Quantcast

Utensils?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
So, I am getting a shiny new set of pots & pans and have decided that my mix-n-match utensils are going to need to be upgraded as well. What are you all using (brand & pieces please) & why. Thanks!!!

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
I have one of these newfangerled Santoku knives....
I LOVE it. Use it for everything (except paring). It's the right size and weight.
I got mine fairly cheap at Linens N Things.

I'm also a fan of flat ended spoons... they scoop up more in a pan, you don't chase everything around.

And a spoonula, just because it's easier to eat raw cookie dough with one...

:)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I don't really have brand names, but a few good wooden spoons and a set or two of tongs are essential. I cook eggs in non-stick pans, so I've got a couple heat proof plastic spatulas (Calphalon? Not sure), including a fairly narrow one that's great for omelets. Slotted spoons are handy, so are ladles, and a wisk or two...also, get a citrus squeezer of some kind, the mexican style hand-held presses are good and cheap. Maybe a zester or micro-planer too.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I have one of these newfangerled Santoku knives....
I LOVE it. Use it for everything (except paring). It's the right size and weight.
I got mine fairly cheap at Linens N Things.

I'm also a fan of flat ended spoons... they scoop up more in a pan, you don't chase everything around.

And a spoonula, just because it's easier to eat raw cookie dough with one...

:)
I have the same knife and love it too!!! I have some pieces that are really nice (good set of stainless steel wisks and a nice set of tongs) but I would like to get a couple of wood or nylon tools too. I have a couple of nice spoons and a strainer, but they're stainless steel too.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I need to replace my old worn-out spatula...any suggestions?
Brand is pretty much unimportant but make sure that they are silcone. I get the cheapest silcone ones at whatever store I happen to be at when I think about a new spatula.

Is it weird that I think about new spatulas?

Anyhoo, I don't think I've spent more than $6.00 on a normal size one.