Quantcast

Upstate NY foods...

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
I know about the ones that are from the Syracuse/Rochester/Buffalo area but haven't heard of most of the others.

It says to get Buffalo Wings from Anchor Bar?!? It may be where they originated but everyone knows Duff's is the best Buffalo Wings.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I haven't read the articles yet but I'm guessing Chicken Riggies and Half Moons (or are they called Black n Whites?) are on there. Maybe even just 'Greens' ?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I haven't read the articles yet but I'm guessing Chicken Riggies and Half Moons (or are they called Black n Whites?) are on there. Maybe even just 'Greens' ?
2/3 not bad.

Forgot about Tomato Pie. Didn't realize Beef on Weck and Salt Potatoes area an Upstate NY thing... intradasting.

Half Moons should really be on this list, IMHO.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
It's kinda crazy to me that this year marks the 100th year anniversary of the Garbage Plate. Mmm... just thinking of one makes my mouth drool. :drool:

However, it should be noted that it is not a good idea to eat one the night before riding. It makes for some fairly untrustworthy farts. :o

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
It's kinda crazy to me that this year marks the 100th year anniversary of the Garbage Plate. Mmm... just thinking of one makes my mouth drool. :drool:

However, it should be noted that it is not a good idea to eat one the night before riding. It makes for some fairly untrustworthy farts. :o
Something happened to the Hot Sauce at Nick Tahous. They cinched out on the Mac Salad also. The burgers are smaller and of poor quality.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
Something happened to the Hot Sauce at Nick Tahous. They cinched out on the Mac Salad also. The burgers are smaller and of poor quality.
Yeah, plus Tahous always under cooks the potatoes. My favorite places for plates are Harbor Hots, Henrietta Hots, and Empire Hots.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah, plus Tahous always under cooks the potatoes. My favorite places for plates are Harbor Hots, Henrietta Hots, and Empire Hots.
henrietta hots was one of the better ones (and close to campus for me). one time i got there like 10 minutes before closing and the dude that worked there loaded my plate up instead of throwing the food out. 4 burger patties, and as much mac salad and home fries as the styrofoam could hold. it would barely shut. epic.

schalers makes a good plate too, their sauce is good.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
henrietta hots was one of the better ones (and close to campus for me). one time i got there like 10 minutes before closing and the dude that worked there loaded my plate up instead of throwing the food out. 4 burger patties, and as much mac salad and home fries as the styrofoam could hold. it would barely shut. epic.

schalers makes a good plate too, their sauce is good.
I like Marks when I am wasted. I live right around the corner. Henrietta hots is good also. I get extra mac salad when I go there.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I was going to ask about that. I figured it is similar to the Anchor Bar with chicken wings, they are the original but not the best.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
One that didn't make the list, the Haystack from the Silo in Lewiston, NY. We were in Lewiston a few months ago to take a jet boat ride up the lower Niagara river so I decided to try one, it was amazing!!!I After reading reviews that were not so great and looking at pictures that do not do it justice I set me expectations pretty low, I was blown away.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I was going to ask about that. I figured it is similar to the Anchor Bar with chicken wings, they are the original but not the best.
My Dad always claimed that the Anchor bar didn't invent wings. He said that in the fifties you could go to a place on Clinton called Wings and Things near the original Bocci club in the first ward. My Uncle seems to back this up, except he remembers it being on Williams street near the bottom of Jefferson.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Another one that didn't make the list is Luna (pizza). Like a deep dish with a crust on top like a pie.
I have only ever gotten then in North Syracuse, anyone else heard of these?
They are delicious.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Another one that didn't make the list is Luna (pizza). Like a deep dish with a crust on top like a pie.
I have only ever gotten then in North Syracuse, anyone else heard of these?
They are delicious.
Syracuse is all about Barbecue. The original Dinosaur Barbecue is in North Syracuse. It is awesome by any measure.