US economy firing on all cylinders

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
:)

US economy firing on all cylinders: data
May 4, 2006 - 7:14AM

Activity in both the vast US services sector and at factories accelerated more than expected, according to data that pointed to fresh economic vigour and the risk of more interest rate hikes.

Most economists are expecting economic growth to slow from a torrid first-quarter pace of 4.8 per cent, yet the latest figures showed no hints of slowing and appeared likely to keep the Federal Reserve leaning toward further rate rises. Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke said last week a pause in the rate-hike cycle was possible.

The Institute for Supply Management's services index rose to 63.0 in April from 60.5 in March, with new orders hitting a two-year high, confounding Wall Street estimates for a slowdown to 59.2.

In addition, the government reported new factory orders rose a stronger-than-expected 4.2 per cent in March, beating estimates for a 3.5 per cent gain, as demand for transportation equipment, computers and electronics proved robust.

Treasury debt prices fell and the dollar firmed against the euro after the data.

"It does suggest that the overall economy is improving and for the market it is part of the recent theme - all the numbers are coming in on the stronger side of expectations," said Scott Brown, chief economist at Raymond James & Associates in St Petersburg, Florida.

Financial markets have fully priced in another rate rise at the Fed's policy meeting next week, and on Wednesday raised the chances of a follow-up move in June.

"They want to keep their options open for late June but most likely they may end up leaning towards another rate hike as the data continues to come in strong," said Brown.

The services sector accounts for about 80 per cent of US economic activity, including businesses like restaurants, hotels, hair salons, banks and airlines.

"This suggests GDP growth momentum of 4.5 per cent to 5.0 per cent, rather than the slowdown to 3.25 per cent trend growth the Fed is banking on," said Ian Morris, chief US economist at HSBC.

"As a result we think this piece of news is significantly hawkish."

Businesses cited rising energy costs, with the prices-paid index hitting a six-month high, but overall activity was not dampened as new orders surged to 64.6 from 59.5.

"Most of the comments our members made this month were very positive, very bullish," said Ralph Kauffman, chair of the non-manufacturing ISM business survey committee.

"Retailers indicated that the prices they are paying are going up. I don't think that their sales are having a problem. Their profit margins are probably being squeezed somewhat."

Kaufmann also noted inventories rose in April and businesses were deliberating stockpiling goods in expectations of increased business ahead.

Separate government data showed March's gain in factory orders was caused in part to a 14.7 per cent jump in new orders for transportation equipment, while civilian aircraft and parts orders soared 71.3 per cent.

Orders for non defence capital goods climbed 12.9 per cent, the strongest increase since November. Stripped of aircraft, orders for non defence capital goods - a proxy for business spending - advanced a still-strong 3.9 per cent.

Orders for durable goods, expensive items meant to last three years or longer, advanced an even stronger 6.5 per cent in March, revised up from a 6.1 per cent gain reported last week.

The report also contained information on factory inventories that implied a small upward revision to first quarter GDP of around 0.2 percentage point, economists said, which combined with other revisions point to a pace above five per cent.

A new indicator released for the first time suggested a solid gain in April jobs, ahead of the official payrolls report due on Friday.

ADP Employer Services, a private firm, estimated the 178,000 private jobs were added in April, based on a survey sample of 14 million workers. It also estimated 22,000 government jobs were added, which would bring the month's total payrolls increase to 200,000, in line with current Wall Street consensus.

Financial markets are hoping the April jobs report will help clarify the outlook for official interest rates. Fed Chairman Bernanke last week said a pause in tightening was possible, but rates rises could resume even after a break in tightening.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm glad that the tax cuts have worked and now we are now paying back the deficit now that the GNP has grown. Oh wait a minute....

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
N8 said:
That is happening
Really? That's why the gov't officially ran out of cash for this fiscal year sometime in February and is now running on what amounts to credit? To fix this, they raise the debt ceiling in order to borrow more money so that they don't default.

