Quantcast

Two choices for Sea Otter

paulbug

Chimp
Oct 6, 2004
California
What do you think for racing single speed at Sea Otter:
4-ish inch travel Rock Shox Judy Long travel (2000 model)
or
5 inch travel Fox Vanilla 2002 model, heavier but with LOCKOUT

thanks for the input...anyone out there tried both in a race? That is, both with and without lockout?

paul

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
heck, run rigid- its a smooooooooooooooooooooth course! really, just kidding- ran (still running...hmm) a zokie marathon 100 with the lockout and all was good. only time i used the lockout was for heart attack hill.

other advice: do an anti-rain dance. the soils around there are really clayey (true geologic term) and when it gets muddy, you're in for it- the muck is horrendous...and sticks to EVERYTHING.

ran the beginner SS class two years ago, and it was a blast. I'd think that a gearing ratio question would be more adequate- i was running 34:20 (good for socal) and got outspun by everyone. i'd suggest something closer to 2:1, like the norcalers do.

and remember: have fun! its a killer fun course.

paulbug

Chimp
Oct 6, 2004
California
First, I have to say you guys are soooooo much friendlier than mtbr.com people...maybe they're an older crowd? seems like they're sort of stuck in the mud...
Anyway,I thought about running the fox down to 100 or 80 after i posted it.
I am using 36-18 without a tensioner on a vertical dropout frame.
It's sweet when you find the right gear combo that makes your chain tight that actually works for your terrain.
I think I'll run the fox on the race at 100 or 80...I love the lockout too much.
Anyway, I'll just be out there to have fun, so if I see ya there, wave.
I'll be the guy with curious george on my back.
Paul

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
I rode Sea Otter on an FS bike a few years back and had 80mm front and rear. Was super plush for me. If I race this year it will be rigid. I'd say go with whatever is lightest and has the least travel, the course is smooth and fast.

The Ito

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I would personally never ride a Rock Shox, even on the smoothest course ever. They blow when you look at 'em and they feel like poo.