Quantcast

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Well, Diaz's antics worked good against the cowboy. Cowboy came in to the fight all pissed off and full of adrenaline that first minute and it effed him over for the rest of the fight. He had a bad adrenaline dump. He was exhausted two minutes in to the fight. I wish he would've been smart. It could have been a better fight with him winning. Diaz was smart and sharp though.
Ubereem wasn't worried about Brock at all. Brock was afraid. Those knees looked like they hurt. I can't wait to see Ubereem fight JDS. That's going to be an awesome striking match.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Brock is the worst fighter strategy wise. He was visibly scared by the hype of eating a knee to the face. What is better - to bullrush a double leg against someone with average TDD and risk a knee or try to stand and take down rarely and have a 100% of getting a knee? I actually though that with a bullrush strategy he had a slight upper hand over the Reem but standing? That was more stupid than Tooney in mma. Though Im happy with the fight. Reem gets a title fight and we have a probably very awesome but short (or long and super safe - I hope not) fight.

Also Im very suprised with Cerrone. Adrenaline dump or not Diaz has chicken legs and without the footwork it would have been harder for him to punch him. Why didnt he chop them from the get go? He tried boxing with a superior boxer. Silly.

spam16v

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
Buffalo, NY
Well, Diaz's antics worked good against the cowboy. Cowboy came in to the fight all pissed off and full of adrenaline that first minute and it effed him over for the rest of the fight. He had a bad adrenaline dump. He was exhausted two minutes in to the fight. I wish he would've been smart. It could have been a better fight with him winning. Diaz was smart and sharp though.
Ubereem wasn't worried about Brock at all. Brock was afraid. Those knees looked like they hurt. I can't wait to see Ubereem fight JDS. That's going to be an awesome striking match.
How many times did Diaz get knocked down and never capitalized on it? I was amazed what a beating both of those guys took from each other.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Wasn't really impressed with those fights. The Brock overeem fight was frustrating because I wanted Brock to just rush the dude and pound on him like I know he can... In the end I was glad to see him get kneed. He deserved it after that crap. And wtf on cerrone? He's behind on points, Diaz goes down like 10 times from leg sweeps and cerrone just walks away from it each time... I get that Diaz is good on the ground, but sheez... Take a chance to win for a change.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Maybe Brock was afraid to get choked out by a guillotine. Alistair is pretty good at those. Didn't he try to rush in at first only to get dodged pretty easily? Maybe I'm thinking of a different fight.

I was bugged with Cerrone not jumping in too. He knew he was down on points and still didn't try to finish or even catch up. BUt, Diaz wins tons of fights from the bottom. I wouldn't go to the ground with him even if i was a badass a BJJ.

I've been a fan of Ubereem for a really long time now. I remember seeing him fight in PRIDE back when he was around 19. He had potential back then, but he just kept coming in and gassing out. At least his fights were exciting though. He never hesitated back then. That dude has tons of fights under his belt now. I think it'll be a good slugfest with him and JDS. JDS never takes anybody down. Shouldn't go past the 2nd round.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Wasn't really impressed with those fights. The Brock overeem fight was frustrating because I wanted Brock to just rush the dude and pound on him like I know he can
He's the worst boxer in the UFC... he should have been shooting every time Overeem moved forward at all. Not that I wanted him to win... I didn't, but I'd have liked it to be a little more of a fight.
Lesnar may be able to rush in and over power smaller guys but Overeem was HUGE in this fight.

I don't know if you guys wrestle but the biggest part of getting a take down is the timing. You need to have an opening. Overeem wasn't giving any openings.

Just look at his hand position. His hands were low with elbows close to his body. This is not his normal Dutch Kickboxing stance this is a defense against the take down. Essentially, he defended all of Lesnar's striking with head movement and footwork leaving his hands to be constantly ready for the shot.

I have never seen a fight in which someone disregards their opponent's striking that blatantly. Overeem had a great strategy and that's why he won, not because of a lack takedown/bumrush attempts by Lesnar.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
To his credit, he was well prepared and did stuff a take down. But I think Brock checked out early. Overeem only had to stuff ONE takedown. He was too busy worrying about getting hit.
I do agree that Lesnar didn't have his head in the fight. I guess when you have retirement in the back of your mind it can mess with you.

What i'm saying though, is that more takedown attempts does not equal a better outcome for Lesnar. Shooting in on a guy like Overeem without an opening is a horrible idea. He would be inviting some devastating knees or a nasty guillotine.

He was a big body and a top level athlete at a time when the HW division was very weak, that's why he was successfull. Personally I'm glad to see him go. The less the UFC has in common with the WWE the better.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
What i'm saying though, is that more takedown attempts does not equal a better outcome for Lesnar. Shooting in on a guy like Overeem without an opening is a horrible idea. He would be inviting some devastating knees or a nasty guillotine.
Actually not shooting on a guy like Overeem is a horrible idea. What was he to do? Stand with the K-1 HW champion while he himself has very basic standup? Again even if the chance of a knee + a guilottine was 50% it is still lower than 100%. I would have literary. Plus even with good body position Reems TDD has not been really tested by any top level wrestler and he had issues with it in the past. What in your right mind would make you suggest not going for the double every 5 seconds? It is not like the fight could have been more one sided.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Yeah, Lesnar checked out early. You could see it in his face. He was afraid as soon as he tried his one take-down. He lost all of his confidence. Not to mention, he's a wuss compared to the rest of those guys that fight. MOst of them would tough through those first few knees. You could tell they hurt him and he didn't like it at all. That dude can't handle getting hit with anything compared to the rest of the fighters.

I'm glad he's going almost as fast as he came into the sport. He was only good at the time because of how much bigger he was. Now, those guys have figured out how to fight him since size isn't everything anymore. I'm really interested to see how Alistair is going to shake up that whole weight class. The title fight should be a good standup war. But, if Ubereem doesn't win by the second round, JDS is going to demolish him.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
Excited to see Sonnen v Bisping. I hope bisping wins so he can go up against Anderson. I think Anderson will completely dismantle the standup game that Bisping is so proud of.
I'm actually going for sonnen over bisping because I'd like to see a rematch of sonnen v silva . I know sonnen was on the juice the first time they fought but he has been pretty much the only one to almost beat silva .

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I know sonnen was on the juice the first time they fought but he has been pretty much the only one to almost beat silva .
After seeing that fight, I have a hard time thinking that Sonnen was anywhere close to beating Silva outside of Silva not taking the fight very seriously at all. Chael is a local cat with a ton of skill, don't get me wrong. But I think Silva had money on it or something that he had to wait until the 5th round.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
After seeing that fight, I have a hard time thinking that Sonnen was anywhere close to beating Silva outside of Silva not taking the fight very seriously at all. Chael is a local cat with a ton of skill, don't get me wrong. But I think Silva had money on it or something that he had to wait until the 5th round.
lol

The fight was legit. Sonnen is a good wrestler with great sub defense. He is a pro at getting guys down and then sitting on them. Just look at his matches with Paulo Filho.

Sonnen wins by overpowering his opponents, but that probably had something to do with the roids.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Sonnen is going to lay on Bisping and wear him out the whole time. Bisping doesn't have good enough wrestling to counter Chael's wrestling. It'll be nice when Chael wins. He'll win, then he'll talk tons of sh!t about Silva, then Silva is going to use him as an example of how badly he can beat someone. He's going to make a spectacle of Chael by making it really painful. Maybe as bad as when he beat Franklin before.

Chael doesn't have good sub defense. Maia caught him in the same sub. I read somewhere that he usually loses by sub because his defense sucks. He's a wide open target because he just sits around in the guard all night long.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Sonnen also looses by overpowering his opponents. Say what ever you want about how the fight went. At the end of the night, the same dude had his hand raised and the other had to give up.
I agree that Sonnen is a tool and his game has weaknesses. I definitely disagree with what Jimmydean said though.

Sonnen is going to lay on Bisping and wear him out the whole time. Bisping doesn't have good enough wrestling to counter Chael's wrestling.
I have a bad feeling that this will be how it goes down.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I think Sonnen will win but the perfect scenario would be Bisping winning so he can get beaten by Anderson and Sonnen looses so he can have his leg ripped off my Palhares.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Oh man, i'd love to see Paul Harris rip Chael's leg off. That would be an interesting fight. I just wish Munoz could've fought Chael. It would've made a more interesting fight to see him beat the sh!t out of Chael. I like Munoz. That dude is getting good fast. He's also way aggressive and has some of the best ground and pound.

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
also need to remember that Silva entered that fight with broken ribs, and also wanted to finish the fight with a sub. Sonnen had talked smack about the Nog black belts, and silva wanted to prove a point. The next time they meet, that point will not need to be made. they are thinking of having the rematch in a soccer stadium in Brazil. I have a feeling that is a very bad idea.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I just want to see ANYONE beat Silva. Chael isn't the most entertaining, nor is he the nicest guy. But I'd still root got him over Silva

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Why? Silva is a bit overconfident but he likes Burgers, is a nerd and does awesome matrix moves. How can you not like him?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Silva is a dick, but the dude has game. Chael I would say is one of the top wrestlers in the UFC, seriously. Dude is a local hero, but NCAA wrestling is no match for a black belt from Brazil. People seem to forget just how bad ass Silva is on the ground because he drops dudes standing long before he gets there.

I just want to see Silva move to 205 where someone like Jones might test his chin. If he can hit the bastard. :rofl:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
But if he hits him one time...

I just think it will take a freak of nature like Jones to beat Silva. Long reach with crazy fast hands packing huge power. I don't think Silva's chin has been tested in a while and i don't see anyone at 185 beating him. He was supposed to move up last year.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I've thought about that fight for a while now. I think the only way Jones could beat Silva would be if he could grab him. Silva's speed is one of his biggest advantages. He can move and hit while he's going backward. Plus, he's got silly knockout power and the best accuracy in MMA. Jones is another bada$$ in his own realm, but for different reasons. He has the killer reach, the killer strength, and the killer wrestling with subs. THe only way he's beating people is when he grabs them. I don't know if he'd be able to grab SIlva because Silva would make sure it wouldn't happen, just like when he fought Maia. If Chael and Silva fight again, Silva will make sure he avoids the take-downs.
You guys should read the garbage that Sonnen is saying these days. He acts like there's a conspiracy keeping him and Silva from fighting. He did that last time too though.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Silva is a dick, but the dude has game. Chael I would say is one of the top wrestlers in the UFC, seriously. Dude is a local hero, but NCAA wrestling is no match for a black belt from Brazil. People seem to forget just how bad ass Silva is on the ground because he drops dudes standing long before he gets there.

I just want to see Silva move to 205 where someone like Jones might test his chin. If he can hit the bastard. :rofl:
And Chael isn't a dick? Seriously it's like replacing Bush senior with junior.

As for Jones vs Silva he has one way I belive he can beat anyone without amazing TDD. Elbows from guard. Machida was also tough as hell to hit on the ground but eat some elbow sushi and the fight was done. Jones reach and height gives him idiotic advantage here. He could have had no striking and with that level of takedowns and his size he would have pulverised anyone anyway.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
It would be an interesting fight, probably the most interesting fight in my opinion. I am a Silva fan, so I'd have to say that he would be able to stay away from Jones and drop him with one of his magic moves. We'll never find out though. That kinda sucks.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Speaking of old gracie memories. Does anybody remember back on new years of 1995 going into 1996, there was a fight night on payper view and one of the undercards was on and some dude got kicked hard and they cut transmission and you couldn't watch the rest of the fights. Does anyone remember what happened and who was fighting? Trivia against the girlfriend.