The debt is going up, not down.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
U.S. Budget Deficit Will Be `Well Below' Forecast, Adams Says
May 4 (Bloomberg)

The U.S. budget deficit will be ``well below'' the government's original prediction for a record shortfall this fiscal year because of surging tax revenue, a senior Treasury official said.

``We think that this year's number will actually come in well below the estimate,'' Tim Adams, undersecretary for international affairs, told reporters today in Hyderabad, India. ``Revenues are sufficiently strong. We think the actual number for 2006 will be closer to what we saw last year.''

The fastest economic growth in more than two years and the best first quarter for hiring since 2000 are boosting the Treasury's tax revenue. A smaller deficit may neutralize criticism of Republican economic policy ahead of November congressional elections, and deflect arguments that U.S. fiscal policy risks hurting the global economy.

``It clears the way for the legislative effort to make the tax cuts permanent,'' said Mike Englund, chief economist at Action Economics LLC in Boulder, Colorado. ``It may also impact election year rhetoric after the September data are released in October, just before the November elections.''

In February, the White House said costs for hurricane relief and wars in Iraq and Afghanistan would inflate the deficit to $423 billion, or 3.2 percent of the economy, in the fiscal year ending Sept. 30. In 2005, the deficit shrunk for the first time in George W. Bush's presidency, narrowing to $319 billion, or 2.6 percent of gross domestic product.

Adams's remarks came at a press conference at the annual meeting of the Asian Development Bank. Last month at meetings of the Group of Seven nations in Washington, Adams and Treasury Secretary John Snow downplayed U.S. fiscal policy's contribution to record imbalances of trade and investment flows that the International Monetary Fund says threaten the world economy.

Good by Comparison

``We don't think this is the time to be putting into place contractionary fiscal policies above and beyond what's already in the system,'' Adams said today. ``Our deficit-to-GDP ratios are well within the historical norms of the U.S. and, given international comparisons, they're pretty good.''

The U.S. budget deficit may be $100 billion less than the Bush administration's February estimate, economists said.

Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc., JPMorgan Chase & Co. and RBS Greenwich Capital are among firms that have cut their forecasts, or say they likely will do so.

Among the reasons: a Treasury report on May 1 showed tax receipts rose 12 percent in April from a year ago. Spending, by contrast, has lagged expectations, Drew Matus of Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. and other economists said.

Deficit Forecasts Slashed

Englund foresees a deficit of $270 billion. Several other economists, including Matus, Robert Mellman of JPMorgan Securities Inc. and Stephen Stanley of RBS Greenwich Capital have slashed their deficit forecasts. Mellman said non-withheld taxes are 12.9 percent higher in April than the year-earlier month.

``We could end up with a deficit below $300 billion,'' said Ward McCarthy, principal at Stone & McCarthy Research in Skillman, New Jersey. McCarthy said he'll likely cut his $370 billion deficit forecast next week as a revenue surge from last month's tax-filing deadline starts to tail off.

Bush pledged in 2004 to cut the fiscal deficit to about 2 percent of gross domestic product before he leaves office in 2009.

Snow has said this year that he expected the federal shortfall to rise because of spending on the recovery from Hurricane Katrina.

Hurricane Relief

So far, actual spending on those recovery efforts has been only a fraction of the $103 billion that's been appropriated. Of the $34 billion allocated to the Federal Emergency Management Agency for hurricane relief, only $18 billion was spent, according to documents on the House Appropriations Committee Web site.

Englund said the daily Treasury data from April show a surplus for the month of $100 billion.

Matus said tax receipts are about $25 billion higher so far this year than last and government spending is low.

``Cash outlays haven't been in line with appropriations,'' he said. Matus cut his deficit forecast to $375 billion from $400 billion in early April and he said that forecast may not hold.

