Quantcast

UCI / Discovery channel

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You new here?

Peurile or not a game played predominantly by actually kicking a ball with your foot IMO deserves the name "football" more than one where 200 men dress up in body armour, spandex and helmets and take turns of handling a ball for 10 second periods before their turn is over and they're replaced by another completely different body shape team mate. and if you watch long enough without falling asleep eventually one who is allowed to actually kick the ball.

For the context of the discussion verification of which ball sport being mentioned is required.
gary did you grow up playing haggis ball?

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Soo, GCN+ is giving out a voucher for three free months of Discovery+, but it has to be redeemed until the end of the year. Thanks but no thanks, I'll think about subscribing on a monthly basis when the time comes.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Soo, GCN+ is giving out a voucher for three free months of Discovery+, but it has to be redeemed until the end of the year. Thanks but no thanks, I'll think about subscribing on a monthly basis when the time comes.
Yeah even my industry apologist ass will be trying to spend as little as possible on them as it seems in the cost cutting times a lot may go to shit.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I didn't get that, but I did get this...No idea what a monthly "Max" subscription costs...

The move to integrate live cycling content on the B/R Sports Add-On on Max follows the closure of the GCN+ service and app on December 19, bringing more sports and entertainment content together in one place.

Max’s B/R Sports Add-On offers exceptional value with a full slate of premium live sports content included such as the MLB, NHL, NBA, NCAA Men’s March Madness, U.S. Soccer, 24 Hours of Le Mans and a variety of non-live sports programming to appeal to every fan.
I paid for GCN because I wanted cycling content. I don't want "MLB, NHL, NBA, NCAA Men’s March Madness, U.S. Soccer, 24 Hours of Le Mans and a variety of non-live sports programming to appeal to every fan"

:/

edit: FTS. It's $10/month for the base "Max" package, then you have to pay another $10/month for the add-on B/R Sports. Eff paying $20/month, GCN was costing me 40 quid a year, ~$50.

:butcher:

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I didn't get that, but I did get this...No idea what a monthly "Max" subscription costs...

I paid for GCN because I wanted cycling content. I don't want "MLB, NHL, NBA, NCAA Men’s March Madness, U.S. Soccer, 24 Hours of Le Mans and a variety of non-live sports programming to appeal to every fan"

:/

edit: FTS. It's $10/month for the base "Max" package, then you have to pay another $10/month for the add-on B/R Sports. Eff paying $20/month, GCN was costing me 40 quid a year, ~$50.

:butcher:
But this is not how you make money in the industry. The ala carte subscription model was never going to make money. Sooner or later we will return to the model of "if you want the thing you want you need to pay for 15 other things you don't give a shit about". It's that or TV an Sports (nor DH but the expensive ones with big stadiums and stuff) dying.

Not that I'm happy about it. DH should have stayed at RB.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
This whole shitshow is his making, from semifinals, subpar announcers, downgraded camera work and onscreen graphics, to 30 rider limit and broadcast rights.
“Growing the sport” means selling a worse product for more money, as there are multiple new layers of corporate middlemen taking their cut.

Now I gotta pay $20 a month for Max’s terrible reality tv (they gutted TCM and high budget originals already) plus a worse bike racing product than RB provided for free.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Well, I got nothing, only an email saying that in 5 days I won't have access anymore to their GCN+ thing.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
The monthly Discovery+ subscription is 5,99€ over here, which is juuust low enough for me to pay the lizards for the privilege of getting screwed by them.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
This whole shitshow is his making, from semifinals, subpar announcers, downgraded camera work and onscreen graphics, to 30 rider limit and broadcast rights.
“Growing the sport” means selling a worse product for more money, as there are multiple new layers of corporate middlemen taking their cut.

