Quantcast

Twenty 6 Pre-runner

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I'm getting some new pedals for my AM/freeride bike. I seriously considering the Pre-runner, but don't know if I should go with the Ti or Cromo axle. I use the bike for XC/AM and free ride (10+ foot drops and gaps) I weigh 195 to 200 depending on the season. Can the Ti axle safely handle this??? Or should I just go with the Cromo. Weight is an issue for me...

cheers

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
I'll be a contrarian.

I'm on the older model ones, but I think axle design is similar/identical. I've done over 15' drops on mine, Ti axles, and they're straight as an arrow.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I'll be a contrarian.

I'm on the older model ones, but I think axle design is similar/identical. I've done over 15' drops on mine, Ti axles, and they're straight as an arrow.
how much do you weigh ????? I'd really like to spring for the ti because of the weight and they come many Ano'd colors, as apposed to a few Powder coat options with the cromo's

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
I'm 165. Dunno with you at 195 if it'd be ok or not. They're still extremely light with CrMo axles so there's that to consider too.

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
The Ti that twenty6 uses is quite strong.. I don't believe they give a weight rating but Ward Industries uses the same Ti to make upgrade spindles for various clip less pedals rates them at a 225lb max rating....

How brave are you? Probably less risky to go cromo but you might be fine with Ti...

When I had prerunners my Ti spindles were fine but the Pedal bodies and pins took a beating.. I wish that part was more durable

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'm skeptical of any real upgrades besides visually looking slightly more durable....
A local mag (Gravity magazine) here will be testing them as soon as the snow is gone. I can update you on the results as I'm pretty sure Polish isn't too popular on RM ;)

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Beat on the prerunner ti spindles a fair amount and didnt have any issues that being said Ive bent other axles of various stuff... Tylers got a pretty stout product.... I slammed mine into rocks full speed ahead and kicked the bike abnd me almost 90 degrees to the course and Im 238lbs no issues did a few flats and urban no issues...

Not saying they wont just chiming in from personal experience with his stuff... Good product, chromo isnt too much heavier and may well be worth the added weight for peace of mind...

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Beat on the prerunner ti spindles a fair amount and didnt have any issues that being said Ive bent other axles of various stuff... Tylers got a pretty stout product.... I slammed mine into rocks full speed ahead and kicked the bike abnd me almost 90 degrees to the course and Im 238lbs no issues did a few flats and urban no issues...

Not saying they wont just chiming in from personal experience with his stuff... Good product, chromo isnt too much heavier and may well be worth the added weight for peace of mind...
Thats awesome man!!!!! The Ti's also come in much more ano'd color options over the cromo's. Like I said.....I primarily use the bike for AM/XC and have a second stronger wheelset for some freeriding. If I new I was going to be doing a lot of jumps I could always put my old pedals (Syncros mags) back on for piece of mind. If they held up for a 238 pound rider beating on them DH riding then it sounds like they're pretty tough.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
NRG Dave. Hands down best flat ive ever used.
This isn't for Dh though.....I think I'm going to get some Crampons for the Demo.........This is all about an XC platform more or less. Just wondering how tough ti axles are........seems that they're pretty tough.
I've never heard of NRG........got a link???

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I had the prerunners but ended up running crampons...

Run them on my dh bike and my xc bike (depending on terrain)...love them, if you want thin why not just go with crampons?

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I had the prerunners but ended up running crampons...

Run them on my dh bike and my xc bike (depending on terrain)...love them, if you want thin why not just go with crampons?
I want thin, strong and light for DH in that order of priority. And likely will go with the Crampon for that application (different bike.
For XC/AM.......I want light, thin and strong enough....The prerunner fits that bill quite well.....in ti or cromo.
The crampons are very light for a strong DH pedal, but are 140g's heavier then the prerunner ti-s.....thats a lot of rotating weight especially when your pedaling up hills.

If anybody else has experiences......good or bad with Ti axles I'd like to hear it.

cheers

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I have a set of prerunners on my park bike, and the axles have been good so far, but I'm old and stay close to the ground. The pins haven't fared as well - will probably be replacing those with shorter screws.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I have a set of prerunners on my park bike, and the axles have been good so far, but I'm old and stay close to the ground. The pins haven't fared as well - will probably be replacing those with shorter screws.
Ti or cromo

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Crampons are a better pedal for pedalling period. Prerunners are light and don't feel as planted as the crampon but none the less a light pedal....
I have crqmpons on both bikes im more function oriented now considerably than before....but BLING the prerunners are it and T has a good eye for.design and looks....

Last edited: