Quantcast

Used high end fork vs brand new midrange one? Help!

1TrackMind

Chimp
Jun 23, 2006
Vermont-Baltimore-Atlanta
Ok, so its time for a new fork. I origionally wanted to budget $150ish for a used one but after some research I found that I would have to go higher for a nicer one. So basically I can get a brand new in box 2008 Tora 318 Uturn for the same price (roughly) as a used and rebuilt once, Fox Tales. My contact guy at the local shop that I trust raves about the technology in Fox forks and says hands down get the used fox even if its been rebuilt. Your opinions?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Question: when you need to rebuild your Tora, do you think it is will be better or worse than a Fox Talas?

I'm still using my 2004 Talas, rebuild once by Push.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
I clicked with a slightly different opinion on what a midrange fork would be...go for the used Talas, if its in good condition.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The tora would get through at least 1-2 seasons with me before needing a rebuild.
Going that long between rebuilds pretty much guarantees you'll wreck your stanchions in no time and damage your bushings too - just because you can go for a long period of time without service doesn't mean you should.

The TALAS is definitely a better fork. Just be sure to ask lots of questions, and make sure the fork really is in good shape. I just got a used Pike for pretty cheap, and the thing feels brand new. I have also gotten used things in bad shape, so just be careful.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Going that long between rebuilds pretty much guarantees you'll wreck your stanchions in no time and damage your bushings too - just because you can go for a long period of time without service doesn't mean you should.

The TALAS is definitely a better fork. Just be sure to ask lots of questions, and make sure the fork really is in good shape. I just got a used Pike for pretty cheap, and the thing feels brand new. I have also gotten used things in bad shape, so just be careful.
Another vote for the TALAS here. good luck!

1TrackMind

Chimp
Jun 23, 2006
Vermont-Baltimore-Atlanta

Well, I'm a weekend warrior......so 1-2 seasons of use is probobly 1/2 a season for some of you guys. :thumb:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
A fork rebuild, depending on the owner, is not a bad thing.

A fork has lots of moving parts and does require a rebuild.

If the owner let the fork seize up before rebuilding it, well, you should pass.

But if he rebuilt it as part of regular maintenance, it is probably gold.

On the other hand, the Talas is lighter than the Tora, better constructed than the Tora, and you should cycle both forks set for the same sag. I think you will be able to tell which is the better fork.

miatagal96

Chimp
Feb 7, 2007
The 318 Tora is a good fork. No question that the Talas is better. I have a 318 Tora on my geared hard-tail and a Fox F100 on my single-speed. When I ride the 318 Tora I don't find myself cursing it or being disappointed with it, even after riding the Fox F100. On the other hand, when I ride the Fox F100 fork, I really appreciate its smoothness. It's also almost 1.5 lbs lighter than the Tora and it has more adjustment capability.

I spent 2 seasons with these 2 bikes enjoyed my geared hard-tail with the 318 Tora thoroughly. But, I just upgraded the frame to steel and I decided that the new frame was worthy of a new front end, so I just ordered a Fox F100 and lighter bars for that bike. Good bye Tora.

I'd go for the Talus if I was pretty confident that it was taken care of.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I have the Tora 318 solo air on my hardtail. Fun fork especially for the price. It was a bit sticky for the first 10 rides but once it broke in, it was butta. IMHO, a great budget fork that does the job of a higher end fork.

Last edited:
As a professional bike mechanic I would say go for the used talas. By the time a tora under your riding schedule needs a rebuild it will worth less than the $70 rebuild.
A few year old fox of any nature is going to be more tech. advanced than any fork in the price range of a the tora.
Not to say that the tore is a bad fork, it is just a "sport/rec" level fork where the fox is a "competition" level fork.
Also with the fox when more disposable money comes around you could get it tuned/rebuilt to accommodate your personal needs.
On a final note with the tora I have seen several brand new ones with stuck or seized seal heads. Be weary.

disasterarea

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
I presume here the OP is talking about a 2008 TALAS, if it's not the same year please disregard the following. I had one and when it worked, wow. But a few months into owning it, the thing stuck down and damping went south also. To be fair though, it was riding ok after being fixed under warranty - lucky for me as it would have cost me half a kidney to fix it otherwise. Although I managed to rebuild a pike myself, I am nowhere near competent enough to open up the talas for self servicing. This could be worth bearing in mind as the talas is higher maintenance than some. Apart from this the talas is quite a splendid fork and you certainly go quicker than you think you would as it's so confidence inspiring. No comment on the tora as I've no experience with one.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I presume here the OP is talking about a 2008 TALAS, if it's not the same year please disregard the following. I had one and when it worked, wow. But a few months into owning it, the thing stuck down and damping went south also. To be fair though, it was riding ok after being fixed under warranty - lucky for me as it would have cost me half a kidney to fix it otherwise. Although I managed to rebuild a pike myself, I am nowhere near competent enough to open up the talas for self servicing. This could be worth bearing in mind as the talas is higher maintenance than some. Apart from this the talas is quite a splendid fork and you certainly go quicker than you think you would as it's so confidence inspiring. No comment on the tora as I've no experience with one.
There is a difference.

Your problem with the Talas was with the damping cartridge. There is no fixing that by the average bike shop or home mechanic.

Rebuilding a fork is replacing the oil and the seals, which most mechanics can do.

You should definitely mention that your fork needed a warranty cartridge fix or replacement, but it is different than a normal rebuild.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Actually I would figure out do you really need the travel adjust? I prefer the Float over the talas any day. It is a smoother fork, less expensive stuff to break, less expensive to maintain. You can get one with a lock out which works fine for climbing and the float is lighter then the talas. I would avoid any of the older talas forks since they do tend to have a higher failure rate.

disasterarea

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
There is a difference.

Your problem with the Talas was with the damping cartridge. There is no fixing that by the average bike shop or home mechanic.

Rebuilding a fork is replacing the oil and the seals, which most mechanics can do.

You should definitely mention that your fork needed a warranty cartridge fix or replacement, but it is different than a normal rebuild.
The fork was fixed under warranty though they never divulged what was done to it. Most likely the damping cart. as you mentioned. Will bare that in mind about the oil/seal replacement come service time though. Thanks for the info.