Now I gotta pay $20 a month for Max’s terrible reality tv (they gutted TCM and high budget originals already) plus a worse bike racing product than RB provided for free.
fair enough. I guess I was wondering if he'd done something new. Though I wonder if he is more of a "deer in the headlights" in this situation. In that he thought he had a good idea, and thought he could make it work, but was steamrolled by the WB behemoth... who knows, at this point it doesn't matter... and that sucks.
Well, I got nothing, only an email saying that in 5 days I won't have access anymore to their GCN+ thing.
me too. I really wonder how I will be able to watch the racing (to be clear - DH racing) next year. Wonder if we'll be able to pay per view on their website in Canada...?

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
Do we know if you'll be able to watch any replays on YouTube? Love the racing but can't really justify $200+/year for Max plus the sports extra. But totally don't need to watch it live if it will be available somewhere afterwards.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Geez really did get to Warner.
As well as every single one of us who were pulled into dh racing beyond just dumb magazine pics and poorly written recaps.

Warner made dh racing interesting to a lot of people, including me. Not because logo splattered humans temporarily hired to sell bikes are interesting, but because someone who did it, still genuinely cared about it, and could spit absolute fire about it was commentating on freecaster while for the first time ever you could watch the fastest people in the world pinning it for money. At that point in time, my experience with rAcErs was with idiots who rode bikes slowly and pretended they were fast because they paid someone to time them every once in a while.

Firing that dude was the ultimate sign that people got control of the party who didn't know, and didn't give a fuck what riding a bike fast is like. Rob conveyed that because he did it and had no problem transmitting that, half drunk on a broadcast while accidentally creating the single best thing to ever happen to professional dh racing.

I only hope he knows how many people out here give a shit too that he was fired. Because it's bullshit. You're not going to find another one and that dude rules. Anyone with a clue misses warner. I quit watching when it was obvious he was being scripted and then phased out.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
As well as every single one of us who were pulled into dh racing beyond just dumb magazine pics and poorly written recaps.

Warner made dh racing interesting to a lot of people, including me. Not because logo splattered humans temporarily hired to sell bikes are interesting, but because someone who did it, still genuinely cared about it, and could spit absolute fire about it was commentating on freecaster while for the first time ever you could watch the fastest people in the world pinning it for money. At that point in time, my experience with rAcErs was with idiots who rode bikes slowly and pretended they were fast because they paid someone to time them every once in a while.

Firing that dude was the ultimate sign that people got control of the party who didn't know, and didn't give a fuck what riding a bike fast is like. Rob conveyed that because he did it and had no problem transmitting that, half drunk on a broadcast while accidentally creating the single best thing to ever happen to professional dh racing.

I only hope he knows how many people out here give a shit too that he was fired. Because it's bullshit. You're not going to find another one and that dude rules. Anyone with a clue misses warner. I quit watching when it was obvious he was being scripted and then phased out.
in his early days of Freecaster, when he was drunk AF and just yelling into the mic, I really didn't like him. Didn't feel he added much, and didn't feel I could watch the broadcasts with my wife and then kids. But man oh man did he ever grow into the role, for all the reasons you said. I really missed him last year, it was clear that he was such a big part of what made the sport exciting to watch and consume. they really shot themselves in the foot not taking him on....

Tried listening to this as a podcast, but it "couldn't load". not gonna sit there for an hour and a half watching him on youtube, but I'm definitely gonna figure out to listen...

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
listened to it while organizing bike tools and shit that's accumulated in the garage over the past few years...as a recently (1 year) diagnosed adult adhd sufferer, a whole lot of that resonated with me. Watching his growth in his craft and professionalism has been inspiring, he puts in the work and wants to get better, and that's awesome.

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I too have Autism and am ADHD and was not diagnosed until after 50.
This hit very close to home, a little too close at times.
Good on Rob for putting it out there, that was not easy to watch / hear and I can not imagine how hard it was to actually do.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I've been popping in the old Freecaster DVD's. So refreshing. Especially after hearing the Moto/SX dudes (live, like San Diego was last weekend). Not that they're bad. It's just that Warner is that good.

