Quantcast

Using an 09 Specialized SX for DS/4x and XC?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
My 03 Enduro gave up the ghost last night. She has no more love to give me.

I have been looking at a Yeti 4x for next season for a 4x bike. I am getting old, full suspension is looking better and better for that sort of thing.

However, now with the death of my XC bike, I need two bikes. Damn wouldn't it be nice to kill two birds with one stone.

The new SX (not the SX trail) is 4.2 inches of travel, has an ISCG mount, and comes in special colors.

Do you think if I set it up I could use this as a comfortable XC bike over lets say something like a Blur LT2 and then drop the post and run it as a 4x and trips to Colonnade bike?

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I dont know about the XS but as for the yeti 4x I would not recommend it for anything but 4x racing. It is not setup and really can't be set up in my opinion as a once in a while XC frame.
I tried xc on my 4x and it was a no go from the start.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
That's sort of my worry with the idea. Lately I have been wanting bikes that can fill more then one position on the roster, more Swiss Army style utility.

I've got my 303 for out and out DH, I've got my Nomad for free riding and lighter DH, I've got my morewood for dirt jumping. Now that the XC bike as moved on to the great bike store in the sky, I want something I can do both on.

I guess if I have to buy two bikes I will, or maybe just replace the XC bike with a Blur Lt2 and call it a day. Never was that great of a 4x/DS racer anyway.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
That's sort of my worry with the idea. Lately I have been wanting bikes that can fill more then one position on the roster, more Swiss Army style utility.

I've got my 303 for out and out DH, I've got my Nomad for free riding and lighter DH, I've got my morewood for dirt jumping. Now that the XC bike as moved on to the great bike store in the sky, I want something I can do both on.

I guess if I have to buy two bikes I will, or maybe just replace the XC bike with a Blur Lt2 and call it a day. Never was that great of a 4x/DS racer anyway.
I highly suggest a Sinister Gruitr for just that reason.
It is perfect for XC, freeride, light dh and can be setup perfectly for 4x and dual slalom. I have done all of them with the bike and I am amazed every day by it.
The freeride build has a RS lyrik 160mm and a RS monarch 4.2, the dual slalom build has a RS pike u-turn 95-140 and a RS monarch 4.2.
Seriously look into it.
FR build comes in at 31lbs.

AZRacerX

Monkey
Mar 4, 2003
Kent, WA
I have an '05 SX short and it rules for slalom/4X/dirt jumping, but it is too short to be a comfortable XC bike. Why not lighten up the Nomad a little bit and use it as a dual purpose freeride/XC rig? That's basically what I do with my Giant Reign XO.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
The iron horse mkIII was used as a for 4X at the nationals level. I never used one that way, but I did use mine for XC/all-mountain and thought it was great. Same frame. Seems like that would fit the bill.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I think after some advice I am going to just go to the two bike idea. Its a pretty wide spread to get it to do both.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
The problem is that there is no Sinister dealer anywhere even on my side of the country. For what I am spending on bikes these days I like to ride them before I buy them. I've ridden the Yeti and the SC, know how they behave and what they're going to do.

I liked the idea of getting another specialized, but the new Enduro just does nada for me.

So for those of you who have ridden the SX, how does it stack up against the Yeti 4x as a DS and 4x only machine?

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
The problem is that there is no Sinister dealer anywhere even on my side of the country. For what I am spending on bikes these days I like to ride them before I buy them. I've ridden the Yeti and the SC, know how they behave and what they're going to do.

I liked the idea of getting another specialized, but the new Enduro just does nada for me.

So for those of you who have ridden the SX, how does it stack up against the Yeti 4x as a DS and 4x only machine?
Where do you live again? We have people in Colorado, Seattle, All over CA, and a few other places. There is a dealer in CO and CA that have gruitrs. I can get you names if you would like.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Where do you live again? We have people in Colorado, Seattle, All over CA, and a few other places. There is a dealer in CO and CA that have gruitrs. I can get you names if you would like.
This winter I am in Reno, NV. I hide out here when the snow falls.

