Quantcast

Upgrading my hardtail

rye

Chimp
Oct 8, 2003
San Jose, Ca
Hey,

I'm upgrading my old hardtail, I haven't riden much in the past 11 years and need a few sugestions. So far I've taken care of the pedals (Bontrager), crank and BB (Bontrager RL), headset (Chris King), and front derailleur (XT). but I need some help picking a Fork, and brake set. I'm a little tight on cash but do have some room to play with...

I was looking at this fork http://pricepoint.com/product1727.html, cause it's on sale and it goes down to 63mm (what my old skool frame was made for) but I haven't heard any reviews. The price is right, but I can go as high as $300 if I can find something nicer.

I'm also looking to upgrade my brakes. I can't go disk, my frame is too old (read no rear mounts) but I was thinking about hydrolic v-brakes, or just upgrading my Avids to the high end model but I wanted to hear what you guys think.

Thanks in advance

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by rye

I'm also looking to upgrade my brakes. I can't go disk, my frame is too old (read no rear mounts) but I was thinking about hydrolic v-brakes, or just upgrading my Avids to the high end model but I wanted to hear what you guys think.

Thanks in advance
You will have disk mounts on your new fork - get an Avid 6" mech and a new wheel. I have had Avid V's and XTs Vs... I see no reason to upgrade the Avids unless they are canties. Hydro Vs are a waste of time, the small Avid will be just dandy once you get the feel of the front and rear difference.

EDIT: I think that fork will be fine.

RITFreeRider

Monkey
Sep 10, 2003
In a Boulderado state of mind
That fork should be just fine. I've ridden a couple and they're not that bad. As far as brakes just go with any avid v-brake. I've ridden magura hs-33's and they have a lot of power but I didn't like the hassel of taking the brake off to take the tire off. A good set of v's and nice levers will work great for you. If you want more power you can put some high friction pads in the v's. I used to have the Avid ultimate levers and the matchin v's and there was plenty of power, so I think they will work perfect for you. Hope this helps and keep on riding!

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
thats a good fork, and good thinking with going for a fork which will match your bikes geometry, the avid discs are great, I run them front and rear....even ridden the fon with a V brake at the rear and work well together, the fron is the one that stops you after all.

rye

Chimp
Oct 8, 2003
San Jose, Ca
Sweet, thanks for the help guys.

I'm going to look in to using a disk on the front wheel, should be do able. I'll order that fork a week from today (payday).

I just got my King Headset in the mail today, my crank and BB should be here Monday. I'm going to order the brakes next month....

The plan is strip my bike on Monday night the 20th to take it to the Powercoaters on the 21st. I'll get it back and take it to my LBS to install the headset and BB on Friday the 24th (gonna take the day off work), finish building it up that day at home (I'll take and post some pics then) and RIDE LIKE HELL on saturday the 25th :)

rye

Chimp
Oct 8, 2003
San Jose, Ca
Oh Yeah, I'm so happy!!! I took her out to UCSC on some single track this weekend, she's riding like a dream already and I'm not even done yet :)

This is what I've upgraded so far

Powder Coat and Stickers
Chris King Head Set
Bontrager Crank/TruVativ ISIS BB
XT Front Derailleur
and a Rock Shox '04 Duke SL U-Turn

My friend has a digital camera and will take some pics for me tomorrow night I'll post 'em up soon.

Next round of upgrades includes
Bontrager Race Wheel Set and Bontrager Jones AC Tires
Shimano XT 9 Speed Upgrade with the new XT Shift/Brake Combo and rear derailleur
and Avid Brakes

I can't wait!!!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by rye

Next round of upgrades includes
Bontrager Race Wheel Set and Bontrager Jones AC Tires
You might want to seek a second opinion on the Bontrager Jones deals. I had them - they were grippy enough but had a tendancy to flat - sometimes two or three times a week. I could never figure it out and always assumed it was the way I installed the tubes... eventually I swapped the tires for some winter tread and the flats stopped. I have a variety of tires now and NONE of them ever go flat as often as the Bontragers did.