Quantcast

US Open of MTB - Live Thread

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
2 of the times i saw him take it, he was trying to avoid someone slower trying the middle lines. i didnt think anything of it, but i guess he liked it.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Can anybody explain to me what it was like jumping it from the perspective of a spectator and/or competitor. I know it's a straight forward finish jump and I've done some decent sized ones, namely the one from 2 of the last 3 opens and all the Snowshoe road gaps.

But watching the pros, it didn't look like they were scrubbing speed to clean that thing or pumping the tranny. It looked like the jump was wanting to put you way past the transition and that all the top guys were having to fight the bike to get backside rather than flatland?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
some people were overclearing it and of course a lot were casing the jump.
most of the top pros went into the jump pretty smooth and werent pedaling and or pumping into the jump. some were whipping it out just a bit to clear the landing's lip

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
was overclearing just a hard landing?
think about it. the lip was 6 feet off the ground, knuckle was 40 feet out, knuckle to flat was another 20 feet out and 10 feet up. put it all together, 60 foot out and 20 foot drop to flat is gonna hurt. Giant/HBG rider Gavin Vaughan overshoot the landing and landed on his front wheel in the water bar and quali'd 23rd in pro, he said if it wasnt for the dorado he wouldnt have road away from that one, it saved his ass.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
some people were overclearing it and of course a lot were casing the jump.
most of the top pros went into the jump pretty smooth and werent pedaling and or pumping into the jump. some were whipping it out just a bit to clear the landing's lip

That part of the hill is not very steep, so they built up a somewhat steeper landing transition to ease the impact from a hit that size. Given the 40 foot gap, the landing transition was pretty short for the faster riders, so you saw a lot of them coasting into it and bubba scrubbing to try to stay low. If they really pedaled at it they probably would have landed way past the transition. On the other hand, the way they built the landing created sort of a hump at the lip (knuckle) that gave the slower riders fits, with a lot of people casing it and getting ejected. The gusty winds out there were apparently also a problem.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
was overclearing just a hard landing?
yeah as yuro said, youd be landing to flat since the transition was pretty short.
the senders were hucking it 60' to flat, easily
after all the racing was done on Sunday, there were also a ton of divots from 30-40' from the take-off. they had to be hard casses since the dirt was hard as fvck

That part of the hill is not very steep, so they built up a somewhat steeper landing transition to ease the impact from a hit that size. Given the 40 foot gap, the landing transition was pretty short for the faster riders, so you saw a lot of them coasting into it and bubba scrubbing to try to stay low. If they really pedaled at it they probably would have landed way past the transition. On the other hand, the way they built the landing created sort of a hump at the lip (knuckle) that gave the slower riders fits, with a lot of people casing it and getting ejected. The gusty winds out there were apparently also a problem.
its not steep, but its at the very bottom of the ski slope. they were also coastin because they would be hauling into the jump. and that knuckle on the landing caused those with no speed, to get bucked...bad

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
its not steep, but its at the very bottom of the ski slope. they were also coastin because they would be hauling into the jump. and that knuckle on the landing caused those with no speed, to get bucked...bad
That's pretty much what I said. For a hit that size they wanted a steeper landing transition than the existing slope. So they built one, but it was pretty short, so the fast guys had to check speed, and it also created the problematic knuckle for the slower folks.

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
I still think that the go around was just as fast as the finish jump... Instead of coasting up to the jump you could crank, then once you got over to the go around you could pedal more, hop water bar and pedal to the finish. Unless you were scrubbing the crap out of that jump I don't think it was much faster, if at all... Thoughts?

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Oh please. That is the stupid's thing I have heard in awhile.
must be from all the flex those things have, haha

the jump had a bit too much lip for the speed you carried on thursday but that was fixed when they took a bit off of the lip for Friday's practice.

biggest "issue" was the knuckle on the landing... if they had swallowed their pride of having a 40 foot kicker they could have shaved the knuckle and still had a safe 40 foot kicker with a safe zone at 35 feet that would keep from ejecting those that came up a bit short.

