Quantcast

Uh oh, the "pot smokers never hurt anyone" arguement shot

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
binary visions said:
This discussion will quickly be moved to the political forum, I imagine.
Moved to the political forum, or deleted outright if the personal attacks keep up.

Calling someone ignorant because they have a different view... interesting.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BMXman said:
vs. other more healthy ways
Ahh, you mean like flinging yourself down a rocky embankment, with nothing but thirty pounds of metal and rubber between you and and the ground? :D

Ahh well.. We all make our own choices.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Echo said:
Calling someone ignorant because they have a different view... interesting.
Um, I didn't call him ignorant because he had a different view. I said a blanket statement on why everyone uses pot is an ignorant statement, simply because he cannot know why everyone uses it, or what experiences they've had with it.

What if I said that everyone who rides bikes does it simply because they have nothing else in their life that is exciting? Isn't that ignorant? I can't possibly know why anyone outside of my personal acquaintences rides their bike.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
BMXman said:
I don't claim to know why everyone uses pot...all I'm saying is pot is harmful to the body so why someone would chose it as a means of making themselves feel good vs. other more healthy ways seems illogical to me...D
So you do nothing at all unhealthy that feels good? Nothing? :confused:

You must be a better man than I. If I only did fun things based upon a strict assessment of their relative healthiness, I'd be a hamster in the wheel living a pretty boring life.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
BMXman said:
I don't claim to know why everyone uses pot...all I'm saying is pot is harmful to the body so why someone would chose it as a means of making themselves feel good vs. other more healthy ways seems illogical to me...D
Very respectable. Some people treat the body as a temple, i treat mine more like a circus(cue circus music) :thumb:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
binary visions said:
Um, I didn't call him ignorant because he had a different view. I said a blanket statement on why everyone uses pot is an ignorant statement, simply because he cannot know why everyone uses it, or what experiences they've had with it.
First of all, you weren't even the one who made the original "ignorant" comment. Why do you feel the need to perpetuate a weak argument that doesn't even involve you? And second of all, he's entitled to state his opinions here without being called ignorant. Even if you don't like it.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
BMXman said:
I say if people want to smoke pot let them...one day they will learn to look inside themselves for solutions to whatever issues they're facing.....D

"ignorantly puports"?...you have no idea of my knowledge on the subject...so please stick to what you know....and again why a person can't feel incredible without the aid of pot is an "issue"....D

OK... Yes, some people can't feel incredible w/o it, and yes.. that is an issue.
You make it sound like EVERYONE is that way though.

Know what... forget it. You feel the same way about beer, cigarettes, and probably meat and anything non organic.
That doesn't mean that you are any more "right" than anyone else though (myself included), or that anyone else is more "right" than you.
It is all just personal opinion.

Here is the one crucial point though. The person with the problem is the one that judges the other.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
-BB- said:
Here is the one crucial point though. The person with the problem is the one that judges the other.
while i agree with you on the brunt of the issue, the above statement is clearly not true all the time.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Echo said:
Why do you feel the need to perpetuate a weak argument that doesn't even involve you?
...probably for the same reason you felt the need to jump in to this discussion in the first place. I had something to say, and I said it.

And second of all, he's entitled to state his opinions here without being called ignorant. Even if you don't like it.
Okay, let's make a distinction here. I did not call him ignorant. I said his statement was ignorant, and explained the rationale behind my claim. This is not a personal attack. It was not intended to belittle or demean him. I am a very opinionated person - clearly, so is he. I stated my opinion in the same strong manner that he stated his, and just as he is allowed to state his opinion, I should be allowed to state mine. A personal attack would have been, "Shut up, you're ignorant."

BMXman, if you took my statement as a personal affront or feel that I insulted you, I apologize - I had no intention of doing so.

There are lots of people on this site with strong feelings on every topic imaginable. That means you have to have pretty thick skin to stick around and discuss them. I would hope that people wouldn't take to heart everything that is said here, and given the many discussions (especially about vegetarianism) that BMXman has participated in, I am pretty sure he doesn't take to heart very much of what gets argued about in this forum.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Toshi said:
while i agree with you on the brunt of the issue, the above statement is clearly not true all the time.
of course not... It is just making a point.

I'm just saying that the smokers don't judge him, so why does he have to judge them. Along Donnie's line of thinking, living in SoCal is "bad" because you are knowingly exposing yourself to nasty smog that hurts your body and thus, people that knowingly do that "have issues".

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
binary visions said:
...probably for the same reason you felt the need to jump in to this discussion in the first place. I had something to say, and I said it.
Actually I prefer to avoid these pot smoker - vs. - non pot-smoker arguements. They all end up the same, and if you put them all next to each other you probably wouldn't be able to tell them apart. The same people say the same things in every thread.

Explain to me how "as BMXman ignorantly purports" isn't inflammatory? If one wishes to engage in a meaningful adult discussion, it's a good idea to not start throwing grade school insults around.

Actually though, we're all a bunch of suckers, because the only reason Damn True started this thread was so he could watch this all happen again :p

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Echo said:
Actually I prefer to avoid these pot smoker - vs. - non pot-smoker arguements. They all end up the same, and if you put them all next to each other you probably wouldn't be able to tell them apart. The same people say the same things in every thread.

<>

Actually though, we're all a bunch of suckers, because the only reason Damn True started this thread was so he could watch this all happen again :p
You might note that although much of my argument is the same, I always try to impart a little new knowledge to the people, e.g. specific information about particular breeds kinda like RM's JV version of "Ask Ed". :cool:

Yes, I also noticed that after farting in the break room, DT made a quiet getaway before eyebrows hit hairlines. :mumble:

Batman

Monkey
May 20, 2002
Mississauga
Echo said:
Explain to me how "as BMXman ignorantly purports" isn't inflammatory? .... throwing grade school insults around.

I'll be VERY impressed if you find me a grade-schooler who uses "ignorantly purports" as an insult :p

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Echo said:
First of all, you weren't even the one who made the original "ignorant" comment. Why do you feel the need to perpetuate a weak argument that doesn't even involve you? And second of all, he's entitled to state his opinions here without being called ignorant. Even if you don't like it.
moooom... he started it!!!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
-BB- said:
of course not... It is just making a point.

I'm just saying that the smokers don't judge him, so why does he have to judge them.
... because some things are just bad and deserved to be judged. :D again, i have no beef with lazy pot smokers who live in their parents' basements, but i think it is correct and defensible to, say, judge heroin addicts.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Echo said:
argh...I have been had again...Damn True!;)