Where in CA? I'd be down to give it a rip.
How long you worked for the Sinister Empire?

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I must say, after having ridden a friends sx, built with burly parts including a 36 talas fork and mostly diety stuff, that is one of the most capable bikes i've seen in a while. Climbs ok, dirt jumps well, corners awesome. (new frame should be similar)
Having also ridden a Blur 4x, which felt a little high and xcish sort of awkward on dirt jumps because the tt is pretty high, 2 different Intense Tazers very low pretty slack fast but really short top tubes and cant handle the long travel fork very well, Multiple Transition Double's good bikes but in my opinion a little on the portly side of frame weight/ not as versatile as the SX.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
I must say that my SX is probably the best single-purpose bike that I've owned. It rules on the DS/4x track. I finally tried to use it as a xc/trail bike a few weeks ago and it is just too small. If it was bigger then it would just be incredible. Or, the large would be great for a smaller person. The head angle is a little slack for climbing but I don't think many on the dh forum care to much about climbing.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
bikenweed has an SX he uses as a do all. He seems to dig it. Make sure to get a long if you want to do dual duty. The short is pinner!

So you have:
303, DH
Nomad, freeride, mini-dh
morewood, DJ

Here's what I'd do. Lighten up the build on the Nomad to a more AM friendly setup or maybe just 2 wheelesets, so you have a AM or FR setup. Ditch the Morewood and build up the SX for a DJ/DS/4X

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Here's what I'd do. Lighten up the build on the Nomad to a more AM friendly setup or maybe just 2 wheelesets, so you have a AM or FR setup. Ditch the Morewood and build up the SX for a DJ/DS/4X
That sounds like the best option, the Nomad has the long TT suitable for when sitting down. If you have a long enough stem on it, but still short enough for agressive riding, then all you need is a XC wheel set.

I only owned my SX for a short while before I injured my self so I can't say all too much, but I'd buy it again. Will you use the same stem for XC as for 4x? Then all you will need is two wheel sets plus two sadle/post combos as the ST will probably be too slack for XC. That could be solved with a bent Thomson post pointed forward (ugly I know, but it might be your only option if you're going to run it both ways).

Use a SRAM or Shimano Shadow rear deralier to avoid it from constantly banging on the CS. If you still have problems with that then a scotsch brite ziptied to the CS might help.

You're a pretty tall aren't you? A long Blur 4x might suit you better for this type of use.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I am all of 5'10", so not all that tall.

I talked it over with the wife. So long as I keep my end of the deal of dropping my weight down to 190 before she gets back in late March then I can do as I please with my bonus money.

Right now I think I am going to get the Blur LT2 for my XC ride, and then once I can get an SX frame in late December, early January then I think I will build one of those out for a 4x/bumpy DS rig.

If you had a choice between the SX and the Yeti 4x, for a guy who is a bit of a plow and tends to case his landings, which would you think the better?

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I just sold an SX that I had for about a year. Honestly, I miss that bike dearly and kind of regret selling it. I rode it up, down and all around. The only reason I sold it is because I felt it was too small for some of the rougher trails that we ride. I never had any trouble riding XC on it - but I'll confess that I've never owned a true XC bike so I may not know what I'm missing out on. Great bike - I would highly recommend it.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
I might be wrong but I belive a Yeti 4x weighs 2.7kg while a SX is 3.2ish, for your posture I'd choose the burlier one..

freerider858

Chimp
Aug 14, 2005
Bay Area
Sorry to bump this thread. I did a search for some information but couldnt find anything to specific so I figured it would be better then starting a new thread. Im choosing between a 2007 yeti 4x and a 2008 specialized sx. Im not racing 4x but am looking for a short travel bike to rip the the jumpy trails on. The trails I ride do have some steep stuff, and some stunts but nothing needing a real freeride bike. Is the yeti really just a dedicated race bike or would it be practical to use it as jump/trail bike. Climbing is not an issue in this decision for me. The yeti also has slightly nicer components but is $400 more than the sx. Is the inch difference in travel gonna be a big deal? Thanks for your help.

