Quantcast

Turning To the Dark Side.....

Ok, so I'm looking to get a road bike. I don't want to spend a ton, but I figured under $2k would get me a really nice ride. I plan on riding maybe around 50 - 100 miles a week? Maybe more since I don't really know how far I can go. I figure if I can pedal the 42lbs sled up the SC mountains all day, I should have no problem doing some miles on a roadie.

So far I'm focusing between the Specialized Allez Comp (Al model) or the Trek 2200. I'm leaning toward the Specialized since it has the full Ultegra Groupo vs the Treks combo of Ultegra and Tiagra. Prices are about $100 or so apart.

Anyone ride either of these bikes or choose to comment?

Nitromike

Monkey
May 14, 2004
Some ghetto in Houston
I've ridden both, I prefer the Specialized, it's a much faster bike and just as comfortable as the 2200. The Comp also comes with a better wheelset IMHO. Just a note though, the Trek has Ultegra/105, not Tiagra.

goin' medium

Chimp
Jul 31, 2003
Newark, CA
Nnnnnnnnoooooooooo! Come back to the true dark side... :devil:
N* is open. You don't need to be fit anymore. Let the gondola take care of the climbing. Just point downhill and hold on.

Have another donut. Remember heavier goes downhill faster :D

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
A training buddy of mine who is a real serious rider (pro-elite MTB racer) got a Jamis Comet this season. He really likes it; it's nicer than a lot of bikes that cost more because you pay for their names. It's a really sweet bike and I think it's just under 2K US. Take a look at it: http://www.jamisbikes.com/road_intro.html

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Nitromike said:
I've ridden both, I prefer the Specialized, it's a much faster bike and just as comfortable as the 2200. The Comp also comes with a better wheelset IMHO. Just a note though, the Trek has Ultegra/105, not Tiagra.
I second it. I have a friend that came off a Ti Lemond bike that is super happy with the handling of the Allez.

Nitromike said:

Nitro, you are correct. It's got the 105 front derailer, not the Tiagra. Only problem I have now is I broke my arm at NorthStar this Saturday. :angry: :dead:

I'm thinking the Specialized is the call.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
surfinguru said:
Nitro, you are correct. It's got the 105 front derailer, not the Tiagra. Only problem I have now is I broke my arm at NorthStar this Saturday. :angry: :dead:

I'm thinking the Specialized is the call.

man that sucks, heal up quick.
t

Meh, i'ts not "too" bad. Two splits, top and bottom of the radial right near the elbow, with a hairline between the two. It could've been ALOT worse had they all connected. (Think plate and screws.) I have to go in Thursday to get the fluid drained off the elbow. Now that's what I'm fearful of....

Ok, it's official. I'm now a wanna-be roadie geek. Took delivery of a Specialized Allez Comp Double last night. Thanks to the guys over at Supergo for hooking with me up with a deal on all the accessories. :thumb:

I wasn't too sure about the double vs. triple thing, but I figure if I can slug a 42lb bike up some pretty steep hills, I should be able to get by with the double. Besides, the shorter cage derailer is a little crisper when shifting. Anyway, like they say, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger right?

Now I just have to wait for the arm to heal up enough to actually ride the thing for more than just a test ride around the block.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
surfinguru said:
Ok, it's official. I'm now a wanna-be roadie geek. Took delivery of a Specialized Allez Comp Double last night. Thanks to the guys over at Supergo for hooking with me up with a deal on all the accessories. :thumb:

I wasn't too sure about the double vs. triple thing, but I figure if I can slug a 42lb bike up some pretty steep hills, I should be able to get by with the double. Besides, the shorter cage derailer is a little crisper when shifting. Anyway, like they say, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger right?

Now I just have to wait for the arm to heal up enough to actually ride the thing for more than just a test ride around the block.

das a one spicy meatball. no worries man thats a really nice bike. youll enjoy it. heal up quick.
t

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
If Tyler Hamilton can ride with a broken collarbone you can get out there with that arm! J/k man, and very nice bike. I would love to get a road bike but before I do that I want a nice mt. bike. Toninator better win with those numbers I gave him so I can get both.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Nitromike said:
Well I should have this years Allez Elite for sale for a good price come winter, I'm upgrading bikes .. when the time comes I'll post it here.
i have heard through the GV that you ride but i've never actually seen it for myself. smack buster is july 11th, it's mostly road. OR i'm going to do the nwcc saturday ride, your welcome to come out.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
RideND said:
If Tyler Hamilton can ride with a broken collarbone you can get out there with that arm! J/k man, and very nice bike. I would love to get a road bike but before I do that I want a nice mt. bike. Toninator better win with those numbers I gave him so I can get both.
we're in dude, i'm just waiting for the drawing to make it official.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
RideND said:
I would love to get a road bike but before I do that I want a nice mt. bike. Toninator better win with those numbers I gave him so I can get both.
hey by the way i have a pretty nice 17in 2003 stumpy frame if your interested.

Nitromike

Monkey
May 14, 2004
Some ghetto in Houston
The Toninator said:
i have heard through the GV that you ride but i've never actually seen it for myself. smack buster is july 11th, it's mostly road. OR i'm going to do the nwcc saturday ride, your welcome to come out.
NWCC = Zubie? If so I'll most likely be there, you know what I look like from the other site?

Edit: Smackbuster, my MTB skills are still crap after the knee surgery, I'm not confident on the single track yet .. not sure if its nerves since I blew my knee on singletrack or just because I've been off the MTB so long.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Nitromike said:
NWCC = Zubie? If so I'll most likely be there, you know what I look like from the other site?

Edit: Smackbuster, my MTB skills are still crap after the knee surgery, I'm not confident on the single track yet .. not sure if its nerves since I blew my knee on singletrack or just because I've been off the MTB so long.
i think so we've met once or twice. skinny short and a little scraggly? kind of like you've been hitting the buda a little to long?
i'll be in my nwcc jersy on my S allez pro (zebra paint job)
we'll do a double loop.