Last edited:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
rc and the nascar faces suuuuuuccckkk

I could listen to james and weege all day
Yeah. Agreed.

Its funny how you listen to broadcasters you actually like. I know plenty of bros that listen to the radio while watching the TV. Only because of who is on the mic. More mainstream sports, but yeah, it's a thing.

I do enjoy Rock Jesus's input. Having listened to many ex NFL players try to be a commentator? As a comparison? AG is good. Like really good. He Seems logical and value inputted. He knows the tracks. Even very specific parts that can catch you up. That's the stuff I want to hear. The dudes who just yell into the mic at what's going on? Not so much. That's when I just put it on mute.

I guess Warner just yelled into the mic, too. But at least it was awesome*

^Awesome being subjective to my analysis and love of the awesomeness :D

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yeah. Agreed.

Its funny how you listen to broadcasters you actually like. I know plenty of bros that listen to the radio while watching the TV. Only because of who is on the mic. More mainstream sports, but yeah, it's a thing.

I do enjoy Rock Jesus's input. Having listened to many ex NFL players try to be a commentator? As a comparison? AG is good. Like really good. He Seems logical and value inputted. He knows the tracks. Even very specific parts that can catch you up. That's the stuff I want to hear. The dudes who just yell into the mic at what's going on? Not so much. That's when I just put it on mute.

I guess Warner just yelled into the mic, too. But at least it was awesome*

^Awesome being subjective to my analysis and love of the awesomeness :D
If you listen to the interview with Rob on Olly's podcast you get that he didn't just yell to the mic. He prepared and knew a ton of shit so he had stuff to say. Generally good sports commentators have to know enough to be passionate about the thing so it's not just "things happening" in front of them. Details need to be interesting. For the same reason, despite my general dislike for the dude outside of commenting, Rogan was a good mma commentator. He knew his shit and noticed details.

The same reason why AG is good. He gives you info interesting to him as usually that's also info interesting to you.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
If you listen to the interview with Rob on Olly's podcast you get that he didn't just yell to the mic. He prepared and knew a ton of shit so he had stuff to say. Generally good sports commentators have to know enough to be passionate about the thing so it's not just "things happening" in front of them. Details need to be interesting. For the same reason, despite my general dislike for the dude outside of commenting, Rogan was a good mma commentator. He knew his shit and noticed details.

The same reason why AG is good. He gives you info interesting to him as usually that's also info interesting to you.
Ummm...yeah. Thanks for the lecture on commentating. I've only played and watched and listened to sports my entire life. Now I know. Thanks :D

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Erm... Have you actually watched the recent ride companion podcast episode with Warner Norbar is talking about?

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006

Yeah,I have never seen such honesty from a Legend(to me),and just put All the cards on the table. I am speaking of the End of UCI. He was crying,a lot. We were Lucky to have our Freecastor and RedBull run. For a long time I thought this will never change. He is Killing It! The only reason I felt so,was it was RedBull with endless monies. I was always greatful to RB for giving me the Race. For free? Usually they would call this a “changing of the guards”,not so in this case. It’s over,along with the fucked up short season to come. We are left with shit,well I am being harsh.

My thoughts go out to the upcoming Studs trying to just race the circuit. The money UCI is charging is for another thread. I am Lucky to have been in this time period Of Rob Warner. How can you not Love that Honesty? I don’t see that very often. The Love of his Fans Kilt him. Man,it would have kilt me! Sorry to ramble.

Last thought. He has tobe In the Hall of Fame.

Avy

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Ummm...yeah. Thanks for the lecture on commentating. I've only played and watched and listened to sports my entire life. Now I know. Thanks :D
I'm not lecturing you on commentating but pointing out your assumption of Warner winging it is wrong and you would know it if you listened to the podcast everyone mentioned.

Also the logic of "I watch sports so I'm a commentary expert. Is bs logic. By that logic everyone who watches films is a movie direction expert".