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Ive ridden the SX and think that XC wouldnt be bad on it at all. Its a super pedal-able bike and is truly do it all. However, maybe check out the Trek Remedy. A guy I work with rides XC on it, hucks rocks on it, and dirt jumps on it as well.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
My 03 Enduro gave up the ghost last night. She has no more love to give me.

I have been looking at a Yeti 4x for next season for a 4x bike. I am getting old, full suspension is looking better and better for that sort of thing.

However, now with the death of my XC bike, I need two bikes. Damn wouldn't it be nice to kill two birds with one stone.

The new SX (not the SX trail) is 4.2 inches of travel, has an ISCG mount, and comes in special colors.

Do you think if I set it up I could use this as a comfortable XC bike over lets say something like a Blur LT2 and then drop the post and run it as a 4x and trips to Colonnade bike?
FROM A REAL OWNER:

I own the 09 version of the SX 4x. It is a fun trail bike. If you intend to do any xc on it, and are over 5'4" (I am 5' 7"), I would suggest getting a large. I got a large, and I can still squeeze it into DS/4x tracks. It is the only short travel bike I have thrown a leg over that feels like it was built on a downhill platform, with less suspension, instead of a hardtail platform, with a few inches added. The long wheelbase makes it stable, the low bb makes it corner like madddd, and the slack head angle allows you to ride a little more aggressively through the rough stuff with confidence. I say go for it, but don't expect a real XC race machine. I say if you do AM 1-2 times a week, and want to go to some DS races, then take it to some jumps, go for it. It is a crazy bike though. I ride all mountain/xc on it, but have hit 30 foot tables and 10 foot drops on it.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Talk about a zombie thread... My opinions on this sort of bike have changed since my original post, these days I would say go for a BlurLT2 with a shorted eye2eye shock, this lowers the bb height and slackens the head angle as well as dropping the top tube a bit, Jamie Goldman has ridden one for a while in dirt jump comps and things that require a bit of squish with great results, since the demise of the Blur 4X it pretty much fills the void left for a short travel squishy. Also watch Kurt Vories killing it on a BLT2 in NWD10 super versatile short travel bike that will take one hell of a rider to out ride it, I would imagine that unless you are a top nationals DS racer or a WC level 4X racer it is pretty much all you need and would do all quite nicely. That said I just found one of the last brand new Blur 4X's in the world (I would think) and am building it up soon as a do all bike, 32 talas 150 with 15qr 5.1's laced to hope hubs Thomson stem and post wide bars XT cranks and servo wave brakes chainguide and a full spread cassette. Should be able to handle anything I can throw at it.

I've been searching for this kind of a bike for some time, I started the search on an Intense Tazer VP with a Push'ed Vanilla coil and 32 Talas, it was a capable little bike super nimble and tough but far too short to do any kind of XC on without killing your Knees and it was real difficult to get a full leg extension without running an obnoxiously long seat post and 175 cranks so it went. After that I picked up a '08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, and pretty much built it with the kit from the Tazer, it was a fun bike but had its limits, great for any kind of XC rides or pretty much anything requiring you to pedal to the top but get it on a DS course and it was simply too long and high to really slay corners and dirt jumps were out of the question. If you don't plan on doing any kind of racing or jumping it is probably the route I would take but if your going to spend the money why not just do the BLT2 instead?

greengreer

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
NC
+1 on the gruitr, great do it all bike. Mine is set up with a monarch and a Pike. I use it for damn near everything: I have raced downhill, ridden all-day epics, slalom tracks, dirt jumps, XC trails, you name it. I would sell a kidney before this bike.