Quantcast

Um, is this just more marketing hype or some such nonsense?

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
First we get 24 inch wheels. Ok, I understand. Great for smaller riders and throwing the bike around bmx-style.

But now I hear this talk of 29 inch wheels. I'm sure they've been out for awhile, but what gives?

I feel out of the loop and I don't understand the intended purpose. Trials maybe? Super tall riders? Those that want to look especially geeky? Someone please fill me in.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
They're supposed to roll better (normal force when hitting a sharp edged obstacle will be more vertical/less horizontal as compared to that of a smaller wheel, so the bike isn't slowed down as much). They wouldn't be good for trials or freeride/dh because they're weaker for the same weight, or even for the same construction (same type of rim, just larger, etc.). For some people, they might be great, but I wasn't aware of anyone crying about how slow 26" wheels are, especially with suspension...

R

RideMonkey

Just dumb. Leave it to Gary Fisher to create another product that doesnt use standard parts. Remember the 1.25 inch headset? And his bars with a larger bulge that required a different stem? Booo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by spincrazy
First we get 24 inch wheels. Ok, I understand. Great for smaller riders and throwing the bike around bmx-style.

But now I hear this talk of 29 inch wheels. I'm sure they've been out for awhile, but what gives?

I feel out of the loop and I don't understand the intended purpose. Trials maybe? Super tall riders? Those that want to look especially geeky? Someone please fill me in.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by Toshi
For some people, they might be great, but I wasn't aware of anyone crying about how slow 26" wheels are, especially with suspension...
Amen to that.

So, not good for freeriding or trials because they're weaker - definately not downhill. XC? Me thinks not unless you only ride smooth, dirt-paved trails. Still sounds pretty silly all in all.

They've got to weigh more too being that they're bigger......

I guess we wouldn't have anything to discuss if that's what all bikes came with initially. Suppose that was the size they chose for all mountain bikes and 26 " were the odd man out?

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by ridemonkey
Just dumb. Leave it to Gary Fisher to create another product that doesnt use standard parts. Remember the 1.25 inch headset? And his bars with a larger bulge that required a different stem? Booo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought you had work to do?

I know, it's a shimano type tactic. New cranks? new bottom bracket. New pedals? new cleats. Say it's better, make it different, get the consumer to buy again, and again. 9spd anyone?

8spds good for me. Besides, less maintenance, works better and I essentially have the same gearing with my cassette set-up.

R

RideMonkey

Originally posted by spincrazy

I thought you had work to do?
Bah you guys are gonna put me out on the street. Quit posting interesting stuff so I can get some work done! :angryfire :angryfire

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
He must have been a lightweight guy, really smooth, or the course was really smooth eh Tone?

Although, you could give up the lightweightness and make a fairly strong wheel if it really rolled that much faster.

Bigger wheels are why I can't hang top speed with the road bikes; that and higher gearing.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
I think I'd get scared being that high in the air! I mean vertigo on trail claims more cyclists than rabid chipmunks each year as it is! :eek: Seriously though, I've been reading about them in the mags for a bit now, and never once have I even been tempted to consider trying them out...I gotta wonder what hauling a rig with those wheels on it up to speed from a standing start would be like? Arrrgg!:rolleyes:

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Sounds like goofy crap to me. I would probably have a problem with a big wheeled bike as I ride small bikes. Plus you have really decreased selection of tires and forks. I can understand the theory of why a larger diameter wheel rolls better, but really, how much better.