I am all for big jumps, and this one was fine for any of us who had jumped this sort of thing before, but as someone else mentioned these jumps are not too common in races these days. leaving it as it was and opening if for all classes was just asking to have ambulance shuttle runs all day long.... and that's just what they got.

would have taken 15 minutes to resolve and made safe for non-pro riders

oh, and it was great to see Sean out interacting with racers and the crowd and showing his face at event that he pumps up so much each year... oh, wait, he never left his office, that's right :thumb:

Edit: Invite for Shawn to chime in as to why this was the greatest US Open EVER

Last edited:

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
biggest "issue" was the knuckle on the landing... if they had swallowed their pride of having a 40 foot kicker they could have shaved the knuckle and still had a safe 40 foot kicker with a safe zone at 35 feet that would keep from ejecting those that came up a bit short.

I am all for big jumps, and this one was fine for any of us who had jumped this sort of thing before, but as someone else mentioned these jumps are not too common in races these days. leaving it as it was and opening if for all classes was just asking to have ambulance shuttle runs all day long.... and that's just what they got.

would have taken 15 minutes to resolve and made safe for non-pro riders

oh, and it was great to see Sean out interacting with racers and the crowd and showing his face at event that he pumps up so much each year... oh, wait, he never left his office, that's right :thumb:

Edit: Invite for Shawn to chime in as to why this was the greatest US Open EVER

Mr. Trump, your the first person on these forums that seem to be on the same wavelength as me about the Open.:thumb:

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Mr. Trump, your the first person on these forums that seem to be on the same wavelength as me about the Open.:thumb:
youve obviously never read any of my posts about it.

$90 for ams?? no USAC affiliation? no re-runs? take it or leave it attitude?
best attendance ever, with no lift lines like prior years? riiight

Last edited:

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
and they should keep it up all year so people can practice jumping 40-55 footers.
there arent too many races here on the east with that type of jump.
Yeah I was scared the first time I hit it, just followed a friend off it. Just so much fun after that! I had never hit a gap that big before. I thought they did shave some of the knuckle off the landing after strait told someone to. They tightened the entrance turn a little to but that really didn't do anything.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I thought they did shave some of the knuckle off the landing after strait told someone to. They tightened the entrance turn a little to but that really didn't do anything.
i thought the knocked down the take-off lip(?)
and yes, the re-taping didnt do anything to quell the speeds

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003

did you get an angry email from Shawn yet?

All I did was question why he didn't show his face all weekend (including at awards)... just thought it was odd. Apparently that struck a nerve and I got a super defensive email from him.

no reasoning with that dude... facts are facts Steve it does not matter that there were no lift lines and that there was ample parking. Attendance, sponsorship, spectators, etc were all up this year. The facts speak for themselves.

and the only glitch all weekend was due "a rogue photographer" who moved course tape and caused the 20 minute delay in qualifiers.

whatever... I guess I am just a whiney racer who hates to see people getting carted off in ambulances, and doesn't like to see racers who spend their money on events year after year get taken advantage of by complacency and a take it or leave it attitude.

Last edited:

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
i thought the knocked down the take-off lip(?)
and yes, the re-taping didnt do anything to quell the speeds
Not sure, Just going by what I hear strait telling neethling when I was over at the trek tent. And some of the park guys in the bike shop were saying the same thing. I know I cased it twice and it didn't buck me at all...but I didn't hit it until friday.

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007

I guess I have not read your post, my apologies. I just happened to see Daves, my days are spent outside, on a bike or doing other activities, not scanning a forum all day long.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast

All I did was question why he didn't show his face all weekend (including at awards)... just thought it was odd. Apparently that struck a nerve and I got a super defensive email from him.

no reasoning with that dude... facts are facts Steve it does not matter that there were no lift lines and that there was ample parking. Attendance, sponsorship, spectators, etc were all up this year. The facts speak for themselves.

and the only glitch all weekend was due "a rogue photographer" who moved course tape and caused the 20 minute delay in qualifiers.

whatever... I guess I am just a whiney racer who hates to see people getting carted off in ambulances, and doesn't like to see racers who spend their money on events year after year get taken advantage of by complacency and a take it or leave it attitude.