The Treasury yesterday said it would sell $34 billion of notes next week in its smallest quarterly refunding since May 2002 as the fastest economic growth in more than two years boosts receipts. The U.S. plans to pay down $51 billion of its $8.4 trillion in debt this quarter after borrowing $30 billion less in the first quarter than its initial plan of $188 billion in debt sales.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
narlus said:
so we'll still have a deficit, right? we're just not going bankrupt as fast, but not fixing the problem?
Clinton left us with a huge hole to try to dig out of. George is doing the best he can (I really believe that, btw...the US is being run just like every thing else he's ever touched, and I don't have to tell you how well Dubya's business career turned out. The man almost like Midas...)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
The U.S. budget deficit will be ``well below'' the government's original prediction for a record shortfall this fiscal year because of surging tax revenue, a senior Treasury official said.
so the deficit for this year is lower than any other point this year? :think:

The U.S. budget deficit may be $100 billion less than the Bush administration's February estimate, economists said.
So if I tell women that I have a 2" penis and it's twice as big, will that impress?

Silver said:
Clinton left us with a huge hole to try to dig out of.
How dare he run a surplus? That just leads to more hands in the cookie jar. That kind of policy only leads to trouble.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Since we are still yet to run a surplus and the economy is growing fast it means we are borrowing a good economy. Growing too fast is just as bad as things slowing down, makes a crash hurt more. Balance growth and debt.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Westy said:
Since we are still yet to run a surplus and the economy is growing fast it means we are borrowing a good economy. Growing too fast is just as bad as things slowing down, makes a crash hurt more. Balance growth and debt.
your logic is not appreciated.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
LordOpie said:
your logic is not appreciated.

If I used better grammar, backed up my statements with facts, references and generally sounded like I knew what I was talking about it would almost be like a MikeD post. I hate that kind of crap.

The government sucks and Bush is a windowlicking slave of the military-industrial-fundamentalist complex.

I feel better now.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
:)

Dow Less Than 185 Pts. From All-Time High
CHRISTOPHER WANG, AP Business Writer
5 May

NEW YORK - Stocks rallied Friday as a new report showing moderating job growth reinforced Wall Street's hopes that the Federal Reserve may soon end its series of interest rate hikes. The Dow Jones industrial average climbed nearly 100 points to a fresh six-year high.

Investors saw a slowdown in April employment growth as the latest sign of a softening economy, a reason for the Fed to stop raising interest rates. That countered worries over rising wages, which followed an upswing in employers' labor costs reported by the Labor Department Thursday.

Jack Caffrey, equities strategist for JPMorgan Private Bank, said the market appeared to be focusing on recent positive data instead of considering the long-term consequences of why the Fed would stop boosting interest rates — because economic growth has slowed enough to contain inflation.

"People are taking the weaker job creation, the stability in the unemployment rate and the uptick in jobless claims and spinning that into a hope the Fed will move to the sideline sooner than later," Caffrey said. "It's almost a hope-for-relief rally instead of a 'the Fed is done, things are slowing down' mentality."

Falling oil prices also helped stocks to their gains, although some believe higher gasoline prices will pressure consumer spending and keep the economy from overheating.

In early afternoon trading, the Dow climbed 99.49, or 0.87 percent, to 11,538.35, less than 185 points away from its all-time high of 11,722.98, reached Jan. 14, 2000.

Broader stock indicators were higher. The Standard & Poor's 500 index was up 9.13, or 0.7 percent, at 1,321.38, its highest level since February 2001; the Nasdaq composite index advanced 11.59, or 0.5 percent, to 2,335.49.

Advancing issues led decliners by a robust 3 to 1 margin on the New York Stock Exchange, where volume of 888.8 million shares trailed the 957.7 million shares changing hands at the same point Thursday.

Bonds recouped recent losses, with the yield on the 10-year Treasury note falling to 5.12 percent from 5.15 percent late Thursday. The U.S. dollar sank against the Japanese yen and was flat against European currencies, while gold prices lingered at $680 per ounce.

