Quantcast

UHGGHHH, What has happened to American Beer!!

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
I like strong tasting beers. Becks, Newcastle, Doseques Amber, Guiness, and a few others with a bit of taste. I am fond of Porters and stouts and dark ales. Most however are a bit too strong tasting for me to actually drink more than 2 or 3 at a sitting. After Shying away from mass produced American Beers some time ago I wanted to take the stress off and get a less than intelegent drunk on this weekend. I went to the store and picked up a case of Bud select. Now years ago when I stopped with the mass produced beer it wasnt that bad, just not what I was looking for. This stuff was absolute crap!! The only select thing about it is am I going to select to give it away or select to use it for target practice. A couple days later I bought a Regular bud in a resturant. They must have changed the recipe. It was like drinking dirty water. What has happened to Americas taste in brew? HAve we evolved to the point of yellow alcaholic water?? I guess I will stick to imports and Micros and keep the hard stuff for those couple time a year drunks.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Micros aren't "American Beer"? The big companies have always made crap, nothing has changed. Be happy we have developed such a quality and diverse craft brew industry in this country. Plenty of great breweries in the US now.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeah, mass-produced cheap beer seems to be the same as ever - namely, really bad for the most part. For some reason I can enjoy a few Pacificos or tecates now and then but otherwise I would rather be sober than drink cheap swill.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
Not my intention to offend Micros or american made small batchers. When refering to American Beers I ment the mass produced stuff. This due to multi million dollar advertising budgets is what the world sees as American Beer.
Next question. Budweiser used to be all about beech wood aged, now it is, get it within 24 hours of being "born". Am I missing somthing? I started drinking beer in the late 70's and believe me, recepies have changed since then as well. yes I am OLD!!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
teamkranzelbike said:
I like strong tasting beers. Becks, Newcastle, Doseques Amber, Guiness, and a few others with a bit of taste. I am fond of Porters and stouts and dark ales. Most however are a bit too strong tasting for me to actually drink more than 2 or 3 at a sitting. After Shying away from mass produced American Beers some time ago I wanted to take the stress off and get a less than intelegent drunk on this weekend. I went to the store and picked up a case of Bud select. Now years ago when I stopped with the mass produced beer it wasnt that bad, just not what I was looking for. This stuff was absolute crap!! The only select thing about it is am I going to select to give it away or select to use it for target practice. A couple days later I bought a Regular bud in a resturant. They must have changed the recipe. It was like drinking dirty water. What has happened to Americas taste in brew? HAve we evolved to the point of yellow alcaholic water?? I guess I will stick to imports and Micros and keep the hard stuff for those couple time a year drunks.
I would venture to say that it isn't the beers taste that has changed, rather it is YOUR tastes that have changed.
SkaredShtles said:
Maybe this will get me my old custom title back............... :think:
Not a chance, princess! :p :rofl:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
N8, Tenchi, SS, Laura - You're all WRONG. About Becks anyway... I don't like Newcastle much...

I agree there are a lot of great US microbrews, and the vast majority of US mainstream beer sucks diseased fatman cock.