unusual sound..

mnmacd

Chimp
Jun 18, 2011
bangor,ME
I hear and feel an odd vibration from the front half of my bike now:eek:
It is a D-Back response.

Is this a normal sound ?
Is it safe to ride in this condition?,if not how is it fixed?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
well, if this is a serious post - have you checked every bolt and fastener on your bike? Is that vibration occurring when you coast? or brake? Provide some more information if you'd like anyone's opinion, or take it to your shop and ask them to inspect the bike.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
Sounds like an issue with the upper fork nut. Here's what you'll need to do- open the internal headset cuff (requires disassembling the steering column, so if you're not familiar with that, take it to a real shop - not Dick's.). Turn the adjustment screw 1/4-1/2 turn counter clockwise (this relieves pressure on the bearing linkage), check grease color (should be a clean black, if it's gray, squirt more in there), reassemble, and you should be good to go.

Common problem with Responses, there's usually a few loose screws behind the handlebar on those things. If you do need to bring it to a shop, get your chainrings rotated while you're there.

Last edited:

mnmacd

Chimp
Jun 18, 2011
bangor,ME
Ty Smelly, very helpful... I bought the bike from Dick's, is there something I should know about them? I'll take a look at the steering column see if anything's amiss.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Could be fork spring stretch. I had fork spring stretch on a Rock Shox Psylo and I couldn't find any traction with the front end as a result. The shop should be able to mesure the spring to see if it is stretched.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I thought people were being a tad cruel but after seeing your other threads I really think you should buy a transportation device that isn't user serviceable, maybe a Segway?

Please take your bike to a store to get it sorted.

mnmacd

Chimp
Jun 18, 2011
bangor,ME
well, if this is a serious post - have you checked every bolt and fastener on your bike? Is that vibration occurring when you coast? or brake? Provide some more information if you'd like anyone's opinion, or take it to your shop and ask them to inspect the bike.

I re-tightened everything as you suggested, still makes noise... I'll haul it in to a shop..

mnmacd

Chimp
Jun 18, 2011
bangor,ME
After hours reading about cross chaining. I don't believe I have cross chained, as I have never removed it.. If I bought it that way, I wouldn't know.. How do I know what a "strait" chain should look like on a 21 speed bike.

mnmacd

Chimp
Jun 18, 2011
bangor,ME
It turns out Dick's does indeed suck at bike repair. I took my bike in for it's 1 year tune up, it was free with the warranty... I made them a list of issues they needed to look at, came back a week later to find out they adjusted what was on the list and ruined everything else, what ass hats, that is the last time I service that bike there....