Quantcast

Underground Urban city DH/Freeride Race. Sound cool?

May 13, 2008
The Bay.
So I have been thinking lately of setting up a underground invite open class jam/race.

What do you guys think of the following ideas:

Race is a open course open navigation and "unprotected from traffic,bystanders etc."Ie no tape no rules...

But there would be points on the map you need to hit how you get to these points is up to you.
The points would be marshalled and made sure the "obstacle is hit" and it would be marked somehow.

It may be a stair set or maybe a drop wallride etc...

I have alot more ideas but this is the basic premise.
Location details etc are to be discussed.
One problem my friends say is people to many and cops will be on to it and bugging.

So one idea is the same course for a month and have 2 races per week and stagger people out.

I have done some other whack events with success and think this one could be done as well.

This would be small time and for fun only.
No cash just whacky awards and fun.

Any comments?

East Bay Rich

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
WC CA
you could also incorporate a parking garage as the start ; )

That was done in my town and it was a big hit (8989)...

(note to self... I should've followed the pack the entire race, there was at least one washout in the turns)

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I am into the idea of it...

Something that might make or break it for me would be location.

I also think 1 race per month might work out better because of other race schedules etc.

Sounds like it could be fun.

I can actually think of an area in santa cruz that could work for part of the course (it has stair drops/gaps) starting from 1/mission and moving toward downtown. Everyone ok with a little pedaling?

May 13, 2008
The Bay.
cool you guys are getting the idea.....

Heckler it would be one race a month but 2 runs per week to qualify your time. At the end of the month the fastest time is the winner for that course.

But yeah throw down ideas this is a public event.....

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Yea this sounds like fun , i had an idea of doing a race similer to this in downtown S.F. I know a few really good spots that all sorta link together in one giant downhill street run .

As you said set up " judges" who sorta apear to be bystanders or heck have some of them dress up like bums and post up , then have a genral map and a few spotters to help guide the rides along the corse , Traffic , pedestrians , "real" bums all count for extra bounas points ect .

If you need help shoot me a PM i'm totally down! and have some of the route already mapped out

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
There called alleycats, messengers do them all the time around the city.
Sounds cool. Just be careful. Messenger don't usually have houses and paycheck jobs that motivate people to sue in the case of an unfortunage circumstance.

Which is adult problem number 2, can you guarantee no kid or pedstrian will get onto the course??

Damn, I am getting old. Just stuff I'm glad people told me to think about. But if there's not money involved and the course is safe, it's usuall fun.

May 13, 2008
The Bay.
So yeah pedestrians,cars etc are all part of obstacles on the course.
I mean going point to point you will have to break some rules I am sure.
But thats why it is underground and low key.......

I am trying to get more input on how to do it.
Timed run or a full blown mass start?
Remember this is a race but it will be at night and the only prize will probably not getting harrassed by police.
But I do want it to be fun.

Should we have designated "hits" on course? Or leave it open to navigation skills?

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
So yeah pedestrians,cars etc are all part of obstacles on the course.
I mean going point to point you will have to break some rules I am sure.
But thats why it is underground and low key.......

I am trying to get more input on how to do it.
Timed run or a full blown mass start?
Remember this is a race but it will be at night and the only prize will probably not getting harrassed by police.
But I do want it to be fun.

Should we have designated "hits" on course? Or leave it open to navigation skills?
A city DH/Street race would be really fun .

Timed and judged runs , so each rider would have to race against the clock as well as worry about cars , street people , traffic the cops ect wile also have to navigate a course and hit street spots with fluid style along the way linking everything into a giant run.
Then you have "judges" on course to score each rider at some of the more major street spots ( not telling the riders who the judges are and were they are is key here )
If you havd your peeps set up on course then a stating poit and a finish line set up this could be really fun !

You could start someplace around either Upper Height hen run the riders down Filmoore throught the ghetto past the towers , up throught Japan Town on Post then Across Vaness to California past the Fedral building ( big bounas points for hitting the building , or even extra points for a couryard run throught) then down throught the civic center over to market down market to the enbarcadaro with the finish line someplace around there !

These could end up being 15-30min + runs with a TON of street stuff along the way . I also know a few shops who might be down to sponsor the event if we ran the course past there shops .

GuruAtma

Chimp
Mar 8, 2006
A way to make it easier is to do it like the SilentQ on bikemonkey. You give the course, and people do it whenever they want, keeping track of their own time. They then post their results here (or somewhere). It requires a lot of honesty, but it's a lot easier to set up.