spend the dough, the shop has had some good prices on DuraAce groups lately.

I dig my steel frame. I have a carbon fork, but wouldn't want anything besides steel, or perhaps Ti.

Hurry up with the pics.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
loco said:
Is Serotta local to you, narlus???

If you can't find a good deal on a group and want to spend the dough, the shop has had some good prices on DuraAce groups lately.

I dig my steel frame. I have a carbon fork, but wouldn't want anything besides steel, or perhaps Ti.

Hurry up with the pics.
Serotta is about 2 miles from where I'm sitting right now in NY. I'm guessing he's talking about Independent (or maybe Seven?)

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I recently made the switch from "downhill junkie" to "fit downhiller who also rides road and xc". I'm much better off for it and actually enjoy the time on my dh bike more. The extra power and stamina goes a long way.

I got a killer deal on a IF Crown Jewel (steel) with full campy record and couldn't be happier.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
Since buying my road bike in January, I've got 1,100 miles on it. 35 miles on my mountain bike, same time frame. I rode mountain this weekend though, and was about 400% stronger. My bike handling skills were actually better, too. (THAT part surprised me.)

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Your bike handling skills probably went up because of the extra strength/energy you have on the bike.

I feel like my skills went down, mostly because I sit down more now. I also feel like I ride stiffer where I used to be real flowy and loose.

Overall, I'm definitely faster though. The added leg power I've gained over the past few months is rediculous. It just makes you want to ride more and more.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
MMcG said:
Nice! That oughta ride like buttah! :thumb:

How are you going to finish her off? Give us the rundown on components.

Enjoy.
i'm getting it from esteemed board member suspectdevice, and he's building it w/ a combo of Ritchey and 105 stuff, mostly new. should be good!

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
nice bike dude. rhode training will do wonders. there are ways to build fitness without a rhode bike but rhode training is pretty important. i like the rhode bike as a medium totally different from my mtb. being on my rhode bike is work being on my mtb is fun although i do also enjoy being on it.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Nice addition to the stable narlus. I'm looking for a deal on a used roadie myself. I'm just looking for something to make the work commute more fun, log some miles, and maybe do some of the charity/fun rides in the area.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
narlus said:
i'm getting it from esteemed board member suspectdevice, and he's building it w/ a combo of Ritchey and 105 stuff, mostly new. should be good!
Indeed it should! Looking forward to seeing her all built up and ready to roll.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I'll say this for the 139th time:

Everyone has a nicer road bike than me.

:D

Congratulations, narlus! We'll be expecting to see you at the 2007 CT MS Bike Tour.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I Are Baboon said:
I'll say this for the 139th time:

Everyone has a nicer road bike than me.

:D

Congratulations, narlus! We'll be expecting to see you at the 2007 CT MS Bike Tour.
I was thinking the same thing - Narlus will now have to join us in 2007!!!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well i hope it's not an experiment gone horribly awry. this unintended expenditure means realistically that i won't be getting a new DH bike for next season. :monkey:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
narlus said:
well i hope it's not an experiment gone horribly awry. this unintended expenditure means realistically that i won't be getting a new DH bike for next season. :monkey:

That is unless I have a good deal on one of those too? Right:) ?
:subliminal:

It feels good to be liberating myself from the detritus of 4 years of way-too serious road racing. I got rid of the Cannondale last year, and so far this year the Dean and the Indie. I'm keeping my custom 853 Smorgasbord as my commuter and my ancient Ritchey as my primary road bike though. I tell you what, that IF is SMOOTH and it absolutely rockets through corners!

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
A few teaser shots to inspire you on your path to greatness:
*(please excuse the ugly waterbottle cage, I had just ordered fancy carbon ones and pulled the existing ones off for my xc bike)*

:love:

J

JRB

Beautiful, Biscuit. I can't wait to see narlus's complete. I plan to ride road today.