LOL, oh man you are on the ban wagon now:thumb:

suffocating

Chimp
Jun 2, 2010

People getting carted off in ambulances sucks, but most didn't. It's up to the individual to know their limits, if I'm racing motocross and have seen Ryan Villopoto doing 95 foot doubles it doesn't mean I should go out and try the same line cause he did it and made it look easy.

And you really need him to justify to you why this was the greatest US Open ever? You should just stay home next year to boycott the "complacency and take it or leave it attitude"

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

no reasoning with that dude... facts are facts Steve it does not matter that there were no lift lines and that there was ample parking. Attendance, sponsorship, spectators, etc were all up this year. The facts speak for
themselves.

not this year i didnt. i got plenty of them in the past about the topics we both mentioned.
i could care less now. its not hard to hear what racers are saying if you get out there with your customers and mingle.

and was your last part sarcastic? its hard to tell online. cause it didnt really seemed as packed as last year

either way, ill still suck it up and pony up the coin every year because i like to race and its still a fun general enviorment

Last edited:

G30RG3ryan

Monkey
Feb 24, 2002
Sparta, NJ
This guy knows what's up. There was a go-around the jump all weekend, nobody was required to hit the jump.

There were complaints about the jump on Thursday (from myself as well) regarding the little bit of extra kick at the top of the takeoff. Note was taken of this, and I spent quite a bit of time after practice to fix this problem. The next day the jump was sweet. I asked a bunch of people what they thought of it that day and everyone seemed psyched about the changes. I didn't hear any complaints about the landing all weekend.

In my opinion the jump was good to go. The run-up was a little quick, but that didn't seem to be much of a problem once the take-off was fixed. If you knew how to jump, it wasn't that hard, if you weren't a jumper, there was always the go-around.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003

People getting carted off in ambulances sucks, but most didn't. It's up to the individual to know their limits, if I'm racing motocross and have seen Ryan Villopoto doing 95 foot doubles it doesn't mean I should go out and try the same line cause he did it and made it look easy.

And you really need him to justify to you why this was the greatest US Open ever? You should just stay home next year to boycott the "complacency and take it or leave it attitude"
Great first post, thanks for signing up just to share...

So by your logic a take it or leave it attitude is a good way to treat paying customers? No wonder there was no lift line all weekend. In previous years it stretched through the village with waits of 30 minutes. This year you could practically ride right on.

Edit: thanks for the PM calling me arrogant. But signing up today and making your first post directed at me is super obnoxious, and yes, arrogant

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
FWIW, i thought the jump was fine, (although i only ride friday-sunday) The lift line was dead this year, and i would-have guessed attendance was down, although i have no numbers to prove it. Are we really complaining about a big jump? Was there too many rocks too? was the dirt to dirty?

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
FWIW, i thought the jump was fine, (although i only ride friday-sunday) The lift line was dead this year, and i would-have guessed attendance was down, although i have no numbers to prove it. Are we really complaining about a big jump? Was there too many rocks too? was the dirt to dirty?
Yeah, where are people getting this data that says this year was the biggest year....Weren't there over 500 racers last year? I don't remember seeing that many qualifiers on the list.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yea well, Jabba's desert barge wasn't ready yet

Last edited:

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Now...it's a shame top riders like Bryn and Beaumont dont race the finals....

The top names should be a special license for finals.

Top 10 from the previous year (and especially any prior winner) should absolutely be protected for finals. Total BS that those guys travel all that way and the teams spend that kind of money to make Diablos event better for everyone and they get jipped like that.