Quantcast

Urban mtb Freeriding????

sonic rbz

Chimp
Aug 24, 2004
FL
just moved here and am in La mesa with a friend until I can find a place in North County area. I ride a lot and surf and don't know anyone who does around here. Are there any group urban, xc, or shop rides in the area.
Thanks
Ben

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
There's a shop in La Mesa right next to SDSU (maybe college cyclery???) that does rides every thurs. I've never gone with them but I know a guy who says the rides are fun. Also Bicycle Warehouse just off the 5 does rides a couple times a week but I've never ridden with them and don't know anybody who does. I ride with a group that does Anderson every wednesday, it's a long grinding climb with a gnarly descent, a couple of good drops and jumps, it takes some skill to make it down the big lines but there are go arounds for all the stuff that may or may not be over your head. PM or email me at kornphlake79@yahoo.com for more details.

bfranke

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
San Diego
Kornphlake said:
I ride with a group that does Anderson every wednesday, it's a long grinding climb with a gnarly descent, a couple of good drops and jumps, it takes some skill to make it down the big lines but there are go arounds for all the stuff that may or may not be over your head. PM or email me at kornphlake79@yahoo.com for more details.

Is Anderson back to life after the fires? What about World Cup?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
bfranke said:
Is Anderson back to life after the fires? What about World Cup?
dunno... I didn't move back to california until about 3 weeks after the fires. The trail is definately in poor condition, it's probablly better now than it will be in a few months after it starts raining again too. Current conditions are really loose, places are very sandy. Some of the ruts have been graciously filled in and the WC section is pretty rideable and fun. The fire road from the end of Eco to Peutz Valley rd is really torn up, I've been riding it every week for about two months now and ended up having a pretty good crash just last week, you get a lot of speed coming down the road and little rock gardens and rut gardens seem to sneak up on you without enough warning to brake. I think it's a fun trail but from what I have heared it's nothing like it used to be.

bfranke

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
San Diego
Thanks for the update, sounds the same as when we rode it shortly after the fires. Some buddies are riding it this Friday AM, we'll see how it goes.

Have you seen much of Bofus?

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
I have these places in my head but PegBoy knows all the freeride stuff in SD. He used to be a cocky freerider over here.. PM him for infos

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
The only thing that Orven has in his head are images of young pubescent naked boys. The avitars and live in girl are just a front. I rode up the chairlift with him once at Big Bear and he touched me kinda funny. He said if I came over to his place in Chula Vista he would show me his Nicolai. This kinda scared me. I think he did it 'cause I'm a roadie and don't have a problem wearing spandex.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
bfranke said:
Thanks for the update, sounds the same as when we rode it shortly after the fires. Some buddies are riding it this Friday AM, we'll see how it goes.

Have you seen much of Bofus?
I got a trunk full of fire wood from Bofus a few weeks ago, he seemed pretty friendly actually, but I was acting like a social neighbor not an angry mountain biker.

I actually think he's calmed down a bit since putting up the wall, he's effectively blocked himself from destroying the trail and most of the bikers are going around his property to get to the trail. I live right down the road the road gap crosses (which is in really bad shape BTW) so I've been riding up from my property to the top and then down and back up peutz valley rd. I don't park under the bridge and I don't ride past bofus' house so I haven't had as much trouble as others have. There were a couple of vehicles broken into a few weeks back, although I have no reason to believe it was Bofus, be sure to lock your cars and don't keep any valuables in them if you park under the bridge, also it's best to park off the road on the west side just south of the bridge rather than directly under the bridge. Driving under the bridge twice or more every day I can attest that there are some pretty nutty people that hang out in that area for whatever reason, and most of them are not bikers, although we do get blamed for their trash.

Discodncr

Chimp
Apr 25, 2003
Hey Ben, got your Ph#... I'll give you shout.
Did some urban this past Sunday right in La Mesa.
Maybe hook-up thursday early even.
Be careful of Peg-boy and Orven they both like... well you know (rainbows).