Crude futures edged up following a three-day decline spurred by government data showing improving supplies of gasoline and flat motor fuel demand. A barrel of light crude added 31 cents to $70.25 on the New York Mercantile Exchange.

The Labor Department said U.S. employers added 138,000 jobs in April, far less than estimates for a 200,000 gain. Average hourly earnings meanwhile jumped 0.5 percent, above the consensus target of 0.3 percent. The unemployment rate held steady at 4.7 percent.

Warner Music Group Corp. reported a loss for the latest quarter amid declining revenue from its music publishing business. However, record music sales rose 9 percent, led by a threefold jump in digital sales. Warner Music's stock rose 36 cents to $29.10.

Medco Health Solutions Inc. posted a 66 percent slide in first-quarter profit, hurt by a $100 million charge to settle three legal matters. Medco nonetheless rose $2.32 to $53.09.

Luxury homebuilder Toll Brothers Inc. rose 61 cents to $30.25 despite saying its signed contracts tumbled 29 percent last quarter and lowering its forecast for full-year home deliveries.

The Russell 2000 index of smaller companies added 6.54, or 0.84 percent, to 781.26. The index crossed 700 points for the first time in early January and has continued pushing to new all-time highs in 2006.

Japan's markets were closed Friday for a national holiday. Britain's FTSE 100 rose 0.91 percent, Germany's DAX index surged 1.22 percent and France's CAC-40 was higher by 1.01 percent.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
fluff said:
So you're nearly back to where you were 6 years ago then?
so you're saying that, overall, for the past six years, our stock market has, essentially, been flatline?

Well, it matches the President's EEG.

Oct 7, 2005
Bozeman MT
I wonder if all of these "smarter-than-Bush" fellas are going to run for office someday. Perhaps if the POTUS ran the country from a forum? Then we'd have an economy that is the greatest in the world and we could do everything we needed to protect the country while maintaining a balanced budget. :help:

Oct 7, 2005
Bozeman MT
LordOpie said:
Well, it matches the President's EEG.
I've got nothing against Opie here, but this is the only type of reasoning that the left uses to justify why they want a different president. This is why the left is disappearing.

Quick story: I was sitting at a campfire last year, when a very drunk/stoned 19 year old stumbles up with mustard all over his leg and shirt and stumbles to the ground, hotdog in hand. He just felt he'd offer his $.02 and say in all of HIS glory, (slurring), "Buuuuushhhh is a ****in iiiiiidiot." It was then that I knew why the left loses all of the time. I realized that this was the majority of their constituency.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
alwaysbroncin19 said:
I wonder if all of these "smarter-than-Bush" fellas are going to run for office someday. Perhaps if the POTUS ran the country from a forum? Then we'd have an economy that is the greatest in the world and we could do everything we needed to protect the country while maintaining a balanced budget. :help:
Uh, Clinton was smarter. Clinton had created a budget surplus. Clinton did not conduct any full scale invasions (although he did authorize some half-hearted, small scale ones which blew up in our faces, literally).

And no one destroyed the World Trade Center on his watch (although they tried).

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
alwaysbroncin19 said:
I've got nothing against Opie here, but this is the only type of reasoning that the left uses to justify why they want a different president. This is why the left is disappearing.

Quick story: I was sitting at a campfire last year, when a very drunk/stoned 19 year old stumbles up with mustard all over his leg and shirt and stumbles to the ground, hotdog in hand. He just felt he'd offer his $.02 and say in all of HIS glory, (slurring), "Buuuuushhhh is a ****in iiiiiidiot." It was then that I knew why the left loses all of the time. I realized that this was the majority of their constituency.
So if the leaders of the Republican party are representative of their constituancy this makes them: coke addicted, d student, alcoholic, lying, homophobic, bible thumping accesories to murder.

Sweet! Now I understand why they have a 30% satisfaction rate with the American people...including their fellow republicans.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Employment to population ratio tells a different story. There is a substantial portion of America that has just dropped out of the race.